PDA

View Full Version : Help! Need 1976 280 TRS (SBC) Raw Water Pump

gpapich
08-02-2007, 01:38 PM
Hey guys,
I need your help. I'm trying to replace the raw water pump on my 1976 X-18. It has a Mercruiser 280 TRS drivetrain with the stock small block Chevy 350 V-8. I believe the raw water pump is a Jabsco and is the earlier of the raw water pumps used on the TRS series engines
I have been on the Internet and the word is that the earlier pump is no longer in production. The replacement pump is about twice as long and was used on 330 TRS's (Chev 454s). The customer service tech I'm working with is trying to get me to convert over to the new series pump which means I would need a new pulley, bracket, and most likely belt. He's saying it would be considered an upgrade.
The point is that I need a one-for-one swap, not to convert part of my cooling system.
Any sage words of advice? See the pix. The nasty shot is the pump needing replacement. The other is the new series pump (~9" long)
Thanks in advance!

MOP
08-02-2007, 06:20 PM
You can get all the parts to rebuild the pump on the right, it is the same one that is on my SB. It is also adjustable within the bracket, so length should not be an issue. The other alternative if you have space ahead of the crank pulley is to use a crank driven pump, Poodle can help you do that and you will loose one belt!

EDIT: there is absolutely no reason not to use the newer pump!! I waited for you pic to load you have the adjustable bracket it is simple!!!!

Phil

gcarter
08-02-2007, 08:58 PM
What Phil said...although I'd go w/a crank driven pump. A heck of a lot easier to change impellors.

gpapich
08-03-2007, 07:57 PM
I haven't tried to rebuild the older pump because it's not a simple impeller change. The shaft seals are leaking by and I figured it'd be easier to just go for an entire rebuilt pump.

I'd prefer to not go with the crank-mounted pump as I need to manually rotate my engine to set valve lash (prior owner put a solid lifter cam in).

The later pump will probably work, I just don't want to get into another $100 to $150 worth of parts to change configuration. Maybe I'll pull the original pump and attempt a pump rebuild myself. Just trying to keep it simple.

Take care and thanks again!

George