PDA

View Full Version : Minx - New Paint

VetteLT193
08-01-2007, 11:17 AM
I'm planning on painting my Minx... I was going to do it over winter, but with work I may have time to paint now instead of later... I am basically set on using Interlux Perfection for paint. After doing a bunch of research it seems like the best choice for me... so, this means no metallic, or any other funky finishes.

The interior has to be all white, or almost all white. The gray I have now is way to hot for me.

Options:
1) All white, with twin red shelby style stripes. (like the pics attached)
2) Classic White, red boot, single red stripe
3) Classic Red hull, white boot, single red stripe
4) Other ideas? I'm up for suggestions...

Feel free to post your opinions, good or bad!

mrfixxall
08-01-2007, 12:21 PM
I wouldnt use interlux!! go with a name brand paint...awlgrip, Dupont (imron),,sikkens or ppg...Just remember '' the nicer the nice the higher the price'':wink:

VetteLT193
08-01-2007, 12:31 PM
I wouldnt use interlux!! go with a name brand paint...awlgrip, Dupont (imron),,sikkens or ppg...Just remember '' the nicer the nice the higher the price'':wink:

Interlux and Awlgrip are owned by the same company, and as I understood it the Interlux Perfection paint is Awlgrip but with a preset mix to allow it to be rolled/tipped instead of sprayed. (perfection comes with both parts in the same package to dumb it down for beginners)

Did I get bad info??

I really don't want to have to spray the boat, I don't have a place to do it and it will make the whole process that much more of a PITA.

RedDog
08-01-2007, 12:40 PM
I think that color combo / pattern will look really nice on a Minx!

rustnrot
08-01-2007, 01:09 PM
I'd go with the Perfection with white hull and red accents. A white hull should show less of the "imperfection" of your Perfection than a red one and also be cooler. While I have not used this stuff, I have rolled and tipped alot of varnish and boy is it easy and straightforward.

As for me, I am going to try to spray one of the Awlcraft metallics on my Chris Craft XK18 (originally it had the even bigger bass boat size flakes in the gel). Nope, I am not a professional painter but I'm gonna try it..I can always give up after I've "practiced" on the hull bottom if it comes out unsatisfactory and hire the deck done.

gcarter
08-01-2007, 02:36 PM
Are you planning on pulling off the deck??? The rub rails??? All the trim??? The outdrive, gimbal and tabs???? Strip the interior???
If you want to see what a boat paint job looks like w/o doing this, come see my new-to-me 22 Testarossa!!!!!!!!!!!!
This may be a much bigger job than you might think.
Another thing to think about is can you do a coat w/o stopping??? Can perfection be "stopped and started" w/o blending (I don't know, but many paints can't)
Very carefully think this through. Find someone who's used the product and ask as many questions as you can.
BTW, that is a nice color combo.

VetteLT193
08-01-2007, 03:06 PM
Are you planning on pulling off the deck??? The rub rails??? All the trim??? The outdrive, gimbal and tabs???? Strip the interior???
If you want to see what a boat paint job looks like w/o doing this, come see my new-to-me 22 Testarossa!!!!!!!!!!!!
This may be a much bigger job than you might think.
Another thing to think about is can you do a coat w/o stopping??? Can perfection be "stopped and started" w/o blending (I don't know, but many paints can't)
Very carefully think this through. Find someone who's used the product and ask as many questions as you can.

-I'm not planning on pulling off the deck.
-I'd like to pull the rub rail and replace it after painting with Stainless.
-I will remove the trim and hardware.
-I am considering painting around the drive, but removing the tabs. Basically, the drive is the only thing questionable at this point.
-I'm considering trying to find something to make a shelby-styled wind screen out of... mainly because the Minx windshield actually works too good :bonk:

So far, everything I've read about perfection is good. I have read everything I could find, from personal opinions to manufacturer data... if anyone knows anything or knows of anyone that knows anything, please let me know!!

I know this is a huge job :eek!:

Thanks for any advice, I appreciate it because I know you have the experience!

