PDA

View Full Version : New heads are here!

Donziweasel
08-07-2007, 12:13 PM
New heads are here! Buiz, might need some valve adjustment help, but think I have it figured out. Starting install now.

BUIZILLA
08-07-2007, 12:28 PM
call me when you get to that point...

kd5cue
08-07-2007, 12:47 PM
get head put on come to the texas roundup

Donziweasel
08-07-2007, 01:01 PM
Would love to go to round up, but I am selling my company and have to stay here till mid-sept.

I think the heads should be torqued to 65 ft, but want to make sure. This sound about right?

MOP
08-07-2007, 02:01 PM
65 on the nose!!!

Donziweasel
08-07-2007, 02:29 PM
Thanks MOP, one down, one to go!

mrfixxall
08-07-2007, 02:36 PM
Thanks MOP, one down, one to go!

With sealer on the threads..

Donziweasel
08-07-2007, 03:01 PM
Used permatex no. 2 non-hardening sealant on the threads. After cleaning bolts on wire wheel, oiled the heads of them, sealant on threads and torqued to 65 ft pounds. Went together real nice. Also, placed intake gaskets on just to see and much better fit. Machinist was even dumbfounded by the "dart" heads. Said he has never seen heads like that before and did not know why they did them like that.

Here is where I am- Port head on and torqued, will re-torque tommorrow just to make sure. Cleaned starboard block and ready for head placement. Have to quit for the day, torquing the bolts on port head killed my broken ribs. My doctor would not approve of what I have been doing the last few weeks, but it is my Donzi, my ribs and I don't care!:):bonk:

MOP
08-07-2007, 07:58 PM
Do the gaskets call for re torque! I have been using the Felpro Blues they only require the initial torquing.

Phil

Donziweasel
08-08-2007, 12:22 PM
Got heads in and valves adjusted. Now have to figure how to time and get distributer in. Intake is off. What is the easiest way to gt number 1 to TDC? Finger over plug hole or look at valves when they are dead even.

MOP
08-08-2007, 12:40 PM
I aways liked giving it the finger!!!

Donziweasel
08-08-2007, 03:19 PM
Got pretty far today. Both heads on, torqued, valves set, engine at 0 dtdc, intake, heads, and block all cleaned and prepped for intake installement. Ribs are hurting, so had to throw in the towel for the day.

Donziweasel
08-08-2007, 06:26 PM
MP, your not helping here.:):bonk: Don't like my oil filters, now I have different torque specs on the intake. Man, your killing me:eek!:

I am thinking that is the torque specs for the cast intake that comes with stock Mercruiser. Mine is now aluminium and Edelbrock says torque to 11. Help?

I couldn't take it, ate some advil (wish I had something stronger for the ribs, but oh well) and went back in. Intake is on. Plugs are in. Tommorrow, exhaust, carb, distributer, bolt back up accessories, hit lake, come home, drink beer (or beers). :)

Donziweasel
08-09-2007, 07:37 AM
OOOPS..... didn't read it very well, though it said 27 FT, sorry. BTW, had to do it twice, first time intake didn't go on right. Used your stud idea round two and it lined up real nice.:wink: