PDA

View Full Version : Another dumba$$ steering install question

yeller
08-06-2007, 11:04 PM
Figured I'd finish my WPM install this week. I was looking at the supplied helm and steering column and I know this sounds stupid, but I can't figure out how they can be mounted.
If I put the two together (on the bench), the steering shaft goes into the helm about 1/2~5/8" (which is what it is supposed to), but how are these going to mate when you factor in the thickness of the dash?
I'm guessing CP Performance will need to supply me with a longer steering shaft....unless I'm a real idiot and am missing something here.

I'm going to call them Tue morning. Just thought there might be someone on the board here tonight that could straighten me out.

yeller
08-07-2007, 11:33 AM
OK, so I called CP and it turns out I am somewhat of an idiot. I thought the dash was sandwiched between the steering column base and the helm unit. :bonk: I was told the entire assemble is mounted from behind the dash, which I guess all systems are like this. Still seems a bit hokey to me because you end up with the column coming through a hole that will have an unfinished edge to it. I would have thought there would be a better design.

Soooo....next question. I'm going to have to make a plate to cover the factory hole and mount the helm to. Anybody have any pics of what they did?

Ed Donnelly
08-07-2007, 12:47 PM
I made mine out off polished stainless steel.. I will go up to the storage unit tonight a take a few pics........Stand by.............Ed

gcarter
08-07-2007, 01:10 PM
I like the SST idea, but something that might be quicker would be a piece of aluminum you could have a machine shop cut the holes and then you paint to match the dash or what ever. That was my solution on the Minx.

smoothie
08-07-2007, 01:36 PM
You can buy em in all different sizes at:http://www.imcomarine.com/nvcatalog/imco2007.pdf

Ed Donnelly
08-07-2007, 02:19 PM
Yeller; Here you go...........Ed

yeller
08-07-2007, 09:28 PM
Thanks for the suggestions.

I like those Imco ones because there are no bolt heads showing.

Ed, your plate is how I'd have to do mine. Looks good. A lot better than I pictured it in my head.

I think I'll do an aluminum plate because I can make that up myself. That'll get me on the water and I can decide later what I want use permanently. Not sure yet if I want a SS plate or try and do what Bald Eagle did and adapt the factory post.