PDA

View Full Version : Second run in the X. This one may cost more

SideshowRob
07-29-2007, 03:26 PM
Heh... So we took the boat out yesterday. Outdrive locked in place, things were much better. We cruised about 10 miles, doin about 45-48mph, and all of a sudden it kicked out of gear :eek: no noise, no clunk, we were right by my buddies dock, so we got a little tow :frown: I checked the controls and did some poking around, it wasn't the neutral button, so I figured it was a job best investigated on the trailer.... got the long tow of shame home, so sad. Ha , it's still the coolest boat on the lake though.
So before I start blindly digging, where should I start? I'm thinking it must be in the upper outdrive area, I'm just surprised there was no noise indicators???
Any experience, educated guesses, advice, are as always, much appreciated :boggled:
(so much for waiting till fall to pull the outdrive)

Sweet little 16
07-30-2007, 09:55 AM
what type drive merc or volvo?

MOP
07-30-2007, 10:40 AM
No noise is a very good sign! The drive shaft coupler is the likely cause. If it is the coupler which a am pretty sure of you do not need to remove the drive! Remove the back cover and disconnect the shift link, drain about a quart of oil out. Look at the oil if it is clear and free of metal then proceed to remove the four bolts that hold the upper gear case on. Once they are out tap the sides upper a few timed with a block of wood to get it free, lift the upper off. Down about 1-34" there is the coupler my guess is you will find two pieces, one real easy to pick and the other a little bit of a pain. To get the lower half out get some fairly strong bailing wire about 4-5" long bend a small L in each one, slide one down each side of what is left of the coupler. Catch the bottom edge and lift out the broken piece, you need the coupler and the mating surface Oring to put it back together. Top off the oil and go for it!

PMed you my cell if you have???
Phil

vonkamp
07-30-2007, 03:24 PM
Here's another IPB.
Phil, are you talking about #55 (dog)? I have had the same problem as Sideshow describes and it was a broken dog. Wonder who decided that part needed to called a "dog":confused::)

SideshowRob
08-02-2007, 08:00 PM
Thank you again for all the assistance, unfortunately I haven't been able to look at the boat yet. 95-103 degree heat. After working outside all day, I haven't had the energy, hopefully tommorow though :crossfing:
Again thank you for the help :cool:

Robbie J.

vonkamp
08-02-2007, 08:21 PM
what you need. Mabey MOP will chime in here.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/VOLVO-PENTA-270-275-280-STERNDRIVE-PARTS_W0QQitemZ250150656033QQihZ015QQcategoryZ5044 2QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

MOP
08-02-2007, 10:11 PM
Part#45 is the connecting sleeve between the upper and lower, it is scored to allow it to shear. It will shear on impact or also if the carb cable setup wrong so there is no delay to allow the drive to engage before throttle is applied. Many guys install a new type carb and eliminate the slide block at the carb which can help to shear the coupler sleeve. Anyone who has a Volvo drive should heed the fact they must have throttle delay, I know many do not and they will let you down at the worst times!!!!

http://216.37.204.206/Shorts/Volvo_oem/Volvo.asp?Type=13&A=7&B=172

SideshowRob
08-07-2007, 08:27 PM
Well I finally had some time to look at the boat and here is what I found. The dog was fine, however I believe some wate in the oil may have caused the spring to stick in compressed? So after cleaning oiling and checking things over I assembled everything loosly and tried it shifting was smooth (it had been harder before this) all was well so I tightened everything down... and then, it was very hard to pull the throttle back to neutral and I couldn't pull the throttle back to reverse. Hmmm. So I inspected the Eccentric Piston #54 and the pin #64, as well as the housing #53. The pin was a little bent and its hole in the piston was ovaled (hard shifting) So then I looked a little closer at the drive gear sets. It looks as though the dog jammed on them as they have small guages on them, so I should probably replace those as well. All of this is fine, I was only hoping I would have made it to fall first. Next problem I found, while I was inspecting and testing I grabbed the prop to spin it by hand to watch the gearsets and the prop spun on the hub. I'm pretty sure that shouldn't happen. Is this something I can fix or does it need to be done by someone with proper equipment?
Next question, does anyone have a price list for, well basically for everything listed on the upper gearcase parts breakdown?
Once again, thank you for your patience and assistance. :boggled:

SideshowRob
08-13-2007, 08:51 PM
What is the used Volvo outdrive parts market like? We have no Volvo dealer here, and this is not a Volvo town, parts are very scarse here. Also if anyone has an opinion on my prop issue from above, feel free to educate me, whatever the answer.
As for this season, I'm not sure I'll get the boat back in the water. I know the issue isn't too serious, but I'm short on time, and want things done right, so I won't rush.

Thank you as always.

Ed Donnelly
08-13-2007, 09:13 PM
Rob; Great place for new and used parts, just down the road from you..
Advanced Marine
250 287 9130
Campball River B.C.
Well maybe 3,000 miles is a little more than just down the Rd.:canada:...Ed

vonkamp
08-13-2007, 09:47 PM
You have spun the hub on your prop. A prop shop can rehub it for you in the $50 range.

Also for volvo parts- eBay. lots of stuff shows up there and sometimes nobody bids on it and then the same thing shows up and the bidding goes crazy. I got a transom shield for $10.00. A couple weeks later, one sold for $297.00. Both in the same condition. :confused: