PDA

View Full Version : 22zx-Cracks in the faring

brwn234
08-11-2007, 10:18 PM
I've got a '00 22zx with cracks in the faring or cowl, whatever its called. Its only on the left side on the bottom edge. It seems to be a common problem that I've read about before. I've looked around and noticed that this piece can be removed by unbolting it. I want to have this repaired and I'm thinking of removing it and doing the prep work myself to save some money. How hard is it to remove this and repair the cracks? How much should I expect to pay? How can I keep this from happening in the future? And lastly, How much should I expect to pay for this and can you recommend any shops any where around the Washington DC area?

Last Tango
08-13-2007, 08:46 PM
Well, I can only tell you how to prevent that from happening again. NEVER lean on the fairing for ANY reason, never use it as a brace or hand hold when standing in front of it (particlarly when running in rough water), and never use it as a handhold when going over and forward to the bow. How do you put the bow line on the bow when docking? I but the bow line on from the ground before I launch and allow that line to simply trail back into the cockpit when ever I am underway. I have taught myself how to dock the boat without going forward. Period. My 22ZX does not have any forward deck hatches, so I just don't use the fore deck any more than I would on a 22 Classic with a windshield. I remove the bow line when I am trailering because the line will permanently chafe the deck surface.

brwn234
08-13-2007, 09:55 PM
Exactly, When I first started driving it I would pull up bow first with someone stepping off from the bow. Then I got wise like you and said, Thats it No more walking on the bow. First off it's dangerous. Second thats my gel coat your walkin on. And third it's a pain gettin up there and like you hinted at people like to grab on the windshield. It had the crack in it when I bought it but I just wanna fix it and not have it come back.

srlbrodkin
08-14-2007, 01:19 AM
Does this only happen on the newer type with the plexi. in it. or on the older solid types also? Any Pics?

Bruce
99 22ZX

LKSD
08-14-2007, 10:37 AM
I've got a '00 22zx with cracks in the faring or cowl, whatever its called. Its only on the left side on the bottom edge. It seems to be a common problem that I've read about before. I've looked around and noticed that this piece can be removed by unbolting it. I want to have this repaired and I'm thinking of removing it and doing the prep work myself to save some money. How hard is it to remove this and repair the cracks? How much should I expect to pay? How can I keep this from happening in the future? And lastly, How much should I expect to pay for this and can you recommend any shops any where around the Washington DC area?

We do repairs like that.

As far as costs it depends on how bad the damage (cracking) is.

Also many reputable legit shops wont care if you do the prep work yourself or not. You will end up paying for it anyway. They will want to do the filling & final sanding & prep themselves so that they can know the outcome.

As far as preventing cracking in the future, there is no way on that item to guarantee a crack wont come back. You could help to slim the chances by having some stuff reinforced with glass anywhere it can be done.

Jamie / Lakeside