PDA

View Full Version : Bad Bearing in Alternator Question

bgiles
07-29-2007, 10:11 AM
Hi Guys, I am trying to isolate a noise coming from the engine, sounds like the bearings have gone in the alternator. Ran the engine on the muffs when I got home last night and it certainly sounds like the alternator but it's hard to say for sure.
Question - Do we feel that I will damage anything if I remove only the belt to isolate the alternator to see if that is indeed the problem. It's a 5.0 FI Volvo\Ford that has a seperate belt for the alternator. In fact, the belt broke on me last year and I was able to make it back with no problem. I'm thinking it will be safe as long as I don't remove any wiring etc.
Thanks in Advance
Donzi Want To Be (Four Winns U17)
Bruce

MOP
07-29-2007, 10:36 AM
You will not hurt anything removing the belt, but if it is the circ pump then you will not have found the cause! Take a "BIG" screw driver with the engine running up it against the housing then put your ear to the handle press it tightly then do the same to the circ pump. One or the other should be the culprit!

Phil

Ooops! Separate belt missed that!!!

bgiles
07-29-2007, 11:06 AM
Thanks Phil for the reassurance, never hurts to ask I say. It's a somewhat straight forward do it yourself job, of course there will be that one difficult bolt that you have to scramble with but that goes with the territory.

Thanks

Bruce

bgiles
07-29-2007, 08:03 PM
Hi Guys, not that anyone was going to lose any sleep over it, but it did turn out to be the alternator. Hooked it back up to the truck and pulled it out of the garage, ran it on the muffs without the alternator belt and "presto" the shreaking noise had disappeared. Removed the alternator in about 30 minutes or so - not too bad - as usual next to no room to work but got it done.

Will order another one tomorrow, I doubt they stock that kind of thing, probably receive it in a day or two.

Again Thanks for the Assistance

Bruce

Cuda
07-29-2007, 10:39 PM
You should be able to take to an alternator/starter shop and have it rebuilt for a whole lot less money. Overtightening the belt will make the bearings wear out faster. A lot of people overtighten the belt when it starts squeaking, when in reality, it needs a new belt because the old belt has worn to the bottom of the V in the pulley.