PDA

View Full Version : Bellhousing blues.....

KerrLake
07-31-2007, 09:46 PM
I'm down to the last thing I need to get done to put my boat back together. I'm taking out the hinge pins to change the u-joint bellows. First pin comes out no problem. Second pin won't budge. So out comes the torch, still won't budge. Here comes the BIG wrench and using the Merc hinge pin tool, the threads strip out. Is welding a bolt onto the hinge pin the best way to get it out? Anything else I should do?
Brian

oldandtired
07-31-2007, 10:13 PM
What kind of drive is it. On a bravo, the bellows can be replaced without taking apart the gimbal/bellhousing. Welding could be touchy around there. I would worry about melting the aluminum. I think that drilling would be your only option.

Rene

penbroke
08-01-2007, 07:39 AM
This thread (http://www.donzi.net/forums/showthread.php?t=48754) details what I did with mine...

Is it the threads that are stripped or the teeth inside the head of the pin?

Frank

KerrLake
08-01-2007, 11:15 AM
It is a TRS. The teeth inside of the head are stripped. So welding onto the bolt may be a bad idea? I am afraid I will damaged the threads in the bell housing if I drill it out. I asked a welder about it and he said he thought he could do it with a tig. He also is not a boat mechainc either. How hot do i need to get the bellhousing to release the locktight? I'm tyrying not to mess up this very expensive part.:bonk:

mrfixxall
08-01-2007, 12:15 PM
just use propane or map torch (DONT WSE A CUTTING TOURCH) it will f up the aluminum..take your time warming it up..

Rodger
08-01-2007, 01:04 PM
On a TRS the bellows can be replaced without separating the gimbal and bell housing.

KerrLake
08-01-2007, 03:16 PM
To replace the bellows without separating the bellhousing would you take out the support rings and stuff it through the opening? How would you clean and get enough bellows adhesive on it?

Should I heat enough to smoke the paint or is that too hot?

Rodger
08-01-2007, 04:25 PM
I did it about 15 years ago so I may not remember the details but I did not remove the support rings and I was able to clean the surfaces with laquer thinner. I remember that even though it was not a pleasure, I was successfull in applyjng the adhesive. I also remember doing it at night, outside, with only an extension light to see by.
This info may not exactly help to guide you, but at least you know it is possible.