PDA

View Full Version : Please weigh in..... oil fill question, what would you do?

gold-n-rod
08-13-2007, 08:33 PM
OK, here's the matter at hand.

The Merc manual says that a 5.0 GM motor has an oil capacity of 5 quarts (with filter change) . Simple, right?

Then, the manual says to "only fill the crankcase to the correct level shown on the dipstick." Well, to reach the operating max in my boat, only it takes 4 quarts, including filter!

There's no way that any oil can remain in the pan since I suck the oil from a tube connected to the drain hole of the pan (not the dipstick). This hole is at the bottom-most location on the pan.

There's NO FREAKIN' WAY that a quart can remain in the engine after sucking it dry. Yet, with 4 quarts, the oil level is right where the dipstickk says it should be full.

So, what would you do? 5 quarts is what it needs. 4 quarts seems like a "quart low."

Avialanche
08-13-2007, 09:03 PM
I'd go by the dipstick, usually manuals cover a wide range of engine models. Does you boat have a external oil cooler? Is your oil filter adaptor remote mounted or integral on the engine block?

gcarter
08-13-2007, 09:08 PM
When I put the Minx together, I bouht on eBay what was touted to be a 7 qt. oil pan......when I used the LOOOOOOOOOOONG dipstick that comes standard on 350s, 5 quarts was all it would take, 6 w/the two oil filters.
I've wondered about the geometry ever since.

mrfixxall
08-13-2007, 10:29 PM
OK, here's the matter at hand.
The Merc manual says that a 5.0 GM motor has an oil capacity of 5 quarts (with filter change) . Simple, right?
Then, the manual says to "only fill the crankcase to the correct level shown on the dipstick." Well, to reach the operating max in my boat, only it takes 4 quarts, including filter!
There's no way that any oil can remain in the pan since I suck the oil from a tube connected to the drain hole of the pan (not the dipstick). This hole is at the bottom-most location on the pan.
There's NO FREAKIN' WAY that a quart can remain in the engine after sucking it dry. Yet, with 4 quarts, the oil level is right where the dipstickk says it should be full.
So, what would you do? 5 quarts is what it needs. 4 quarts seems like a "quart low."

you will never get all the oil out of the oil pan sucking it through the dip stick hole ( the tube doesnt go all the way to the bottom of the pan)..oil coolers,remote oil filter with the hoses hold some oil to and their probably taking that into consideration..

gold-n-rod
08-13-2007, 10:53 PM
you will never get all the oil out of the oil pan sucking it through the dip stick hole ( the tube doesnt go all the way to the bottom of the pan)..oil coolers,remote oil filter with the hoses hold some oil to and their probably taking that into consideration..

That's true. Read carefully and you will see that I am sucking out of the bottom of the pan, not the dipstick.

No way the coolers and hoses are holding a full quart.

Hmmmm.

srlbrodkin
08-14-2007, 01:16 AM
I owned a quick lube for a couple of years doing 45 cars a day. It was rare that the manual was correct. We were taught to go by the dipstick. Many times the customers were upset that we over/under filled the car according to the manual.
I was told the manuals are printed way in advance and don't change with production changes.

Bruce
22 ZX

mrfixxall
08-14-2007, 01:41 AM
:beer:
That's true. Read carefully and you will see that I am sucking out of the bottom of the pan, not the dipstick.
No way the coolers and hoses are holding a full quart.
Hmmmm.

GOTCHA!