PDA

View Full Version : Help using Mr Bluewrench

Cuda
08-04-2007, 05:28 PM
I've never used an acetalyne torch before. My dad gave me his last week, because he feels he's too old to trust himself with a torch. Anyway, I'm using a AA 2 tip, put the acetalyne pressure at 5, and the oxygen pressure at 20. When I light it, just as soon as I crack the O2 knob at all, it will pop and blow the flame out. What am I doing wrong?

Carl C
08-04-2007, 05:50 PM
Acetylene about 12 psi, oxygen around 30. Loosen the oxy knob then lightly close it so that you can open it slowly without it snapping open. Light the acetylene then quickly add a little oxygen or you'll have soot evertwhere! How did you survive without a torch before now!!!:eek!:

Cuda
08-04-2007, 05:52 PM
Never mind, I figured out I had too much pressure on the acetalyne. I just heated up the bolt I'm trying to get out, now I'm letting it cool.

Rootsy
08-05-2007, 12:50 PM
Cuda,

heat AROUND the bolt... not the bolt itself... expand the female threads and remove fastener while the surrounding material is still hot...

MOP
08-05-2007, 02:16 PM
Joe be careful heating the cast iron it has a very high expansion rate and is very easy ti crack.

Phil

Cuda
08-05-2007, 07:14 PM
It's the head the bolt is stuck to. I'm sure if I can get something on it to give it a good pull, I could get it loose. I just brought my neighbor over and asked him if he thought he could mig weld a nut on whats left of that bolt. If I get home in time, he's going to try tomorrow. I experimented with acetalyne welding today. I tried to weld a nut to a bolt, and it didn't work out. Those are hardened bolts, they won't be easy to cut, or grind off.

Here's what I'm up against. As you can see, they are kind of in a scalloped space on the head.

The last picture is of a bolt I put back in the head to take some of the pressure off it. I'm sure it's not seized in the threads. None of the other 31 bolts I took out were.