PDA

View Full Version : minx questions

margo
08-14-2007, 05:19 PM
Hey i hated to do it but just sold my 69 16 donzi...My question is i,m looking at a minx because of the increased size in and out ...Has a 350 merc alpha drive..Is this as good in the rough as the classics...Alot of you members have them and had them looking for some input on performance and anything else i should know....Thanks Margo...

MOP
08-14-2007, 07:01 PM
The 22 will give a little better ride, but the Minx is such a cool boat and after the 16 it will be a drastic change!

Phil

gcarter
08-14-2007, 07:12 PM
What MOP said.
Also, you'll never get wet in a Minx unless you plan on it, or ya get caught in a bad rain storm like Budmann, Cuda, and I did.:boat:

techspecial
08-14-2007, 07:26 PM
I'm in love with mine!!!
You can beat the snot out of them in serious chop...
My wife say's she always feels secure because you sit
a little bit down inside of them...
Mine goes 53-55 mph with a painted bottom:wink:

Cuda
08-14-2007, 11:01 PM
I've said it before, and I'll say it again, the Minx is THE most fun boat I've ever driven. To be honest with you, it handled rough water about as well as the 22. Get one, you won't regret it. I hated to sell mine, but I made the mistake of putting the 22 in Debbie's name, we needed the money more than we needed two boats about the same size, so guess which one got to go. :(

VetteLT193
08-15-2007, 07:03 AM
I just got mine, great boat.

It's the best riding 20 footer I've ever been on... I like some of the differences between it and the 22. The engine hatch is flatter, so if you are stopped, you can put a drink on it without it falling off the boat... the cup holder area on both sides of the interior make for a great step up, to get up and over the windshield or out the side.

It's also seems easier to drive slower. I didn't think this would ever be important to me, but taking my 7 month old daughter out certainly has me back off the throttle quite a bit:wink:

Some member here (can't remember who) measured the bottoms of the Minx and the 22 and figured out the Minx is basically a shortened 22.

cutwater
08-15-2007, 09:40 AM
http://www.donzi.net/forums/showthread.php?t=48618&highlight=minx+hull

Some good reading. gcarter also posted some good threads about his work restoring a minx.

margo
08-15-2007, 11:10 AM
Thanks guys for all the imfo. you,ve been real helpful....This will be the only one on the lake i,m on in upstate N.Y. Ever heard of the great sacandaga lake It,s a 30mi long by 6mi wide body of water man made with a earth dam and controls the Hudson river Great sand islands and state campsites....Ever want to come up this way let me know...two and a half hrs north of N.Y. city Joe

gcarter
08-15-2007, 11:51 AM
Very few of these boats have ever had any serious restoration work done to them. They also tend to be in the same price range ($5-12K), so buy the best one you can for your budget.
Remember, they're all 20 year old boats most of them will eventually need fuel tanks, etc.

VetteLT193
08-15-2007, 01:46 PM
Very few of these boats have ever had any serious restoration work done to them. They also tend to be in the same price range ($5-12K), so buy the best one you can for your budget.
Remember, they're all 20 year old boats most of them will eventually need fuel tanks, etc.

I agree, except the price... I looked for well over a year (18-22 Donzi) and anything running was at least 7k, and that was usually ragged out or OMC powered. Semi-project Minx's seemed to be 10k+

The cheapest running Donzi I found was $5k (OMC Medallion)

I think realistically, you are looking at roughly 10k and it will need some cosmetic work; 13k and it will be pretty nice all around.

Now, if you are talking about non running or barely running, you might find one for 5k:wink:

Cuda
08-15-2007, 08:25 PM
I paid $5400 for my Minx, not running. I sold it for $12,500 with a 330 horse FWC 350, new interior, and a practically new aluminum trailer. I had much more in it, than I sold it for. :(

VetteLT193
08-16-2007, 06:53 AM
I paid $5400 for my Minx, not running. I sold it for $12,500 with a 330 horse FWC 350, new interior, and a practically new aluminum trailer. I had much more in it, than I sold it for. :(

Yours was nice:) I wish I bought it, but it just wasn't the right time:mad:

cutwater
08-16-2007, 09:23 AM
I paid $6500 for mine this spring, in running condition, and yes it is an OMC boat. Of course there are things that I am having to replace on it, but it's still a Donzi, still fun, and still turns the heads of people who know boats. Came with a crappy trailer, but it was good enough to get me from Charlotte to Knoxville.

It think it's a pretty slow boat market in general, so you can probably find a good deal. Like gcarter said, buy the best your budget allows. The minx is a ton of fun.

Cuda
08-16-2007, 12:18 PM
I just got mine, great boat.
It's the best riding 20 footer I've ever been on... .
My Minx was the second best 20 footer I ever rode in, considering the ride only. My Formula 20 SC rode better.

VetteLT193
08-16-2007, 12:54 PM
My Minx was the second best 20 footer I ever rode in, considering the ride only. My Formula 20 SC rode better.

I bet it did:) The smallest Formula I've been in is the 272 SR1, which has been one of my favorite boats ever since. I'll get one someday in the future:)

cutwater: I'm certainly not dogging the OMC boats, I have heard (and keep hearing) all good things about them. Just the values seem to be lower than a Merc powered boat... I was scared to buy one because of parts, and my area I'll be lucky to find a Merc mechanic. I'll never find an OMC mechanic:eek!: They do seem to be the best value.:cool:

handfulz28
08-16-2007, 02:00 PM
Other than the couple here in FL just recently, it's been a while since I've seen a Minx for sale (new posts/ads). 22Cs seem to have popped up out of everywhere.
I'll be waiting until the northerners are done with their season and don't want to winterize...