PDA

View Full Version : How to tell year of 18......

fastfun2
08-05-2007, 07:08 PM
Project on hold. I have a 1978 Challenger i need to finish

superhatz
08-06-2007, 01:54 AM
Welcome.......sounds like a neat boat. Try posting some pics and maybe one of the resident geeks can figure it out.......:)

Sweet little 16
08-06-2007, 06:30 AM
go to the lake george donzi classic club's fall picnic, even if the boat doesn't run, there will be someone there that can help answer any questions you have, even if a short road trip is involved to go look at the boat, plus the food is always great ;) it is the weekend after labor day in your back yard out on speaker hecth island
welcome and good luck with the boat

Kirbyvv
08-06-2007, 08:08 AM
I'm on Lake George too. I'm just about finished redoing mine (breaking in a new motor right now). Send me a PM, I'd like to see your boat and can help with the HIN#

go to the lake george donzi classic club's fall picnic, even if the boat doesn't run, there will be someone there that can help answer any questions you have, even if a short road trip is involved to go look at the boat, plus the food is always great ;) it is the weekend after labor day in your back yard out on speaker hecth island
welcome and good luck with the boat

fastfun2
08-06-2007, 03:16 PM
The burgundy one??
Yup. need to build the motor though.

fastfun2
08-06-2007, 03:18 PM
I'm on Lake George too. I'm just about finished redoing mine (breaking in a new motor right now). Send me a PM, I'd like to see your boat and can help with the HIN#
Hi Kirby, Its Johnny from performance marine. Im going and try to get6 her running for next years spring dust off. Rick likes the boat also. Id like to suprise him by getting the boat done so dont tell him.

DonziFreak
08-07-2007, 04:05 AM
does the boat have a sharp keel? or a round keel? that will tell you if it's pre or post 67

Sweet little 16
08-07-2007, 06:09 AM
what Donzifreak is referring to is the barrel back and std 18 configurations
the sharp keeled barrel backs were made into mid 1968 then the standard 18 2 +3 rounded keel started to appear
the orange boat is a barrel back 18
notice the arch to the transom and deck joint
the red and white is a std 18 configuration

and the background should look familiar to you fastfun2 ;)

Sweet little 16
08-07-2007, 06:33 AM
if the 270 is the original drive that puts it in the 72-73 era bet it is a replacement drive, it is not burgundy with like orange and yellow stripe that wraps around the back is it???

fastfun2
08-07-2007, 07:52 AM
If I remember it correctly, it's a round keel/270 Volvo.
yup its more brown than burgundy though

Kirbyvv
08-07-2007, 08:38 AM
Johnny,
So you had so much fun testing mine you had to have your own..cool. where is the boat right now? I can stop by on my way north one of these days and we can climb under the deck and look for the HIN #. Look at the back of the dash for a number scrawled in magic marker or up by the bow eye bolt. I still have a bunch of parts in the back room at performance and at home, like a 1 yr old steering cable, trim assembly, etc.

fastfun2
08-07-2007, 04:10 PM
Kirby, i really need to get the boat cleaned up before i go under the deck. The boat has been sitting on blocks for 10+ years. Rick wants the boat also and he has done ALOT of nice favors for me so i figured a nice thanks you would be a restored donzi.:cool::biggrin.:

DonziFreak
08-07-2007, 04:47 PM
what Donzifreak is referring to is the barrel back and std 18 configurations
the sharp keeled barrel backs were made into mid 1968 then the standard 18 2 +3 rounded keel started to appear
the orange boat is a barrel back 18
notice the arch to the transom and deck joint
the red and white is a std 18 configuration

ya, he said it the right way...haha, and a 270 is what i have on my barrel-back, its a really nice cruising drive