PDA

View Full Version : Water Pump Question

dclassic
08-05-2007, 09:48 PM
Hello all,

My raw water pump just crapped out today. Opened up the housing and nothing but broken rubber bits and a small piece of broken plastic from the housing. I have a rebuild kit with new housing and impeller and was just wondering what is the trick to getting the impeller in the housing? Also, do all the vanes need to be oriented the same way? I am leaning toward using hose clamps to get it down to size and work it in that way. Any thoughts? FYI I have the style that mounts along with the fuel pump if that matters.

Also what might have caused this to crater and have an untimely death? Boat is never run dry and have not sucked up anything that I can tell. I don't think the impeller has more than 50 hrs at most. Oddly enough last time out the boat ran great and did not have any temp issues. However when I launched today, i didn't make it out of the cove where I put in before I saw the temp make it to 200. Previously it would have been about 160 and only hit 180 during a high speed run.

FYI, swimming a 22 classic back to the ramp is a lot of work. :boggled:
Thanks in advance.

gero1
08-05-2007, 10:20 PM
i use dawn dish washing liq. and just twist it in. all vanes must be going the same way, should be an arrow to show you what way they need to go. then you can squirt a bunch of soap in the pump, hook up the hose's, hook up the water hose to the lower unit and wa la now you have the biggest horse power thru hull bubble machine in the world! i change mine every spring

handfulz28
08-05-2007, 10:36 PM
You could've sucked something over the pickups just long enough to let it run dry and self-destruct. I see plastic bags floating just under the surface down here all the time...
I've managed to get my impellers in with just a good amount of physical encouragement :D The trick I've heard is to use a zip tye to get the blades all going in the right direction. I think the soap is probably a little easier; same trick that's used to get tires onto rims.

Dr. Dan
08-06-2007, 06:03 PM
:eek!:If there are chunks then ya better back flush the System, the smallest peice can cause major issues down stream. It's a good practice to change that out seasonaly if you use your boat alot....even if you don't...they dry out from lack of use as well.

I do one every year... in fact its getting one this month.

Good Luck

Doc :wink:

dclassic
08-06-2007, 06:10 PM
Thanks for the info guys. What is the best way to backflush? Just pull a hose off the exhaust risers and shoot a garden hose in to flush? Or is there a better way?

Thanks again.

tiger lily
08-06-2007, 07:08 PM
if you had it idle out, and there was alot of sea weed just under the surface, thatll cause it to burn up, found that one out before, ive gone a entire season before and not touched, and then one summer had to replace 2 in one season because the weeds were so bad, everyone that was boating in that area was replacing them that last summer