PDA

View Full Version : stainless logos

zelatore
07-29-2007, 04:32 PM
Some of you may remember back a few months ago there was discussion about making a set of stainless steel DONZI logos similar to what's used on the Shelbys. At the time, I said 'hey, I think I could do that'.

(here's a link to the original thread)
http://www.donzi.net/forums/showthread.php?t=48479

Well, it took forever since we had to sneek the job in between 'real' jobs, but I've finally got them done!

We did 2 sizes, as you can see in the attached photos. I've also attached a pic of the smaller size fitted on the transom of my boat. I think most people were interested in the larger letters, so most of the production was in them.

The letters have a protective sheet stuck to the polished side when they ship to help prevent scratchs. Since they were cut on a waterjet, the edges are pretty sharp. I've taken my dremel and a small stone and made a quick buzz around the edges to keep anybody from cutting themselves, but I didn't want to do too much as I didn't want to create a beveled edge. I've also taken a belt sander to the back side to rough them up slightly so the 5200 will have something better to grip.

To install, I just stuck them on with white 5200, held them in place with tape overnight, then came back with a razor blade and cleaned up any extra 5200 that had squeezed out around the sides. I'd recomend leaving the protective sheeting in place during installation, then after everything has set-up, peel if off and hit them with a little polish to remove any adheasive residue.

For reference, the logo on the transom of my boat is 21" wide. That gives me .75" on either side between the exhaust and the letters. If the bottom left side of the D is at 0", then the others are as follows: center of the O=7 1/16"; left edge of N=9 3/4"; left edge of Z=14 3/4", and right edge of I=21".

Obviously, you would space them however it looks best on your boat.

Figure $100 per "DONZI" set for the larger letters, and $80 per for the smaller letters.

If anybody is still interested, PM me. I'll take a stack of them down to work with me this week, so I should be able to UPS them upon request.

Hopefully I'm not stepping on any board rules by putting this stuff up for sale ... it's not exactly a big money maker, it's meant more as a 'community service' as the reports of $400+ for the factory letters seemed a bit salty!

BigGrizzly
07-29-2007, 07:39 PM
Don that is a good job, very nice. Now I need to see what I can put them on.

VetteLT193
07-30-2007, 06:54 AM
I asked in the other thread, but is a "set" of letters for one side, or both sides of the boat?

Basically, does a set include 1 "DONZI" or 2?

Thanks!

Mr X
07-30-2007, 07:09 AM
They look nice, what is the thickness? They look MUCH thinner than the factory version.

zelatore
07-30-2007, 12:01 PM
The material is .048" stock. We looked at going with .060", but the stock price was double.

I'm not sure how thick the factory shelby letters are as I don't have a set to put a mic on. I think they may be thicker. When we were considering how thick to go, I looked at how thick the letters we were using on our Carvers were - .11" (approx twice what I used). Two things came to mind: 1-the Carver letters are used on MUCH larger boats as their smallest rig is a 35' flybridge motoryacht, and 2-I've lost at least half a dozen letters off the sides of Carvers over the last couple years - they are pretty heavy realitive to thier surface area I guess. And since Carver charges about $50/per letter, it can get expensive once it's out of warranty!

The .048" stock definately gives a 3D effect; it's obvious it's not a sticker. In addition to the stock thickness, the 5200 adds some thickness as well, so the letters 'float' slightly off the gellcoat.

I didn't set out to exactly duplicate the shelby logo, but it is very similar

The price is for 5 letters: D O N Z I; big or small. Right now, I only have a few of the small sets cut as I didn't think many people wanted them. I've got a few more still at my brother's shop that need to be dressed before we ship them out.

roadtrip se
07-30-2007, 03:37 PM
I'm in for a couple of sets.

PM sent.

Todd

zelatore
08-01-2007, 11:44 AM
OK, just a head's up:

I'm temporarily out of the smaller letters, but I have more that can ship once I prep them. I still have a few of the larger sets ready to ship.

I've got some travel going on (not to mention the mother-in-law arrives today:eek!:) so I'll need a little time to get the next batch ready for Mr. UPS but I'll post a note when I'm done.

Come on guys - I need you to buy hundreds of these things if I'm going to finance that new 500 HP EFI and Imco shorty... :wink:

RedDog
08-01-2007, 12:34 PM
Put me in for 2 sets of the small ones

Pismo
08-02-2007, 05:10 PM
Can anyone suggest a different adhesive that will more easily come off down the road, yet still hold well. 5200 will pull off the gelcoat.

zelatore
08-02-2007, 05:22 PM
You might try 4200 fast cure, or Sikaflex; both of them are still pretty strong but not quite as 'permanent' as 5200.

I've also seen people use various types of epoxies, but they are 'permanent' as well and they set up hard, which I don't like. You could also consider some of the automotive trim adhesives from 3M or the like - I'm not sure if they would be up to it or not.

After Carever had problems with loosing letters out of their logos, they started putting screws in them. Unfortunatly, it didn't look very good and they've stopped on the newest boats. I'm not sure what product they are currently using.