PDA

View Full Version : 454 Buildup

falcon
08-02-2007, 04:01 PM
i am currently running two 454 marine power premium motors(circa 1995) in a non-donzi application----although these motors have given me flawless performance ----i am starting to think of how to refresh them. They have rochester carbs and some computerized ignit. They are 4 bolt mains, forged crankshaft, med-riser intake. factory publications indicate 370hp at shaft.

between my friend and I do most mechanical work, have no steady mechanic on call and not sure who will be able to work on the computer stuff when they give up.

what should my wish list include?

mrfixxall
08-02-2007, 04:11 PM
that depends on how much power you want and how deep your pockets are:wink: if it were me i would get 496 rotating assemblies and start from their...your motors how they are now ive dynoed at 500 + hp but you have to build them my way

falcon
08-03-2007, 08:56 AM
not looking to develop more power---i guess i am looking to maintain power levels with a simplier system---boat is used for offshore fishing---something that can be trouble shooted ---nd realiable

oldandtired
08-03-2007, 09:10 AM
Since reliability is your primary concern, I wouldn't touch the insides. Check or replace your exhaust regularly and wait till things break to fix them. My limited experience says that more rebuilds happen to engines that were "refreshed" than engines that were left alone. Just my 2 cents,

Rene

VetteLT193
08-03-2007, 09:20 AM
Since reliability is your primary concern, I wouldn't touch the insides. Check or replace your exhaust regularly and wait till things break to fix them. My limited experience says that more rebuilds happen to engines that were "refreshed" than engines that were left alone. Just my 2 cents,
Rene

I agree