PDA

View Full Version : Timing and vacuum

Donziweasel
08-10-2007, 11:07 AM
Must have done it right, hooked a vacuum gauge up this morning and had 14 at idle, 17 t 2000 rpm's. Had only 7 before. Still haven't got her wet though yet!

Still trying to figure out the ignition. I have Thunderbolt V and per instructions, started the boat, ground out the purple and white wire with timing light hooked up. Nothing happens when grounding it. Using a standard light with no advance. Marks not lining up, but I know it should be around 14 degrees base.

MOP
08-10-2007, 12:32 PM
Do a search Rootsy did a post on setting V up with the jumper, forget base shot for top time. Shooting for top time is better, start with 32. You may be able to bump it up a bit from there.

MOP
08-10-2007, 12:46 PM
Is this what you already have?

Donziweasel
08-10-2007, 01:15 PM
Same intructions. Talked to rootsy and he gave me a few things to check.

mrfixxall
08-10-2007, 03:00 PM
Same intructions. Talked to rootsy and he gave me a few things to check.

Do you have a advance timing light? just check your total advance in the upper rpm...thats the easiest way..

Donziweasel
08-10-2007, 05:01 PM
Figured it out, I was way off on initial setting. Now set at 14. Boat sounds great! Off to the lake in an hour and am heading to a different lake we have never been to. DonCig has been there and said it is sweet, will try and take some pics as it has some serious scenery.

MR MAGOO
08-11-2007, 06:13 AM
Must have done it right, hooked a vacuum gauge up this morning and had 14 at idle, 17 t 2000 rpm's. Had only 7 before. Still haven't got her wet though yet!
Still trying to figure out the ignition. I have Thunderbolt V and per instructions, started the boat, ground out the purple and white wire with timing light hooked up. Nothing happens when grounding it. Using a standard light with no advance. Marks not lining up, but I know it should be around 14 degrees base.

To put it in base timing mode, the purple/while wire needs to be grounded out BEFORE starting the motor.

Good luck!

Kurt

Rootsy
08-11-2007, 07:59 PM
Do you have a advance timing light? just check your total advance in the upper rpm...thats the easiest way..

no can do with the TBolt V or better said... It don't mean jack... as it is an infinitely variable ignition curve from 0 - 21 degrees of ignition advance based upon engine operating parameters... basically while the RPM's are increasing the ignition will keep feeding timing until rpm increase stops.. at which time it'll remove timing until it sees a small rpm decrease (unnoticable to you really) and so on and so forth until rpm becomes steady state... in a nut shell...

for performance I prefer a TBolt IV in a merc setup...

mrfixxall
08-13-2007, 08:13 PM
no can do with the TBolt V or better said... It don't mean jack... as it is an infinitely variable ignition curve from 0 - 21 degrees of ignition advance based upon engine operating parameters... basically while the RPM's are increasing the ignition will keep feeding timing until rpm increase stops.. at which time it'll remove timing until it sees a small rpm decrease (unnoticable to you really) and so on and so forth until rpm becomes steady state... in a nut shell...
for performance I prefer a TBolt IV in a merc setup...

so your saying if i take the intial timing at lets use DW timing #s 14 and add the 21 degrees in and should = 35 deg rite? so if i set mt advanced timing light at 35 deg and rev the engine to 3500 rpm i wont see my line on the harmonic ballancer line up with o btdc?

Donziweasel
08-14-2007, 08:07 AM
I did ground the purple and white wire before starting the engine. When I set my valves, I had to turn the engine by the crank. It messed up my marks when I took out the distributer. When I put it back together, I got number 1 cylinder TDC and then installed distributer with rotor pointing towards number on plug wire. Somehow, setting was off. I thought for sure I was at 10 tdc, but was almost 60 degrees off:eek!::confused: Finally realized what had happened and set correctly with timing light w/advance.