PDA

View Full Version : How Do I Connect a Service Tach To a 496HO?

Carl C
08-15-2007, 09:18 AM
I'd like to connect it directly to the motor and compare tach readings while running on the hose. I have a standard service tach/dwell meter (remember dwell?) with the two battery cables and the third wire that would connect to the coil in the old days. Where does that third wire connect on this motor? Also what is the highest I should rev the motor on the hose? I have closed cooling and lots of water volume out the hose. Thanks.

mrfixxall
08-15-2007, 09:28 AM
I usually go to the back of the guage (fool proof)...a quick rev wont hurt a steady 3 to 4 k wont hurt either..

Carl C
08-15-2007, 09:38 AM
I usually go to the back of the guage (fool proof)...a quick rev wont hurt a steady 3 to 4 k wont hurt either.. I was going to do that but I have 4 wires that go into a sealed housing I will have to take the tach apart to get to the connectors or find the right wire and strip some insulation. There has to be a connection on the motor. I'd assume it's one of the pins on the diagnostic connector.

mrfixxall
08-15-2007, 09:43 AM
I was going to do that but I have 4 wires that go into a sealed housing I will have to take the tach apart to get to the connectors or find the right wire and strip some insulation. There has to be a connection on the motor. I'd assume it's one of the pins on the diagnostic connector.

You can always use a paperclip in the backside of the connector..what color wires do you have going to that tach plug?

Carl C
08-15-2007, 04:35 PM
Red, white, green and black. I'd guess the green wire but I can't guess.

gcarter
08-15-2007, 05:08 PM
I have a Fluke 78 automotive meter w/an inductive pick up that will do exactly what you want...just clamp the pick up to a spark plug wire. I bought it on eBay for $150.00 "buy it now"!!!! It also has a temp probe and does all the other usual meter type things.