PDA

View Full Version : 1983 22 Classic Progress. (large Pics!)

harbormaster
07-26-2007, 07:53 PM
Well,

I got the 22 back from the Glass guy.

The back of the transom very distorted by the refrigerator that was hanging off the back. After some more glass work I took the hatch down and had some paint mixed up and repainted the transom.(see photos).

I was given a freebie Bravo Transom Assembly that was found in the all weeds and dirt behind the building. It look so BAD that I wanted to turn it down but took it anyway.

Doug Welch, our drive and transom guy dis-assembled it and I bead blasted all the components. It was structurally sound but had alot of corrosion pitting.
all components were sprayed with a concept 9200 primer with the consistency of mud and sanded. They were then sprayed with a gloss black concept 9200 eurathane paint. It is so shiny, it looks wet. Doug then re-assembled the transom assembled with a new upper pin, gimbal bearing, and numerous new components.

Yesterday I got out the Mercruiser transom template and started measuring.
I had done plenty of research with our members on where the X dimension should be. I put it at 16.5 inches. Drilling the first hole in that shiny new transom was very tough. Like performing surgery on your own dog.

I drilled the hole and bolted on the template. I then made numerous mesurements, tighted down the template, drilled all the holes, and traced out the hole to cut.
WHEW!!

I then proceed to cut out the transom hole with a hole saw. The rule of thumb here is take your time and don't rush it.

After cutting out the hole and cleaning it up, I then got out the WEST SYTEM epoxy. I put 2 coats on the bare wood to encapsulate it to eliminate any chance of future rot.

Today I bolted on the transom assembly. This week We will use a friend's plastic BIGBLOCK mockup Block to determine the location of the motor mounts.

I have also posted a photo of the engine. It is completely assembled and ready for paint. It has a few internal "modifications". I am looking to hit the water in a couple of weeks. Many Thanks To Dewane Bomar, and Lil' Bill Reeves for their help with the engine.

gcarter
07-26-2007, 08:14 PM
I'm having Minx flashbacks!!!!!!!:eek!:

It looks very very good Scot.

Cuda
07-26-2007, 08:53 PM
Looks great Scot.

Especially that transparent engine. :)

harbormaster
07-26-2007, 09:08 PM
oops. Sorry, Long day...

Here it is.

mrfixxall
07-27-2007, 10:33 AM
Whats up with the head bolts? arp and ?, did you run out of arp bolts?

Donziweasel
07-27-2007, 10:45 AM
Looks great, I take it thru hull is coming?

harbormaster
07-27-2007, 04:07 PM
Whats up with the head bolts? arp and ?, did you run out of arp bolts?

You make do with what you got.
I am doing this whole job on a shoestring budget.
The truth is that I really can't afford to do this but I am doing it anyway...

Cuda
07-27-2007, 04:22 PM
I know that feeling. I can't afford to do what I'm doing now, but it's an addiction. Sometime I wish I'd have taken up smoking crack instead. It HAS to be a cheaper sport. :(

drew0982
07-27-2007, 04:30 PM
Looks great!

mrfixxall
07-27-2007, 05:41 PM

Well good luck to ya! Hope everything works out for you..

BigGrizzly
07-27-2007, 05:51 PM
A great job and don't worry about the bolts. One of the best racing enginesw I built with a hodgpodge of parts. You are going to love it!!!

MOP
07-27-2007, 07:53 PM
Coming along great, will we soon be seeing an avatar with flaming pipes slightly larger then the last?

Barry Eller
07-27-2007, 08:18 PM
Looks Super! You're gonna love not hearing that eggbeater and making some "Real Noise"! You just may get to ride your boat before I do, with the dumb mistakes I'm making! :bonk:

Team Jefe
07-30-2007, 07:54 AM
Well,
I got the 22 back from the Glass guy.
The back of the transom very distorted by the refrigerator that was hanging off the back. .

No Love for the 'Rude:confused:

I tell ya:bonk:

Still, it's coming along great.....I may have to "reposess" it after you get finished. I mean serously Scot, if you get the thing running great....you'll have to go get some other project. YOU can't stand to have a nice...RUNNING...boat:wink:

BigGrizzly
07-30-2007, 08:01 AM
Don't mind him Scott what do you expect from a guy that drives a 30 foot rough water bass boat.

DonziChris
07-30-2007, 08:27 PM
Hi scot, Nice talking to you the other night. Your 22 is coming along nicely. Bet you can't wait to get it in the water. Heard back on the guages, Thanks for all your help, Take care Chris

Team Jefe
07-31-2007, 08:25 PM
Don't mind him Scott what do you expect from a guy that drives a 30 foot rough water bass boat.

Bass Boat?, Bass Boat....Shot thru the heart:bonk:....

.....of course I'm LMAO, while the blood is spurting out of my chest:yes:

farmer tx
07-31-2007, 08:43 PM
Scot, Is that BAD BOY going to be ready for the PK run?:boat: