PDA

View Full Version : Head Removal and Exhaust manifold

Donziweasel
07-26-2007, 10:12 AM
Since I am removing my heads with the engine in the boat, what is the easiest way to secure to exhaust manifolds so they do not crush the plugs? Thanks.... Better mood today as at least I know the problem....:)

BERTRAM BOY
07-26-2007, 10:39 AM
Remove 2 bolts from each exhaust manifold. Replace those 2 bolts with some threaded rod of the same diameter as the bolt (about 8-10 inches long). After you back out the rest of the bolts, you should be able to slide the manifold right off. It's easier to do without the riser off though.

Donziweasel
07-26-2007, 12:04 PM
How much Poodle?:wink::)

BUIZILLA
07-26-2007, 12:33 PM
why don't you just take the plugs out FIRST... ya can't patch a tire without letting the air out...

98shovel
07-26-2007, 01:06 PM
why not take the manifolds and put them on the bench so thier out of the way ,then when ya put it back together it will be a bettrer job since u wont have to fight them

Donziweasel
07-26-2007, 01:08 PM
With my setup, it was easier to leave the plugs in. A few of them I can not even get to with the exhaust manifold in the way. No problem though, just used cam straps to hold it up. Port head is off, will do starboard tommorrow.

Rootsy
07-26-2007, 02:10 PM
I used to leave the risers on, sling a strap under the riser and hook to the chainfall and apply slight pressure.. remove the bolts and then lift out of the bilge... works like a charm and saves your nutsack..

mrfixxall
07-26-2007, 02:51 PM
What poodle said,toss them or use them for anchers....hell you may as well let them brake because your going to have to replace them anyways due to how fat it was running...:wink:

gold-n-rod
07-26-2007, 02:54 PM
I used to leave the risers on, sling a strap under the riser and hook to the chainfall and apply slight pressure.. remove the bolts and then lift out of the bilge... works like a charm and saves your nutsack..

Rootsy, you'd better do something about that droopy sac. :eek!:

My GLMs are so light that I can hold them in place with one hand while I thread in the bolts with the other.

Since my manifolds need to come out to R&R the plugs and batteries, this is very handy...... verrrry handy indeed.

Donziweasel
07-26-2007, 04:44 PM
For all those concerened, my sac is fine.:) I just took two small cam straps and looped them over the manifold, then secured to trailer. Took out all the bolts except last one and had one of my mechanics steady the manifold, took out the last bolt and gently released it. Then grabbed the two cam straps and lifted out. Very easy.

My cracked rib started really hurting after the port head, so I am saving the starboard until tommorrow.