PDA

View Full Version : knots2U

Lenny
08-15-2007, 01:13 AM
Do you still own the rights and the "Bilt-Rite" name or have you sold it.

Very curious.

Would you consider a backyard, one off operation, whereas you build on demand, make a bit more but have the honor of saying "BILT-Rite" interior?

I am having a hard time seeing you walk away from this. If it does not make sense monetarily, then that is obvious, BUT, I am sure, in your retirement, that we (collective WE) could subsidize your 401K and make it enjoyable.

What has happened with the business?

Lenny

250-474-4005
highlnd@telus.net
leonard.green@telus.com

Thanx, Lenny and Deneen (sitting in your seats and rubbing our feet on your carpets.)

VetteLT193
08-16-2007, 10:15 AM
TTT

I can't even get PPI on the dang phone for a quote.

Cuda
08-16-2007, 12:13 PM
TTT
I can't even get PPI on the dang phone for a quote.
Last time I was at PPI, Lee told me they weren't going to be doing anymore work for private individuals, because they were so busy doing interiors for new boats. That was several years ago, things may have changed.

VetteLT193
08-16-2007, 01:29 PM
Last time I was at PPI, Lee told me they weren't going to be doing anymore work for private individuals, because they were so busy doing interiors for new boats. That was several years ago, things may have changed.

awww crap. I got the PPI number from Donzi. The guy at Donzi said they had the old templates and would make up whatever I needed.

Who wants to start a new company with me? LOL

Cuda
08-16-2007, 03:45 PM
awww crap. I got the PPI number from Donzi. The guy at Donzi said they had the old templates and would make up whatever I needed.
Who wants to start a new company with me? LOL
I bought two pairs of new bucket seats from them. One pair I ordered, when I picked them up, I saw another set in the corner covered in plastic that had obviously been sitting a while. I asked about them, he told me they were the wrong color design, so I offered to buy them, and he sold them to me. Jamesbond has them now.:)

Kirbyvv
08-17-2007, 07:52 AM
A couple of us asked Bilt Rite Bob about doing a few interiors, but he has all his stuff in storage and no place to do the work. Someone needs to buy his molds and templates and set up a new interiors business. I want a new interior for the X-18 and nobody but Bob has the molds for them.

yeller
08-17-2007, 10:47 AM
Not a lot of money in the upholstery business. You can make a living, but not very likely your going to make a killing. That's why you don't see any upholstery franchises and most of them only have a couple employees.

Not to knock Bilt-rite, because I've only heard positive about it, but any upholstery shop could do the interior. Take your boat around locally, get a few quotes. Don't just go for the cheapest, ask where you can view some of their work (pictures aren't good enough).

ITTLFLI
08-17-2007, 12:09 PM
I need an x-18 interior and a ski sporter interior!! Hopefully he decides to dust off the molds!

cutwater
08-17-2007, 12:49 PM
I need an x-18 interior and a ski sporter interior!! Hopefully he decides to dust off the molds!

I agree! I would love to have Bilt-rite do the interior for the restoration of the 1965 Ski Sporter I just bought. Lots of history there.

Mine came without any interior at all, so I don't know how I could have anyone else make an accurate replica...

knots2u
08-19-2007, 04:47 PM
Lenny, hope all is well.

Bilt-Rite is still for sale. I continue to make covers and carpet but certainly don't have the room, or manpower, to make interiors. I have been offering some items on ebay, keep an eye out. Some items don't sell even when priced below cost, that is certainly not very encouraging, maybe it is time to get out completely.
Anyway, at this point the bucket seat molds and material patterns are in storage, we will lose our current storage area at the end of the year and don't know where it all will go after that. Overhead was the primary reason for closing Bilt-Rite. As an add on to a current business it is a no brainer, as a stand alone business, supplying only Donzi Classic owners, it is not lucrative enough.
As far as any upholstery shop making the interior all I can say is good luck and don't put down more of a deposit than you are willing to walk away from.

Your friend and future Donzi owner,
Bob

Nola
01-09-2008, 03:53 PM
Hi Bob,

Curious if you settled the storage situation for the X-18 molds.

Just wanted to continue to let you know that I am still very interested in a new interior for the X. Even if it was a build on demand type of situation that Lenny proposed.

Jim

harbormaster
01-09-2008, 05:03 PM
Hey guys,

Jim at performance interiors expressed his desire to serve all of our members about 2 months ago. I am sure that has not changed. I make sure that all advertisers are receptive to all of your communications. If any of you have a problem contacting them, doesn't it make sense to let me know so I can help?

