PDA

View Full Version : 1988 Donzi Regazza low voltage HEI

page454
08-02-2007, 11:05 PM
My 1988 Donzi Regazza wouldn't rev over 4000 RPM's so under inspection I noticed I only have around 11.8 volts going to the ignition coil which is a GM HEI distributor. Battery voltage is always at least 12.5 volts so I didn't know if this is a common problem or what are the most common things to check. I swapped engines during the winter and have a shop manual with wiring diagram and everything is wired correctly. If anyone had any ideas please respond back.

MOP
08-03-2007, 06:08 AM
If that is the automotive distributor the advance curve may not work well in a boat, low voltage could hurt somewhat depends on how much spark the coil is producing. Last but not least it could be as simple as to much prop for you app. Check the timing to see what you WOT timing is, also let us know what engine you have. Back to the voltage thing, I had an alternator go bad on my 16 on a trip back from Montauk. That is a pretty long run from my place, it ran fine all the way down to 8 volts on the dash gauge I even got the drive up at the ramp!

Phil