PDA

View Full Version : Elk meat is shipped, please check.......

Donziweasel
08-14-2007, 12:49 PM
Got the elk meat off today. Will PM everyone fro shipping costs. I ran out of coolers, so a couple of members will be shipped later this week or next week. Please make sure someone is around on Thursday to recieve it. Members expecting packages-

Grizz
MP
Goatee (I put that as your last name because all I saw was Mike)
PMReed
Fegettes
VonKamp
DonCig
Cuda

If anyone else is interested, let me know.

The shipping was a little more than I expected. It seems the average to Florida (where it seems most of you live, too damn hot for me) was about 70.00 for Fed Ex 2 day.

I also put a little mule deer in there for everyone. Here is a quick recipe recap-

For cooking elk, treat it like beef. Remember, elk cooks faster than beef (also defrosts faster than beef) For grilling steaks, I like to put a little bacon on it as it is 99% fat free. Also, cook it Med Rare. Best flavor and although it is good cooked any way, I think med rare it is the juiciest.

Couple of Can't Screw Up recipes-

Roast-
Put on some Worstershire, a little soy sauce, some garlic salt, Lawrys salt and pepper. Heat oven to 350. If roast is not staying together (some do, some dont, some are already tied, leave the strings on) tie with a string. Place on a baking sheet and drape some bacon over it. Cook until 130 inside(use meat thermometer). Then I take a cheat peek and make a cut in the middle. If done, cut immediatly, if not, leave be as it will continue to cook for a few minutes more without being in the oven.

Steaks- Just marinade and season to liking, grill over hot grill, be careful, as it cooks faster than beef. Can put bacon on it if it is a little dry. Or use for stir fry, etc......

Burger- Use for Burgers, Tacos, Burritos, spaghetti, use just like ground beef. About 95% lean and very healthy. Once again, cooks a little faster than beef and defrosts faster as well.

Just a couple of easy recipes (and god knows I need easy). None take more than 5 minutes to prepare. Also, I have a killer Bernaise sauce recipe that goes really well with the roasts and steaks. Bon Appetite!

pmreed
08-14-2007, 03:29 PM
Thanks, DW. Check goes out tomorrow.

Phil

Donziweasel
08-14-2007, 05:32 PM
No problem. There wasn't that much left after I shipped the 8 containers this morning. My wife and I did a pretty good job chowing elk this year. Bet we had it on average twice a week, sometimes three times. She loves to experiment with it. Had some great meals and some, due to the effort she put out, you just had to grin and bear it!:bonk: Mexican night (enchiladas and burritos) were always a big hit with me!:)

Quick recipe for Bernaise-

take four egg yolks and put in blender and blend
melt one stick of butter
Pour small amounts of butter in eggs and blend, repeat till all butter is gone (should take about 8 small pours)
Give a shot of lemon juice, blend
give a shot of tarragon vinegar, blend
give a small hit of tarragon and cayanne pepper, blend
DO NOT HEAT OR IT WILL SEPERATE
Enjoy on steaks and roasts, makes about 3 servings for dipping.

Donziweasel
08-16-2007, 04:33 PM
I was in such a rush I think I put down the other Scotts last name for you. Ooops! Got there alright? Still some what frozen?

Donziweasel
08-16-2007, 04:42 PM
I think it was the same last name thing, John Pearson, Scott Pearson. I realized it this morning. You can bust my chops some, enjoy the burritos! The packages of burger make 1 1/2 hamburgers for future reference. Had Elk spaghetti last night, mmmmmmmmm.........:) Haven't heard from anyone else, hopefully everyone's got there all right. Don was having his secretary keep on the lookout for it as he is Powell bound. Still need to send Buiz some, more coolers will be in on Monday. Jim, will ship yours on Monday!

Cuda
08-16-2007, 07:48 PM
I received mine today also.:cool:

pmreed
08-16-2007, 09:59 PM
Arrived today and straight into the freezer. Thanks, John

Phil

fegettes
08-17-2007, 05:00 AM
Mine was at the house when I made it in last night. Much thanks John. The back strap and a package of roast was partially thawed, so my decision was made on what I will try first.

Steve

vonkamp
08-17-2007, 07:58 AM
Mine arrived yesterday. Mostly thawed but still cold so there will be a neighborhood BBQ this weekend. :yes: :beer: Thanks!

vonkamp
08-17-2007, 11:04 AM
Venison burgers, roasted peppers out of the garden and a great Waghington State wine!! Now thats good eats.:yes::yes:

Cuda
08-18-2007, 11:42 AM
Mmm, Debbie and I just had our first elk burgers. I haven't been supposed to eat hamburgers for a couple of years now, but I figured the elk being lean, wouldn't hurt me. It was damn good. Debbie asked me if I'd ever eaten elk before, but I hadn't. She has though.

BigGrizzly
08-19-2007, 05:49 PM
Mine came and roast is in the oven

Donziweasel
08-19-2007, 06:38 PM
Let me know how it comes out!:wink: Remember, don't overrcook!:wink::)

BigGrizzly
08-19-2007, 09:18 PM
We did over cook by a few degrees Wife could not find the Thermometer, so out to the shop to get mine, Ir was my delay. However it was every bit as good as beef, actually more moist and tender. After my battle with throat cancer this was a welcome relief from beef pot roast! Thanks again, I like trying new stuff. Remember the Criterion when you come down to visit your family.