Mr X
01-09-2008, 05:13 PM
Lenny, hope all is well.
Bilt-Rite is still for sale. I continue to make covers and carpet but certainly don't have the room, or manpower, to make interiors. I have been offering some items on ebay, keep an eye out. Some items don't sell even when priced below cost, that is certainly not very encouraging, maybe it is time to get out completely.
Anyway, at this point the bucket seat molds and material patterns are in storage, we will lose our current storage area at the end of the year and don't know where it all will go after that. Overhead was the primary reason for closing Bilt-Rite. As an add on to a current business it is a no brainer, as a stand alone business, supplying only Donzi Classic owners, it is not lucrative enough.
As far as any upholstery shop making the interior all I can say is good luck and don't put down more of a deposit than you are willing to walk away from.
Your friend and future Donzi owner,
Bob
Bob,
please post a good phone number, I have 2 people that called looking for 22 classic carpet.

Jraysray
01-09-2008, 06:43 PM
Bob,
please post a good phone number, I have 2 people that called looking for 22 classic carpet.

I will be looking for carpet as well. 18 Classic.

The Hedgehog
01-09-2008, 06:53 PM
Hey guys,

Jim at performance interiors expressed his desire to serve all of our members about 2 months ago. I am sure that has not changed. I make sure that all advertisers are receptive to all of your communications. If any of you have a problem contacting them, doesn't it make sense to let me know so I can help?

I dropped him an email. He responded within a day with a quote.

farmer tx
01-09-2008, 08:33 PM
I need two barrell bucket seats for an 86' with molded pedistal.

cutwater
01-09-2008, 10:28 PM
The phone number on their website works fine, and I emailed them and they responded fairly promptly. Seemed like they would do good work.

knots2u
01-09-2008, 11:28 PM
To the best of my knowledge PPI does not have patterns for any Donzi's prior to 1996. As information, current rear bench seats for 18 and 22 Classics will fit older boats. The current bucket seat is not the same as in older years. Not to disrespect PPI, it is my understanding that interiors sold directly to Donzi in 1995-1996 were used for patterns at PPI. Interiors sold to Donzi in that specific timeframe would have been used for BRAND NEW 16, 18, and 22 Classic's. To be perfectly clear, Donzi was not buying 16 Ski Sporter, 16 o/b, X18, or Minx interiors at that time. For the record; there has been some recent discussion about re-opening Bilt-Rite, nothing concrete as the alcohol usually leads us to other topics. :biggrin.:
I do continue to make covers and carpet, feel free to contact me at bilt rite uph @ aol .com (without the spaces) or 540 793 3944.

Best regards to all,
Bob Ellmann

this is what I am doing now (http://www.guertinbrothers.com)

olredalert
01-10-2008, 09:05 AM
-----Bob,,,Went to "what you are doing now" and find the name Guertin Bros. Its funny because I grew up with one of the family, Bobby Guertin on Cape Cod. He left the family business but is still a jeweler in Hyannis. All the Guertins long ago sold out, but the name was so well respected it has stuck around as evidenced by this website. I wish you well, even if I do wish you could make the living you need to make stitching up beautiful DONZI interiors........Bill S

The Hedgehog
01-10-2008, 09:31 AM
Hey Bob,

You guys did a nice job on the carpet of my X-18 in the late summer/early fall. It really came out great. I will post some pics when I find them.

You don't happen to have a template for the ****pit cover for one do you? You did a nice job on the cover for my father's 16.

Kirbyvv
01-10-2008, 11:28 AM
Bob did a great job on my X-18 carpet also. Bob, I'd like to be first in line for an X-18 interior if you ever do get back into the interior business.

harbormaster
01-10-2008, 02:41 PM
FYI, anyone who is anyone in the Marine Market is hustling there asses off to finish boats in preparation for the Miami boat show.

If you have called Performance interiors lately and have not been answered right away, this is why.

knots2u
01-10-2008, 03:32 PM
Guertin Brothers is part of the company I work for. My department makes the channel set rings. This is where the majority of our product goes $$$$ (http://www.tiffany.com/Shopping/Category.aspx?cid=287462&mcat=148204&overlay=linkCelebrationRings)

roadtrip se
01-10-2008, 04:36 PM
My interactions with PPI have always been pretty positive.
My seven year PPI interior is high quality and holding up very well. The six year old one in the Scorp looks great too.

HM, have you given thought to brokering some sort of arrangement between the old Biltrite and PPI?

Seems like a lot of guys here are looking for stuff and can't get it done. I can't imagine the local upholstery shop is going to be cheap.

The PPI stuff is top notch, they seem to be a reputable firm, and it would be a logical fit for them, since they are already in the Donzi interior business.

rr1048
01-10-2008, 05:39 PM
Bob / Bilt Rite worked magic rebuilding and improving the seats and interior in my 20' Cigarette, about 4 years ago. They delivered me more in quality and workmanship than I expected. The seats and interior is awesome. I have included a few photos of the process. I wish Bob the very best success and his skill of building interiors that are works of art is a skill that should not be lost.

rr1048
01-10-2008, 05:43 PM
Bilt-Rite 20' Cigarette interior finished product. Thanks, Bob

justleft
01-10-2008, 07:20 PM
The carpet Bob made for my 22c is excellent !!

Real sorry I was second high bidder on the rear seat
with the one piece back on Ebay. :( Twice !

If any more show up I will be bidding.