PDA

View Full Version : Boat running great........

Donziweasel
08-14-2007, 08:01 AM
Went out this weekend to a new lake to try the boat. It is about 600 ft (7500ft) higher than my usual lake. I was really nervous, but fired the engine and got her wet. Was really gentle the first 20 minutes to let the new valve springs break in. After 20 minutes, I stopped and then threw down the hammer. Boat came out of the water like a rocket. My wife looked at me with eyes as big as saucers and said "it never did that before". No hesitation, popping, bogging, etc.... just pure HP and torque. Ran her for about an hour or more before trying a WOT the next morning. Did not really pick anything up, 55 @ 4550 on a 20 pitch turbo (thank you Mad Poodle and Big Grizz). All in all, I must have sealed the vacuum leaks, set valves right, set timing right, and put it back together right. The only thing I would have done differently is pulled the engine to do the work instead of leaning into that bildge for 4 days. My back would have thanked me.

The boat, even when running it's best, had little power down low. Felt like a turbo, out of the hole it was doggy and then about mid-range, hold the (*&^ on! Now it has power throughout the entire RPM range. Will probably jet down a size or two, and leave alone. I did notice that it grinds a little going into gear, might have to adjust the linkage, but it wasn't too bad. In any event, it is nice to have the boat running right.

Now a question, if I my engine is in the 315-320 hp range at sea level, but only 257 hp (down 22%) up here, how fast would the boat run if it had all 320 ponies? I am getting 56 on my best day. Buiz, before you reply, we know it will not go 22% faster!:bonk: Rootsy thinks 63.

DonCig
08-14-2007, 08:11 AM
65 mph tops at 7,000 feet with everything perfect.
61-63 mph is probably closer to the mark.

BigGrizzly
08-14-2007, 08:58 AM
With more seat time on the new combination you will pick up another 2 or 3 MPH. Even with all seat time you had on the old combination, this on is different with lower unit prop etc. now with my calculations you ar really pulling about 285 corrected HP at that altitude, not bad at all

BUIZILLA
08-14-2007, 09:12 AM
your only turning 4550 now.....

at sea level and 5200, I stand by my prediction :wink:

Donziweasel
08-14-2007, 09:51 AM
You sure you don't want to reconsider Buiz? That is over 68 mph. :eek!:

BUIZILLA
08-14-2007, 10:00 AM
your corrected altitude and baro is 7,000 ASL, on any given day...

you have about 350-355hp

at 3% per/thou, you do the math...

Donziweasel
08-14-2007, 10:08 AM
Buiz, you really think I am pushing 350 ponies with my setup? If that is true, then I did much better than I thought I would with the mods. Still, that equates to 280 hp at my altitude @ 56 mph. Not bad, I think the engine was 250 when I got it (non-vortec heads, stack manifold, 2 bbl carb, stock cam). One of these days I will have to dyno it. Iwould also like to run at sea level one day just to see. Would need a 23 pitch probably.

BigGrizzly
08-14-2007, 01:50 PM
Like I said you did well. If you come to Cumberland I will loan you a prop or two for the weekend. All I ask in return is a good evaluation.

Donziweasel
08-14-2007, 02:26 PM
Had an interesting conversation with Don Tamm this morning about altitude and speed. He has a good base for how bad elevation kills your top end. He was able to run 84 at Lake of the Ozarks at 600 ft above sea level. Said he could only turn 70 mph at his home lake at 5500 ft. 14 mph difference in 5000 ft. I am dealing with 7000 ft. At least now I know if any of you ever come visit, we will have more of a level playing field!:eek!::wink::bonk:

Cuda
08-14-2007, 05:15 PM
Had an interesting conversation with Don Tamm this morning about altitude and speed. He has a good base for how bad elevation kills your top end. He was able to run 84 at Lake of the Ozarks at 600 ft above sea level. Said he could only turn 70 mph at his home lake at 5500 ft. 14 mph difference in 5000 ft. I am dealing with 7000 ft. At least now I know if any of you ever come visit, we will have more of a level playing field!:eek!::wink::bonk:
If I ever get out your way, I'm bringing my 35 Whelen, and it's not for boating. :)

Donziweasel
08-14-2007, 05:24 PM
Speaking of 35 Whelen Cuda, just started getting my crap together for hunting camp. Ordered hay, reserved horses, new stove for one of my tents, etc.... Deer opens Sept 15th, Elk, Oct 1. Also got a Antelope tag this year, crapped out on the moose and buffalo drawing.:mad:

Get your hunting crap together and meet me here Sept 12 for putting up hunting camp!:):bonk:

BTW, I need more than one shot, occasionally.:crossfing: