PDA

View Full Version : Stock OMC vs Merc Classic 18's

jjdiv
08-01-2007, 08:54 AM
High end performance aside, I would appreciate any comments about stock OMC vs Merc powered 18 classics. Engine, Drives, Maintenance, Hull construction differences?

Many thanks for your opinions!

VetteLT193
08-01-2007, 09:57 AM
My opinion: (this is really my opinion, I don't intend on making anyone upset)

I personally wouldn't even consider an OMC powered Donzi when I was looking because I didn't want to deal with parts (or lack of them), and more important than that, I am not in an area that is big on I/O, and it is hard enough to find a Merc mechanic if need be... I'll never find an OMC mech. in my area. I also don't want to have weeks or months of downtime trying to get parts. I did basic parts searches for OMC cobra drives, and even though they can be found, they are not nearly as available as Merc parts.

Also, OMC years the quality of Donzi went down hill. I know some that claim they are great, but in general the Merc powered Donzi's have a quality that is second to none. The deck stripe is all gel, the quality of all the hardware is amazing, etc. etc.

I found a couple of really good deals on OMC powered Donzi's and I just couldn't pull the trigger. I even found one for $5k, including a year old aluminum trailer that cost almost $2,500:eek!:

On the flip side, there are Donzi owners on this board that have had years of trouble free use and have some of the nicest Donzi's out there...

jjdiv
08-01-2007, 12:15 PM
Wow...
VERY rarely will I ask someone to pass the popcorn, but I'll take a package of Jalapeno/cheese flavor please...
The other Scott
X OMC boat owner...
I speak a few languages but I'm struggling here--translation please?
Thanks

chappy
08-01-2007, 12:18 PM
I speak a few languages but I'm struggling here--translation please?
Thanks

It means this thread will be very interesting to watch, because some board members may have very different opinions on the subject at hand.:yes:

Rich

VetteLT193
08-01-2007, 12:43 PM
It means this thread will be very interesting to watch, because some board members may have very different opinions on the subject at hand.:yes:
Rich

Awww crap, I certainly didn't mean to piss on anyone's Wheaties.:boggled:

(but I'm still scared to buy an OMC boat)

BigGrizzly
08-01-2007, 12:59 PM
Of course I will add my own opinion that is also backed by fact. One nice thing about a OMC DONZI is I won't have to look for parts for my OMC because I won't need any. The quality really isn't any worse or better. I have had them since 1966 and everybody Likes their year better. I have heard the pros and cons for over 10 years, and non really hold water. Remember the engines really are the same except for the ignition systems, cam configurations. I personally don't like either ignition system. The only problem may be re-sale, exactly for the reasons you are asking, because someone said they weren't as good. Here is a good example. People say "the old ones are better". here is one for you how many stringers have had to be replaced on pre OMC years- alot! Don't let the OMC stigma hinder your thoughts. AS Donzi weasel says "If your lucky enough to have a DONZI your lucky enough!". I normally would stay out of this but I am tired Of people bashing the product from hearsay. Here is an Idea Check The warranty figures Of the OMC vs the Post and pre era. :eek!::eek!: Vette this has nothing to do with your answer, just some that will follow. Poodle please pass me the popcorn.

jjdiv
08-01-2007, 01:56 PM
As this unfolds, maybe someone can chime in on the King Cobra (duo-prop) vs a single prop--better? worse? Hole shot? High speed instability??

Can they all be rigged with a Quick & Quiet system?

Also, fit & finish??

DonziChris
08-01-2007, 04:51 PM
I also thought I would never buy a omc made donzi until I found out what the guys on this board really thought about them. Was suprised to hear some pretty good things about them. I currently own a 1993 chriscraft made omc 18 with a 351 ford, and a cone clutch king drive. I could not be any happier with the quality or performance of this boat. I have found nothing cheaply made on this boat. Believe me I've looked. I get nothing but compliments when people see this boat. I think if you compare a omc made boat to a non omc made boat, instead of hearsay you might me suprised. I owned a american marine holding made 16 before this boat. I would definitley buy another omc made donzi. Chris

MOP
08-01-2007, 09:12 PM
There was nothing "Cheezie" about the OMC boats, quite a few of us have or have had them. I had a 16 with a mildly worked 302 and a bottom shifter similar to the Alpha but quite a bit tougher, the larger boats with bigger power and cone shifters have proven to be quite a bit better then wearing black on back. Parts an issue not yet but feared by some, the only parts that will over time get scarce with be drive train parts. For sure no worse and much better then owning an SS or a Blackhawk, those boys don't worry about parts they just keep on trucking!!!

Barry Eller
08-02-2007, 06:43 AM
You're causing me to have an existential meltdown. OMC's King Cobras are so good, even a Caveman would like mine. :bonk:
And my Chris Craft made Donzi is GREAT! Chris Craft has been building fine boats a lot longer than Donzi. A lot longer than MOST manufacturers have been around.
And my deck stripe is GEL...

DonziChris
08-02-2007, 03:05 PM
Maybe some of the misconception is a good thing, as I think this may be part of the reason I was able to buy a well built 18, At a very reasonable price.

vonkamp
08-02-2007, 05:52 PM
You're causing me to have an existential meltdown. OMC's King Cobras are so good, even a Caveman would like mine. :bonk:
And my Chris Craft made Donzi is GREAT! Chris Craft has been building fine boats a lot longer than Donzi. A lot longer than MOST manufacturers have been around.

Now THATS funny! :rlol::rlol::rlol:

sweet 16 1966
08-02-2007, 07:45 PM
People go with what and who they know. Still not seeing any proof either way. Its a preference likely with who can be trusted to do the work when needed. When I moved my Donzi to Richmond in 1985, I sent the pre Alpha home via UPS to be rebuilt. Still going.

VetteLT193
08-03-2007, 07:03 AM

-18's won't have the KING:wink:

-Chris Craft has been building fine boats? At one point yes, but they went down the crapper in the 80's... They were so poorly built that they opened the door for many of the new manufacturers that are dominant today. The really good thing is they didn't change the Donzi much. It's not like they changed the mold and made the rear seat base out of wood to save a few bucks (and yes, Chris Craft actually did that on many of the models they built in those days.)

-I should have been more specific... the pin stripes around the deck stripe. It's an easy visual example of a change that was made during those years... although it may have been changed regardless of who owned the company!

All of this reminds me of the 1984 Corvette. To this day they are de-valued because of problems in the beginning... at this point the problems are all worked out and are the 'same' as the rest of them, but they are still easy to buy cheap and hard to sell for really no reason at this point.

DonziChris
08-03-2007, 03:30 PM
That's funny mine has a king ?

Barry Eller
08-04-2007, 12:46 PM
That's funny mine has a king ?

I don't think Mr. vette read your earlier post...Chris, pass me a cold beer to wash down my popcorn would you! :beer::wink: Before I relapse into another existential meltdown.

Long live "The King"!

DonziChris
08-04-2007, 05:04 PM
Hey Barry, Was out on the lake all day, Just got home and read your post, Had to laugh. By the way it shifts real fine even though it's an omc ? Take care Chris