PDA

View Full Version : Performance SBC Exhaust System?

TXDONZI
08-07-2007, 11:36 AM
What would be considered the best performance exhaust system for a SBC 383...... possibly with a Whipple Charger?

Considering the following.....

CMI E-Top?
Eddie Marine?
Stainless Steel Marine?

Tt

The Hedgehog
08-07-2007, 12:00 PM
All good.

Lightning and Revolution also make them.

I guess that it would depend on uses, hatch clearance, cam etc.

I think that Lightning stainless headers have the bling factor.

I think that you can't top Stainless Marine for quality and durability. I know of one member that has generated really hp in a small block with the SM (maybe 800+)

Revolution and Imco both have good looking lower cost alternatives.

I am not yet sure what I will put on my 383 when the time comes.

What kind of boat are you going use for the 383 whipple?

VetteLT193
08-07-2007, 12:44 PM
What would be considered the best performance exhaust system for a SBC 383...... possibly with a Whipple Charger?
Considering the following.....
CMI E-Top?
Eddie Marine?
Stainless Steel Marine?
Tt

I've looked a bunch...

-The CMI's are big $$, but I don't think you'll hear anyone argue that they are not the best... If money is no object, I'd go CMI.

-Eddie marine "EMI" systems have far better value...

-SS Marine makes a nice product, priced below CMI, but above the rest.

-IMCO makes one too, decent price ($2k)... it's another consideration

My money (where money is an object!) would buy the EMI or IMCO's. I feel the biggest difference in exhaust is from stock exhaust to anything performance. The differences between the cheapest performance exhaust and the best don't warrant the $$. I think you can get better value spending that cash on other performance parts or tuning.

VetteLT193
08-07-2007, 12:48 PM
All good.
Lightning and Revolution also make them.
I guess that it would depend on uses, hatch clearance, cam etc.
I think that Lightning stainless headers have the bling factor.
I think that you can't top Stainless Marine for quality and durability. I know of one member that has generated really hp in a small block with the SM (maybe 800+)
Revolution and Imco both have good looking lower cost alternatives.
I am not yet sure what I will put on my 383 when the time comes.
What kind of boat are you going use for the 383 whipple?

Shoot, just saw the lightning, they look like CMI's but at a better price (approx $3k), I think the CMI's are roughly 5k

d1mbu1b
08-07-2007, 01:41 PM
http://www.thedirtforum.com/headercalc.htm

I think that all the sbc marine headers are 1-7/8" ID
(Better get this confirmed by somebody who knows)
so this tool would require 2" for the OD.

depending upon what RPM you plan on running the engine the headers will differ.

Unfortunately, I have not found a marine header for sbc that has
adequate runner lenths for operation under 5000 rpm.

I would say buy the header with the longest runner tubes.
I think the runners in the cmi e-top headers are still individual in the riser.

there is a set of cmi's in the parts section

MOP
08-07-2007, 01:58 PM
Chuck "Gils" into the picture, I am running them on my 383 and seem to do a decent job. Though if Dana made a SB set I would think of switching!!

Phil

The Hedgehog
08-07-2007, 02:14 PM
Chuck "Gils" into the picture, I am running them on my 383 and seem to do a decent job. Though if Dana made a SB set I would think of switching!!

Phil

Hey Phil, you got a pic of those gils on your sbc?

TXDONZI
08-07-2007, 02:14 PM
So I don't have a Donzi but REALLY want a 22 Classic.

I have a 20' Kona Day cruiser with Volvo 280 PT unit. That had an older early version 383 very short 5.56 rodded Mexican blocked motor with a scat crank. Pulled to freshen it up and found the loading on the (burnt) rod bearing, side loading on the (scored) pistons and the crank the way it was had brought it very close to failure. The crank had been clearanced for the pistons instead of the pistons clearanced for the crank. The mains journals looked good but the rod journals were trashed.010 would clean it up. So.... punt.... I am starting over from scratch. Dart block 383 or 427 SBC???Maybe use the World Prod. Sportsman II 200cc angle plug heads I had on the old motor or some 215cc AFR's. The othe components I have are a new Edel. Permacoated RPM Air Gap, New Holley 750 HP with J-tubes installed. I need upgraded exhaust since the old VP's are shot.

Then I was thinking do I build it a bit on the milder side for better use docking and Whipp it up to get the power I want. I really would like to be mid 500's - 600hp/trq. The boat is a bit heavy and I would like to push it to 65+ mph. At this time I have 2 - 14"x24" Ultra's (LH&RH) I plan to sell it after testing for a Grizz Solas 23 maybe. I know at this point I could go BBC but I would put more money out on it, add weight and fuel cost. WHAT TO DO????? I just sold one of my Harleys so I have around 9-10k to make it happen.

Tt

TXDONZI
08-07-2007, 02:17 PM
http://www.thedirtforum.com/headercalc.htm
I think that all the sbc marine headers are 1-7/8" ID
(Better get this confirmed by somebody who knows)
so this tool would require 2" for the OD.
depending upon what RPM you plan on running the engine the headers will differ.
Unfortunately, I have not found a marine header for sbc that has
adequate runner lenths for operation under 5000 rpm.
I would say buy the header with the longest runner tubes.
I think the runners in the cmi e-top headers are still individual in the riser.
there is a set of cmi's in the parts section

Yes... I know.... Already have an email out on them to see if they are still arounds.... Waiting to find out as of yet...

VetteLT193
08-07-2007, 02:18 PM

Phil

I didn't know that Gil made a SBC exhaust... do you know if they offer it in a dry setup like the BBC offshore series?

MOP
08-07-2007, 08:37 PM
I didn't know that Gil made a SBC exhaust... do you know if they offer it in a dry setup like the BBC offshore series?

Dry pipes have nothing to do with the header its self, you can do dry on most all of them it is all how far the jacket goes back.

Phil

MOP
08-07-2007, 08:58 PM
Hey Phil, you got a pic of those gils on your sbc?

Next time I pull the cover off I will shot a couple of pics, even with the 17" X I have no clearance issues. The only thing that touched slightly was the hose that feeds the tail on the port side, a very little relieving of the glass was needed to avoid minor chaf.

Phil

The Hedgehog
08-07-2007, 09:08 PM
Next time I pull the cover off I will shot a couple of pics, even with the 17" X I have no clearance issues. The only thing that touched slightly was the hose that feeds the tail on the port side, a very little relieving of the glass was needed to avoid minor chaf.
Phil

Good deal. It will be a while but I will need something like that for the X-18

Lenny
08-07-2007, 09:36 PM
At this time I have 2 - 14"x24" Ultra's (LH&RH) I plan to sell it after testing for a Grizz Solas 23 maybe.

With that horsepower you would spin the Ultras into outer space. The 23 Solas will require NICE horsepower to reach redline. They have mind numbing bite (ie: extremely low slip numbers) Trimmed, the Ultra's seem to be around 19% :eek:

Please sell me your 280T if you ever want to part with it ;)

VetteLT193
08-08-2007, 07:18 AM
Dry pipes have nothing to do with the header its self, you can do dry on most all of them it is all how far the jacket goes back.
Phil

Is it easy to fab up the jacketed pipes? I am under the impression that it's a real PITA.

I just found a nice set of CMI's (dry), for SBC on eBay:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/CMI-Elbow-top-headers-Small-Block-Chevy_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQcategoryZ31285QQihZ020QQit emZ300139495063QQrdZ1QQsspagenameZWDVW