PDA

View Full Version : Donzi faces lawsuit!!!

DonziFreak
08-10-2007, 01:28 PM
Manufacturing & Fabrication
Donzi faces lawsuit over worker’s death

Boating Industry
Friday August 10, 2007

Email this article to a friend!

BRADENTON, Fla. – Boat builder Donzi Marine is being sued over the November 2006 death of an employee due to the inhalation of carpet glue fumes, the Bradenton Herald reported in an article today. The worker was installing the carpet within a yacht cabin when he fell unconscious.

The lawsuit, filed Wednesday in Bradenton circuit court by Luis Esteban Martinez’ family members, suggests that Donzi knew of the dangers of the methylene chloride found within the Permagrip 105 glue, the newspaper reported.

The lawsuit follows an Occupational Safety & Health Administration investigation, after which the company was fined more than $26,000 for exposing Martinez to “high levels of toxic fumes” and not giving him “the correct safety equipment to prevent his death,” according to the newspaper.

The family is asking for more than $15,000 in damages, the newspaper reported. Donzi production manager Larry H. Daughtery is also named as a defendant in the lawsuit.

When contacted by the newspaper yesterday, Donzi didn’t comment because it said it had yet to receive a copy of it.

$15,000.00 suit for a loss of life???

BUIZILLA
08-10-2007, 01:38 PM
$15,000.00 suit for a loss of life??? that's pretty typical when the attorney isn't sure what his case strength is until *discovery* starts, then the $$$$ pile on....

DonziFreak
08-10-2007, 01:41 PM
ohhhhh believe me, i know they are gonna end up with more than 15k, but they usualy start off higher......

Last Tango
08-10-2007, 01:53 PM
So this must be the part of the Donzi Marine that makes those big 65' plus offshore yachts? 'Cause I can't think of any part of the Donzi Marine line that we mere mortals deal with that glues carpeting into the boat. Normally all the carpets snap in and out in the boats that we see built these days. Perhaps a small section in the the ZSC or bigger ZF's, though I can't imagine carpeting being a good idea in ANY fishing boat.

DonziFreak
08-10-2007, 01:56 PM
im not sure if the carpeting in the ZFC boats are glued or snaped....id seriously doubt they would be glued....

VetteLT193
08-10-2007, 02:41 PM
here's another link. says 35 feet. probably a cruiser (ZSC) or the cabin of a ZR

http://www.heraldtribune.com/article/20070810/NEWS/708100500

f_inscreenname
08-10-2007, 05:11 PM
Donzi knew of the dangers of the methylene chloride found within the Permagrip 105 glue,

What the hell would they be using that glue for carpet for? That is more then over the top for carpet. A good latex based would work just fine and no fumes.:bonk:

DonziFreak
08-10-2007, 07:17 PM
who knows? maybe a stockroom boy ordered the wrong glue and got the guy killed? it does'nt change the fact it happened.....and donzi is paying the price for it now.....

LKSD
08-11-2007, 10:46 AM
I have a hard time believing that Donzi wouldnt have masks or any thing like that available to the workers..

Even so, WHAT ABOUT COMMON SENSE???? Ok I admit, its bad that someone died, but... Come on, If you are working around something with nasty fumes common sense would say to wear a respirator mask.. Even if I am working with stuff that is supposedly ok, If it has a foul odor, I will wear a mask.. It is not worth the risk...

J

Greg K
08-11-2007, 10:56 AM
It was in a 35ZR according to this article.
http://www.bradenton.com/business/story/118322.html