PDA

View Full Version : 26ZX 502 Low RPM's

Splash
08-14-2007, 11:57 AM
I just thought I would give an update on a problem I have been having for about 2 years. It’s always nice to hear what the fix ended up being just incase you encounter a similar problem.

I emailed a few different members that had a 26 ZX with a 502, I just wasn't getting the speed and RPM's out of my 502. I checked everything and couldn't find any problems; I could only get about 4500 rpm's out of the engine with a top speed of around 60 to 61mph via the Speedo. I had a stock 502 with a 23p Mirage prop. I upgrade the exhaust and put a Bravo I 24P Labbed prop on and it got me up to about 4700 to 4800 rpm's. I think I saw 65mph on the Speedo once but I know my Speedo is off by 2-3mph.

So 2 years later I go to do a tune up, wires, rotor, cap and plugs and when I take one of the plugs out it looks brand new. To make a long story short I have only been running on 7 cycl. for the last 2 years, I had a broken fuel injector. There is very little plastic holding the connector onto the Injector, it looked like one of the two wires had been broken for some time and the connector was just barely hanging. I did a compression test and the cycl. looked OK so I just had to hope I had no damage to the rings or piston.

I took it out last weekend and what a difference, comes out of the hole so fast and I can easily get to 5000 rpms and had a speed of 63mp on the GPS.
The Speedo showed 67 but that's because I was going up river. It was really busy on the water so I didn't get many chances to open it up but I don't think 65mph should be a problem.

Hope this helps someone in the future, Jim
PS. The triplets liked the extra speed too :)

gpapich
08-14-2007, 05:44 PM
I know the feeling. It's kind of like when I took delivery of my boat from the dealership that did the "inspection". When they put the wires back from doing a compression check, they swapped numbers 5 and 7 plug wires.

I had never driven the boat before, so I didn't know what it was supposed to run like. All I knew was that it idled like crap, ran cold and never got abobe 45mph. Once I traced the wires and corrected the problem, I gained another 15mph. Really woke up.

Splash
08-15-2007, 08:20 AM
The funny part is I ended up buying the injector directly from a manufacturer in CT, it was $30 bucks cheaper then buying it from Mercruiser and I was able to drive there and pick it up which was the real key. When I spoke to him on the phone he said this happens all the time since there is very little plastic actually holding the connector onto the injector.
I went with the Revolution Polished Aluminum since I'm not in the salt water that much. I thought I had a pic of it but I don't, I also upgraded the Air Filter to the K&N which I don't think helped much but I like the filter better then the Mercruiser one. I clean and Oil it every 20 hours and it looks like it catches more then the steel mesh one that came from Mercruiser.
Here is a couple of pics of the Boys having fun, I will get one of the motor.
It went on pretty easy and looks great.
Thanks Jim
PS. Nothing like picking up 50 HP :)

Splash
08-20-2007, 10:03 AM
Just an update, I saw 68mph on the gps at about 5200rpm's. I have a Bravo I 24P that was labbed by Throttle up, now I know why Bryan T. ran a 26P labbed. I'm not sure when the rev limiter will kick in but I have to be close. It was really cool this weekend so I think that helped but I wouldn't be surprised if I see 69 since I was on a full tank of fuel but with only 2 people. I might play with a 26p but I really like the way the boat comes out of hole with the 24P.

Take care, Jim