PDA

View Full Version : Engine & Main Wire Harness question

AGUESS
08-06-2007, 09:03 PM
Hi Everyone.

I am almost finished with the restoration of my 66 Classic 18.

When I purchased my used Volvo SX Drive, I also got in the package the wiring harness for the engine (351) and the main harness along with a lot of other items that have proved usless.

Here is my question. The engine wiring harness has a round connector with 9 pin holes(old style). The main harness (I have 3 of them) has 8 pins. I have traced all of the wires with an ohm meter (all are good) and have figured out the difference between the 8 and 9 pin.

It is the red wire with white stripe that I believe goes to the ignition coil. The other wire that I believe goes to the coil is a black ground wire. While this Red/white wire traces back to the engine harness round connector hole, the main harness does not have a pin for that hole. So it just dead ends.

Can anyone tell me if this is correct, or where the red/white wire from the coil goes. Also, what do I do if it is not suppost to dead end at the connector.

Next question.

Should I just purchase a new engine harness and a new main harness. This also leads to the last question, which is the dash wiring.

I was going to cut off the square end of the main wiring harness and just direct wire into the back of each guage. What do you think about that?

Thanks, I am not really good at this wiring thing.

Alex.

One thing I forgot on the original post.

The Red and white stripe wire and the black and white stripe wire are both of a larger guage than the other wires. Also, the R/W wire has a terminal boot cover like you would see on the top of a coil wire.

However in looking at my wiring diagram, it looks like the purple wire from the Alt should go to the Coil.

I am lost here.