PDA

View Full Version : New trim pump motor with no power

Jeff V
07-27-2007, 07:30 AM
I repowered my 22, went to a higher pitch prop and my outdrive trim pump which worked fine before, now didn't have the power to raise the drive after about 20 mph. If I back off the throttle it will raise.
I replaced the pump motor with a new Mercury pump thinking it was a valve issue and had the same problem with the new pump. Works fine out of water but not under load. I then replaced the fuseable link thinking that might be restricting current. No change. I can also hear the pump motor working while it's under load. I know of configurations with much more hp than I have using the same pump.

This weekend I'm going to run a large jumper wire direct from the battery to the blue wire on the pump and see what happens under load. If that doesn't do anything I'll run a ground jumper wire also.
My connections look good, the wire to the pump is the stock wire and looks sized properly and looks good. Are there any issues I'm not seeing here as it seems to me that it should be a low current problem not a hydraulic problem?

Jeff

MOP
07-27-2007, 08:16 AM
I may be in the shifter wiring that is fairly common if there was not enough slack left by the installer.

Phil

Jeff V
07-27-2007, 09:20 AM
I looked at the shifter wiring also, thinking the same thing and it was OK.

J

mrfixxall
07-27-2007, 10:22 AM
You have a internal problem in the pump itself,,trim up leave it and see if it drops under power if it doen then you probably either have a weak pump or a seal is bad..

Jeff V
08-23-2007, 08:01 AM
I've been super busy the last month but wanted to post the solution to the drive trim pump problem as it was something I didn't realize nor did anyone else mention it. In the process of running a direct run from the battery to the pump motor and running the drive trim pump under load, I realized that the blue and green wires running to the pump were wired backwards. Power to the blue wire lowered the drive and power to the green raised it. I switched the wires AND switched the hydraulic connections at the pump and guess what... it worked fine under load. Apparently the valve body has different circuits, the up section of the valve body obviously has more power than the down circuit. Before I repowered it apparently wasn't an issue, but with the extra torque it was.

I'm still getting the boat dialed in, playing with props, getting seat time and, after thoroughly smoking the outdrive and rebuilding with a heavier gear set and tower, am closer to playing with a full deck.

Jeff