PDA

View Full Version : What do you know about Stern Drive Engineering?

gold-n-rod
07-28-2007, 12:17 PM
Supposedly, SEI makes their own Alpha replacements. These are brand new, cost less than $1500 for a complete drive, and come with a 3 year warranty. The warrantly supposedly covers any peril...... wear, impact, loss of oil, yada, yada, yada.

My boat doctor says he's got a charter captain running one now going on 2 seasons and it gets treated rough.

It looks just like a Merc, but the stickers are different. They are new, not remanufactured.

Anyone have one? Anyone know someone who does? Anyone hear of their "warranty" integrity?

Cuda
07-28-2007, 12:26 PM
Gcarter had one on his Minx. It should come up on a search with SE drives.

gcarter
07-28-2007, 05:21 PM
Yep.....about two years ago and still going!!!!!
New owner still has it.
At the time I bought it, they offered a one year warranty. The only complaint I had was it was initially noisy, but the whine went away in about 10 hours.
Word is they will soon be offering a basic Bravo One. Don't know when.

tmdog
07-28-2007, 06:21 PM
I've had my SEI for about 2 yrs.now. It has been run hard but not abused. I did have the vibration that lasted for 10 or so hrs. By all means run a drive shower on any brand of Alpha. Long story but drive survived. Bought M/C decals off E-Bay and applied them and drive looks almost stock. Would I buy another SEI drive, you bet. I bought both upper and lower.

Mr X
07-28-2007, 09:27 PM
I know Speedracer went thru 3 of them in less that 1 month early last year.
Maybe he will chime in.....

tmdog
07-29-2007, 07:44 AM
[QUOTE=Mr X;418961]I know Speedracer went thru 3 of them in less that 1 month early last year.

I'd love to hear how that happened.:confused:

gcarter
07-29-2007, 07:51 AM
As I understand it, they had a batch of lowers that had the oil hole in the wrong place so that they leaked, i.e., the oil hole didn't line up inside the O-ring.

LKSD
07-30-2007, 09:25 AM
We have sold & installed quite a few of these with good results so far over the last few years.. ;) Jamie / Lakeside