PDA

View Full Version : Cracked oil cooler question

Carl C
08-09-2007, 06:12 PM
Long story short..........the fitting on my oil cooler where the rear oil line goes is cracked at one spot. I over tightened the oil line. So far there is no leak but if it does leak will it leak water or oil? 496 HO '05 Thanks.

MOP
08-09-2007, 06:34 PM
Long story short..........the fitting on my oil cooler where the rear oil line goes is cracked at one spot. I over tightened the oil line. So far there is no leak but if it does leak will it leak water or oil? 496 HO '05 Thanks.

Oil! PM Tony he had a cracked cooler and had it fixed!

Phil

Carl C
08-09-2007, 06:46 PM
Oil! PM Tony he had a cracked cooler and had it fixed!
Phil I should have said that the crack is at the weld where the fitting is welded to the cooler. That'll still leak oil? Running on the hose at 3,000 rpm fully warmed up it stayed dry. If it's a potential oil leak I don't want to drive it. I'm trying to salvage sunday on Lake Michigan. Go or no?

MOP
08-09-2007, 07:06 PM
Carl I have a hunch you just cracked the surface, if it is not leaking why not clean the area real well and apply a couple of layers of epoxy brushed on. I have seen that last a very long time just keep an eye on it. The cylinder and tube bundle are normally furnace brazed, the oil fittings and end caps are soldered on last. That is a Gotcha always use two wrenches on any cooler fitting.

Phil

MOP
08-09-2007, 07:09 PM
?? Forgot to ask!! How far around the fitting is it cracked, more then a 1/3rd I would yank it off and hit your local radiator shop.

Phil

gcarter
08-09-2007, 07:17 PM
There are frequently 8.2 oil coolers on eBay....seems they're always under $100.00. This would relieve your mind.....

Carl C
08-09-2007, 08:25 PM
It is cracked about 1/4 cir., it must not be cracked through because it wasn't leaking. I'm afraid it is a time bomb. Anyway I put JB weld on it for now and will put one more coat on tomorrow and will water test the boat saturday evening. I plan to fix or replace it but need time. (I hate JB weld but had to resort......):(

Carl C
08-10-2007, 06:15 AM
Here is one of my highly detailed technical diagrams.:rlol: It's not meant to be exact since I drew it from memory. But this is my interpretation of how this thing must work and if I'm correct then this weld seals water and not oil. I'm not trying to get out of fixing it right; just trying to determine if I can run it safely for a couple days. I'm going to try and get in a test run today. I'd appreciate input on if I'm understanding this thing right. Thanks.

gcarter
08-10-2007, 08:26 AM
Here is one of my highly detailed technical diagrams.:rlol: It's not meant to be exact since I drew it from memory. But this is my interpretation of how this thing must work and if I'm correct then this weld seals water and not oil. I'm not trying to get out of fixing it right; just trying to determine if I can run it safely for a couple days. I'm going to try and get in a test run today. I'd appreciate input on if I'm understanding this thing right. Thanks.
Carl, that diagram is more like your P/S cooler, but your oil cooler is a tube bundle(watrer through the tubes) much like your heat exchanger, so it would be sealing oil.

Carl C
08-10-2007, 09:05 AM
Carl, that diagram is more like your P/S cooler, but your oil cooler is a tube bundle(watrer through the tubes) much like your heat exchanger, so it would be sealing oil. OK, that's not what I wanted to hear but thanks.

smoothie
08-10-2007, 09:54 AM
Carl,,,better be safe than sorry,,,you may want to follow the lines back and see what they mate up to because your diagram looks pretty close to a engine oil cooler,see attached....Dont understand why you would have one on your PS pump unless you have full hydro steering.
http://www.cpperformance.com/detail.aspx?ID=911

gcarter
08-10-2007, 10:34 AM
There is a bulkhead at the large diameter of each end (the juncture of the taper and large diameter) of the cooler. These two bulkheads include the ends of the tube bundles. If you were to look into the 1 1/4" opening, you would see a wall w/15-20 tube ends showing that the raw water passes through. Inside of the two bulkheads or walls is oil. The tubes carry the cooling water through the oil.

smoothie
08-10-2007, 10:40 AM
Designed for engines making 450 horsepower and above. These units have seventy-six 1/4" seamless tubes - over double that of a 2" cooler. The cooler incorporates cast end caps, NO cheap press-formed caps are used. Operating pressure up to 150 PSI. This is the cooler all others try to imitate but can never duplicate. Compare features and you will demand Hardin Marine oil coolers.

roadtrip se
08-10-2007, 10:49 AM
Your drawing is pretty accurate.

I just went through some oil cooler gremlins this spring with the 500.
My problem was a gasket on the starboard side, water end.

If you are going to go run it tonight, you are going to know pretty quickly whether it will hold or not.

If it leaks at all, I would get it to the trailer asap.

Carl C
08-11-2007, 06:31 AM
Designed for engines making 450 horsepower and above. These units have seventy-six 1/4" seamless tubes - over double that of a 2" cooler. The cooler incorporates cast end caps, NO cheap press-formed caps are used. Operating pressure up to 150 PSI. This is the cooler all others try to imitate but can never duplicate. Compare features and you will demand Hardin Marine oil coolers. Thanks for the link to the oil cooler. My only concern is that there is no hex fitting where the oil lines attach and it could crack when tightening the hose. I did notice on my first post header run that the oil lines and filter were really hot. Should they be so hot after a hard run that you can hardly touch them? I wonder if something to do with the header install could have reduced water flow to the cooler. :boggled: Since mine must come off anyway for repair or replacement I think it's time to upgrade. What aftermarket cooler would others recommend? I'd like one that isn't a PITA to install (good luck, huh:rlol:). So that's my question now. Which aftermarket oil cooler should I get and where?

gcarter
08-11-2007, 07:34 AM
I like this one.... http://revolutionmarine.com/shopsite_sc/store/html/oilcoolers.html
Look at the one w/the integrated P/S cooler. It's similar to the one Smoothie reccomends.I'm planning on using one on the 22 Testarossa. If you look at the drawing, you can see the tube bundle.
I think the temp. you noticed is simply how hot the oil gets and an indicator that you need a cooler.

MOP
08-11-2007, 07:45 AM
Designed for engines making 450 horsepower and above. These units have seventy-six 1/4" seamless tubes - over double that of a 2" cooler. The cooler incorporates cast end caps, NO cheap press-formed caps are used. Operating pressure up to 150 PSI. This is the cooler all others try to imitate but can never duplicate. Compare features and you will demand Hardin Marine oil coolers.

If you go to this style you will have to add an oil thermostat, oil needs to be up in a good operating range.

smoothie
08-11-2007, 08:06 AM
Carl do you have a oil temp gauge? motor oil temps get above 225 degrees so yes the hoses will be hot to the touch but you dont want the oil over 250 degrees.For some reason people dont keep track of the oil temps...and they should...run the motor hard for a long period and the oil really gets hot and breaks down then bad things happen...As far as oil coolers go you need to select the right size for your hp and oil pan.

BUIZILLA
08-11-2007, 08:18 AM
I personally think the RM combo cooler offers a lot of value for $269..... do the clamp style mounting brackets come with it??

smoothie
08-11-2007, 08:18 AM
I like this one.... http://revolutionmarine.com/shopsite_sc/store/html/oilcoolers.html
Look at the one w/the integrated P/S cooler. It's similar to the one Smoothie reccomends.I'm planning on using one on the 22 Testarossa. If you look at the drawing, you can see the tube bundle.
I think the temp. you noticed is simply how hot the oil gets and an indicator that you need a cooler.

Nice cooler! kill 2 birds with one stone.

gcarter
08-11-2007, 08:23 AM
I personally think the RM combo cooler offers a lot of value for $269..... do the clamp style mounting brackets come with it??
Yes they do.

DonCig
08-11-2007, 08:34 AM
I was going to go the Revolution Matine dual cooler route,

BUT,

Buizilla turned me on to a much HIGHER quality unit from the Rolls Royce guys;

Sen-Dure
954-973-1260

Item # 15568/1/5 Cutom Built for me at a price of $375.00

Their product is SO MUCH better than the Rev. Mar. product that I do not consider them even close to the same products.

Carl C
08-11-2007, 06:02 PM
Thanks for the info. I will study it all and make a decision when I have more time. I'm backing out of the northern Michigan gathering tomorrow because t-storms are forecast.:( I had a diesel tow rig ligned up and everything. Wouldn't a t-stat require special plumbing to bypass the cooler? I don't have an oil temp guage. Like I said, I'll get back to this when I have more time tomorrow. I'm very busy week-ends.