PDA

View Full Version : Sunken Donzi

susan.haller
08-06-2007, 05:11 PM
A few nights ago I left my 18 ft classic cruiser (1994) tied up at a public dockage fascility in front of a restaurant we frequent by boat. It was getting dark and I had been having some linkage problems, so rather then risk taking it home in the dark and running into problems, I decided to leave it parked over night which we have done several times before. The next morning I was awoken @ 5:45 am by a frantic coast guard wanting to make sure everyone was home and safe. They had found my boat with only the bow sticking straight out of the water. Come to find out someone had stolen it, drove it 13 miles from where it was docked, vandalized it, put an anchor of the front, the back, and pulled the plug. Imagine my heartache when I saw it. My dilemma now is what to do with it. We took it to our mechanic at the marina and he immediately got the engine going to flush out any water. The engine and the body are in great condition, but the cables, control, and glass on the console, and windshield are broken. Not quite sure of everything else yet. I'd like to maybe find someone who would be interested in buying it in as is condition, or have any other suggestions. Would appreciate any advise.

Thanks
Susan

Pismo
08-06-2007, 07:58 PM
I've been down the sunken boat route as well. Fix it. The big ticket items are still fine like the engine and hull. Some new electrical parts, some cleaning, a day of two in the hot sun to dry completely and she'll be fine. I used mine for another 15-20yrs after the sinking. As hard as it is to believe a fresh water sinking is not that big a deal as long as you get the engine back up fast which you did.

LKSD
08-07-2007, 07:03 AM
The posts so far are pretty much on the money. Its bad, but not necessarily the end of the world if everything was done fast & right. I would also have the drive pulled off & the boots for the u joints dried & regrease the gimble bearing and u joints.

I do also agree that the electrical stuff even if it is working now most of it will probably eventually give some problems and require replacment. The components are designed to be in a damp environment, not submerged. As far as the other "Donzi" items, that is unfortunate, as that will probably be pricey to redo..

Jamie / Lakeside

Donziweasel
08-07-2007, 07:26 AM
Just out of curiosity, did you leave the key in it or did they hotwire it?

Pismo
08-07-2007, 07:28 AM
I had many electrical components work fine after but still fail 1-5yrs later from rust, etc. My gauges however lasted until I sold it 15+ yrs later. So you can be safe and swap now or wait and see and swap as needed. It will be less than you think.

BUIZILLA
08-07-2007, 07:36 AM
I think both Pismo and JW's advice is right....

I don't see a doomsday here

DonziFreak
08-07-2007, 05:02 PM
you would be surprised on how some of those electrical items hold out after a swim....we blew our 45 over and it went in upside down and transom first....we have a $1,000 AIM racing computer system in it and a $500 Gaffrig GPS Speedo....we cleaned out the computer system and the speedo unit with electrical cleaner and WD-40 (THAT STUFF WORKS FOR ALMOST ANYTHING!) to avoid corrosion and dried the systems out, and all works fine and dandy....we actualy won the worlds with our wet gear, haha! as for the engine, as long as your mechanic did the oil changes and flush outs, etc. (everything you need to do after a submergance....) you should be just fine!

just make sure to wd-40 the hell out of your important stuff to avoid the corrosion issues, and you should be fine

drew0982
08-07-2007, 08:23 PM
dam that sucks! restoration shouldn't be too bad, just time consuming. if you do plan on selling it, let me know as i may be interested.

Formula Jr
08-08-2007, 02:15 AM
Syracuse and Coast Guard would point to fresh water, as in Lake Ontario. Aside from the Windshield and replacing the broken gauges, dry her out as soon as possible and you're good to go again.

It does really suck knowing somebody messed with your boat and all.

You took the random hit that everyone has in the back of their minds about crime, and kids acting badly.

But the good news is maybe, you'll find that that windshield wasn't so important on an 18. You can put in that updated GPS speedo now, and you also know that your Donzi can't sink, even in freshwater.

GeneD
12-03-2007, 05:26 PM
This just sounds too wierd for words...
These thieves stole the boat, drove it all over the place, put out an anchor bow and stern (anchors from the Donzi? - geez, I've only got room for one!) then jumped overboard with a wrench and unscrewed the plug?
For what reason was this all done?
Thieves don't do things for no reason. Joyriders are usually children, and what would children be doing out at night, at a dock by a restaurant?
Could be a spurned lover huh?
What happened just doesn't sound right...

fasttrucker
12-08-2007, 11:38 AM
I had a 18ft north american...boss-2. Kind of like a donzi but totally different.Anyway:propeller:It had the old omc outdrive boot get a hole in it and it sunk at the dock.:nilly:"in ft.lauderdale on the new river"My dad:superman: got it fixed-up for me no-issues.Dont sell your donzi.:cool!:

BigGrizzly
12-09-2007, 10:45 AM
JR where did You get that USCG, is only fresh water. You better contact them, because they have more salt water units than fresh water units. We have a contract with them, and 85% of our engines are salt use. Me I would fix it and worry about the gages as they fail. The other issue is WHY would they anchor the boat that way unless they wanted it to be found quickly. A prank gone bad.

boxy
12-09-2007, 11:21 AM
Agg, I forgot.. CG doesnt do saltwater :boggled::bonk::wink::wink:

JR where did You get that USCG, is only fresh water. You better contact them, because they have more salt water units than fresh water units. We have a contract with them, and 85% of our engines are salt use. Me I would fix it and worry about the gages as they fail. The other issue is WHY would they anchor the boat that way unless they wanted it to be found quickly. A prank gone bad.

Fellas, you're missing the point, Syracuse is in the middle of New York State, a Day's drive East from salt water, and about 5 days west. It is surrounded by smaller bodies of water, but because the Coast Guard was involved a reasonable assumption would be they were guarding the coast of AMERICA, and since the closest shared body of water to Syracuse is Lake Ontario/St Lawrence river it seems like a fairly reasonable post.

Flag on the play .... 10 yards for piling on. :D

fasttrucker
12-09-2007, 04:06 PM
North American S22 I believe?? Cool ride...
I have 1 old picture of it.The boat had a pad bottom and was faster then my freinds 18 classic, in flat water.He was better in ruff water.I had a 307 chevy he had a 302 ford.We used to run in the middle river near the icw back in the middle 70,s .all no-wake now.:boat:

BUIZILLA
12-09-2007, 04:15 PM
I'm pretty sure North American started with a S19 and S22.... my dad had the utterly brilliant idea around 1968 of buying an S22 and throwing in a 160hp Perkins diesel with a Stern Power(?)or Marine Power(?), huge Eaton looking drive, thank the Lord he sold it before he ever brought it home, we would have had a family mutiny in the backyard :nilly: when we were in Laconia this summer I came across an original gel medium brownish S19 on a side road for sale, still had the original white nameplates on the hull, right next to a marina that was working on a couple 22 Donzi's.. long, long time since I've seen an S19, and I darn sure didn't expect to see one up there, so I had to pull over on the scooter and check it out...

fasttrucker
12-15-2007, 01:03 PM
I would like to scan the picture I have and post for you to see.Do you think that I could go to stables and have it done?

fasttrucker
12-15-2007, 03:21 PM
I just got back from stables.They told me to buy a cheap scanner and do it myself.I went thru my stuff and found pictures of all my old boats.It might take me a few weeks to post them.thanks.

margo
12-16-2007, 12:35 PM
Like every says keep the boat but get up under the dash and spray the backsides of the guages and switches with wd 40 it displaces water and lubricates...Also spray the engine compartment ...Moveing parts wires dist. and anything else that could corrode....Joe