Budmann
08-01-2007, 03:07 PM
Slick lookin color for a Minx!!!

VetteLT193
08-01-2007, 07:26 PM
So far it seems that no one has a problem with the new color scheme? I thought for sure I'd get a couple of negatives so the general opinion isn't too bad as of now anyway:wink:

Any other advice on the perfection paint?

Since it seems like the twin stripe idea isn't a bad one, how about interior??
I'm in the middle of getting in touch with PPI to get prices. Is it worth getting the shelby style interior if the price isn't off the chart, or should I keep it classic. this is another area I'm on the fence about

The other thought I had was ether classic white, with red piping or do it like the 40th anniversary and continue the stripes through the seats... options options options...

gcarter
08-01-2007, 07:59 PM
I know you said you don't have a place to spray it...but if it were mine, I'd spray white gel on the whole thing and paint the stripes. That's just me. The things you really have to look at w/painting, whether rolling or spraying, is good edge adhesion...around the gimbal or ANY edge on the boat. If it's not done correctly it'll peel from that edge and the gray will show. This is why it's so important to strip the boat as much as possible. BTW, what color is the bottom? If it's gray also, maybe a set of dollies would be something you should look into to access the bottom.
If you could completely prep the boat, perhaps you could find an automotive paint shop to spray it for you.
http://www.donzi.net/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=19278&d=1142611415

gcarter
08-01-2007, 08:04 PM
As far as the Minx windshield goes, paint it too. I've seen at least two that had painted stock windshields. After all, you look over it.

Cuda
08-01-2007, 08:29 PM
I painted a Formula F20SC I had. I had never held a paintgun in my hand before starting this. I used Interlux Brightsides. I got better as I went along. By the time I got to the transom, I don't think you could have paid any amount of money and gotten a better looking paint job. In this picture, the transom paint is dry, yet it looks like you could stick you arm elbow deep in it. I rolled on the bottom black stripe, because I didn't feel like masking everything off again, or cleaning out the paint gun. I figured if it looked like crap, I'd just sand it off and then shoot it. It's really amazing how this paint will flatten itself out. As a matter of fact, I rolled and brushed on all the bottom. I masked off almost all the hardware, and just cut it close with an exacto knife. The picture of it outside on the trailer is the way it looked the day I sold it. There is also a picture of the boat the day I brought it home.
As far as the paint plan, I like the twin stripe look. I say go for it, and keep us updated with picture along the way. It's actually quite fun.

Cuda
08-01-2007, 08:35 PM
For some reason, I could only get one picture to post at a time in the above post.

sweet 16 1966
08-01-2007, 10:02 PM
George, Is that your 22 pictured?

gcarter
08-02-2007, 05:58 AM
George, Is that your 22 pictured?
Nope, the Minx after I took the hooks out and re-gelled the bottom. In this pic, I had just finished buffing the bottom of the forward half of the boat.

sweet 16 1966
08-02-2007, 06:04 AM
Somehow, it looks different ? So, do you miss it ? Next time down, I would like to see your new project.

gcarter
08-02-2007, 06:07 AM
Somehow, it looks different ? So, do you miss it ? Next time down, I would like to see your new project.
Come on...you know where I am.
Office-352-365-2337

VetteLT193
08-02-2007, 06:55 AM
My hull bottom is white... as is the interior fiberglass, and deck fiberglass. The only gray items are the seats, stripe, sides, and that minx stripe by the vents. It is 20 years old though, and isn't as 'white' as I'd like it to be.

Anyone have experience with painting plexiglass? About the same process as fiberglass?

The shield is in decent shape now... There are the typical plexi signs of aging on the side pieces, but the front is almost perfect and you can actually see through it... I figured by trying to make a new shield I'd be able to scrap it and go back to the original if need be. However, I have zero experience with trying to create a windshield.

Cuda, thanks for your pictures & info... Are you saying that rolling out the stripe worked well enough that you would roll a whole boat? They had perfection on Ship Shape TV not long ago, and it looked great... but it is TV. Every picture also looks great, but, they are pictures:wink:

VetteLT193
08-02-2007, 07:26 AM
BTW: Thanks for everyone's support. Even virtual support through a computer helps on a job like this!

VetteLT193
10-12-2007, 07:51 AM
My brother's boat is still at my house (which I can use), and the weather is starting to break, so I'm finally going to get into this project.

Can someone help me with the coverage amounts on Perfection? I'm not 100% sure what the data means.

Coverage (Theoretical) - 534.9 (ft²/Gal) @ 3 mils WFT (allow appropriate loss factor)

1) what does WFT mean?
2) I assume this is a per coat measurement, meaning I have to divide the number by 2 assuming 2 coats?
3) How many square feet should I plan for (i.e. has anyone figured out a 22C or Minx for paint?)

Any help would be appreciated!!

gcarter
10-12-2007, 08:07 AM
Very roughly, the area, less the bottom, is about 400 sq. ft.
I don't know what WFT means.

MOP
10-12-2007, 09:59 AM
Not sure if anyone has mentioned this in this thread, you can not leave a painted bottom/water line boat in the water for any length of time the paint will not survive. It has been posted many times before but guys forget!

Phil

VetteLT193
10-12-2007, 10:37 AM
Very roughly, the area, less the bottom, is about 400 sq. ft.
I don't know what WFT means.

Thanks!!

Is that top, sides, stern and interior, or minus interior?

That is good news regardless. At approx $250 / gallon I should only need 2 gallons for the whole job for 2 coats.

gcarter
10-12-2007, 03:29 PM
Thanks!!
Is that top, sides, stern and interior, or minus interior?
That is good news regardless. At approx $250 / gallon I should only need 2 gallons for the whole job for 2 coats.
I didn't subtract the cockpit and I added a bit anyway so it should be good.

VetteLT193
10-12-2007, 03:37 PM
I didn't subtract the cockpit and I added a bit anyway so it should be good.

Thanks again for the great information!!!!

I'll start posting pics after I get going... hopefully this weekend.:)

VetteLT193
11-18-2007, 07:14 PM
It's a month later than expected, but I finally got started today.

The paint on the boat is automotive. Even though it looks great in the pics, in real life it is a 20 foot paint job.

It is layered pretty thick, without a primer. I started at the nose, and worked my way back. About one third into the side I got my pressure washer out to clean things up and found out that I could blow most of the paint off. I didn't do much more after that, but the pressure washer is going to be my primary method to get the old paint off going forward.

gcarter
11-18-2007, 07:24 PM
congratulations on getting started, that's half the battle.

VetteLT193
11-18-2007, 07:28 PM
congratulations on getting started, that's half the battle.

Thanks, and you aren't kidding. The toughest step is the first one.

The good news is I'm only a couple hours into the project and it's going faster than I thought it would. My goal of the day was 1/3 of the side.

I have used a lot of your threads for help, so thanks for posting all your details!!

VetteLT193
11-25-2007, 05:28 PM
Here's an update. I got most of the hardware off... The entire rub rail, windshield, antennas (which won't go back), and all the snaps for the cockpit cover (also won't go back), and the forward pop up cleat.

I got more of this side done, and started a bit on the transom and other side... The transom is layered really thick and will be a PITA, the other side is about the same as this one. I also started on the stripe in the rear, and that is easy so far.

yeller
11-25-2007, 05:39 PM
...and all the snaps for the cockpit cover (also won't go back...)Nice...get rid of them. Wish I could do the same to mine. I hate snaps on a boat.

VetteLT193
11-26-2007, 07:11 AM
Nice...get rid of them. Wish I could do the same to mine. I hate snaps on a boat.

I have to admit that the idea came from my brother... He removed the snaps from his 22 and it looks much better. I am surprised to see them on the new Shelby's.

VetteLT193
02-15-2008, 10:26 AM
Here's an update, moving slow on this but getting there. This side is ready for primer. Even though there is paint left, everything is smooth. I should get the other side finished this weekend... then it's the transom. I've left the boat in working form as of now, so I haven't pulled anything off the transom yet.