PDA

View Full Version : Starboard head off, everything looks great.....

Donziweasel
07-27-2007, 10:48 AM
Got it off this morning, amazing how fast the second one goes. Everything looked great, cylinders, valves, etc.....

Got a quick question. Do you think the stock valve springs will be alright with my comp 264 cam or should I use the duals comp recommends?

mrfixxall
07-27-2007, 11:07 AM
Got it off this morning, amazing how fast the second one goes. Everything looked great, cylinders, valves, etc.....
Got a quick question. Do you think the stock valve springs will be alright with my comp 264 cam or should I use the duals comp recommends?

Dual valve springs is what they reccomend,,you may have to have the heads machined to fit the bigger springs..did you order the GM vortech performance heads? they have a bigger intake runner 215cc to be exact and i believe they are machiner for the bigger valve springs..Also the vortech head is limited to .420 of valve lift,check your cam specs..with the larger valve springs your limited to .525 lift..

mrfixxall
07-27-2007, 11:43 AM
vortec bowtie heads are the ones your looking for. the standard ones have pressed in studs and require a self aleigning stamped rocker arm..

Small port vortec #25534421
*complete assembled
*185cc intake port
*65cc exhauet port
large port votec #25534431
*215cc intake port
*84cc exhaust port
*D shaped exhaust port

Both heade have a 66cc combustion chamber.

Rootsy
07-27-2007, 11:59 AM
the 264 card specs the 986 spring which is a double spring w/ damper... stock GM vortec cylinder heads require machining of the valve guide to accept a PC valve guide seal in order to clear the inner spring as well as to acommodate the valve lift of the 264 camshaft..

you can purchase 170 cc vortec heads pre-machined from I believe Dickey - Scoggins...

stock vortec heads are only good to about .480 gross valve lift before entering coil bind territory...

Traveler
07-31-2007, 07:09 PM
No hi-jack intended but has anyone else used the bowtie vortecs? The raised D-shaped ports made exhaust manifold mounting tough. Just curious how others may have dealt with this. My solution was hand fitting a set of RM manifolds.