PDA

View Full Version : what do you guys think?

DonziFreak
08-10-2007, 11:03 PM
should a 18 C have a kill switch in it or not? why or why not?

Lenny
08-11-2007, 12:14 AM
Yes, Yes, Yes.

A kill switch tied to a lanyard on your wrist or whatever.

Yes, Yes, Yes.

Definately YES.

Cuda
08-11-2007, 03:49 AM
Of course it should.

hardcrab
08-11-2007, 05:45 AM
should a 18 C have a kill switch in it or not? why or why not?
You've answered your own question , .......... "why not" ?

Carl C
08-11-2007, 06:14 AM
Yes. Think what would happen if you get ejected and the boat continues on at high speed until it hits someone or the shore, but most likely it will go into a hard circle and could run over you or a passenger. Either case is bad and easily preventable.

Trueser
08-11-2007, 08:02 AM
Possibly may be required by your state.

Always should be used.

DonCig
08-11-2007, 08:27 AM
Depends on what type of guy you are......................LOL

If you have friends that like you, then definately get a lanyard....

But if you can not think of any body that is going to miss you....

MOP
08-11-2007, 08:27 AM
Another yes! I mounted mine low and use a Velco ankle strap, I like ankle an strap over wrist a strap for safety reasons. It may be 10,000 shot that it would ever happen but at 40-50 MPH killing the engine can be a real startling experience in fact down right dangerous!

goatee
08-11-2007, 10:10 AM
no,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, ummmm, to much extra weight.....slowin me down.
someone had to say it

Carl C
08-11-2007, 06:05 PM
no,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, ummmm, to much extra weight.....slowin me down.
someone had to say it Yup, that clip on my swim suit is really uncomfortable too. Go without it.:wink:

DonziFreak
08-11-2007, 09:02 PM
its not that i'd rahter either way, it's just i was wondering what most you guys think, i run without a kill-switch, but at the same time im not trying to get the speeds and the air most of you guys do in your 18's :propeller:

i was thinking of installing one, but just don't have the time to at the moment...but i don't go out there and run it "hard" because shes an old boat with a old engine and a old drive....no need to push it and break anything.....but then again, it might be a good idea.....

chappy
08-11-2007, 09:12 PM
I treat it like a seat belt. Even if I'm cruising at a slow speed, I put it on. I figure it's a good habit to get into.

Rich

DonziFreak
08-11-2007, 09:17 PM
i would'nt drive a car without a seatbelt, and definatly never one of our tunnel hulls without the 5-point! so i guess i should install a kill-switch.....grrr, i'll have to wait a while tho, because im not going to install one before i start the restore process.....and that might be a year or 2

Lenny
08-11-2007, 09:36 PM
i'll have to wait a while tho, because im not going to install one before i start the restore process.....and that might be a year or 2

You are not going to Sarasota are you ???

I can not imagine driving one without. Old boat, old parts, mickey mouse steering, stringers, transom etc etc etc... I would spend 20 minutes and put one in.

Surely this is a blindfold job for you...

The last time I checked, the CHAMP boats didn't run away at 100+ without a driver...

DonziFreak
08-11-2007, 10:21 PM
The last time I checked, the CHAMP boats didn't run away at 100+ without a driver...

thats because they are usualy underwater when a accident happens....

besides, i had issues today that will force me to pull the drive, so the boats going to be down for a while...i have to finish race season and then get started on re-working the tunnel on our new 120....then i have to get it painted.....re-rigged and back in the water by feb next year....and THEN i might have some time to pull the drive, so the boats outta commision for now....

gold-n-rod
08-13-2007, 07:05 PM
The mere fact that you are asking suggests that you already know the the answer.

I suggest you ask your loved ones and those who are dependent upon your financial support.

I think you already know what they'll say.

Cuda
08-13-2007, 07:22 PM
its not that i'd rahter either way, it's just i was wondering what most you guys think, i run without a kill-switch, but at the same time im not trying to get the speeds and the air most of you guys do in your 18's :propeller:
i was thinking of installing one, but just don't have the time to at the moment...but i don't go out there and run it "hard" because shes an old boat with a old engine and a old drive....no need to push it and break anything.....but then again, it might be a good idea.....
Even at idle speed, I can't outswim the boat. I used to think about that when I was trolling by myself, standing in the back of the boat putting lines out.

Carl C
08-13-2007, 07:30 PM
Donzifreak, I wear the tether always even on my 3.5 hp Nissan outboard canoe. I think you go faster than my canoe!

hardcrab
08-13-2007, 07:41 PM
Even at idle speed, I can't outswim the boat. I used to think about that when I was trolling by myself, standing in the back of the boat putting lines out.
Two years ago during winter, a neighbor had fallen overboard and drown. His boat (Tracker) was found still running the following morning at idle throttle and in gear. He was found with his zipper down.
The point is, an innocent routine can turn tragic real quick.

osur866
08-14-2007, 01:15 AM
All I have to say to this is simply YES, and wear it!!!!!!:bonk::bonk: Steve

DonziFreak
08-14-2007, 08:29 AM
like i said before guys, the boat is outta comission for now...........i'll do it when i start the repair process, but the way it's looking im not going to make the boat show meet.....

LKSD
08-14-2007, 10:44 AM
Yes to having a safety kill switch.. If you ever enter in a poker run, you may not be allowed to run with the pack without one.. Also remember safety first ;) Jamie / Lakeside

roadtrip se
08-14-2007, 11:58 AM
Stuff happens.

AOTH this year. Boat hit a rough patch of water, throttle handle broke as a result, no tether on the captain, heck of a time stopping the ship. Way too many people in the area for something like this. Close call.

Guy that owns my store in lock. Good friend. Admiring my prop one day. Told me the story of how his best friend got thrown from his bass boat and the thing just kept circling until it cut him up like a cusinart. This happened less than a year ago. I could see the pain in his eyes.

Stuff like this shouldn't happen, when it is so easily avoidable.