PDA

View Full Version : Always wanted a Donzi, now I have one!

m3goblu
07-25-2007, 12:42 PM
I finally got a Donzi this Spring after lusting for one since I was a teenager. It's a '95 Sweet 16 and I've been having a blast! :tongue:

Quick question. How thick is the gel on the '95? I want to bring the red back on the deck and transom. I know it's legendary on the older Donzi's, but what about one from the 90's? Can I wet sand it or do I risk going through?

Thanks!

gold-n-rod
07-25-2007, 01:56 PM
This Spartan will step up, dispite your "goblo" screen name......

1st, welcome to the sickness.

2nd, Tony, another Spartan, posted all you need to know in this thread.

http://www.donzi.net/forums/showthread.php?t=44797

I'm sure he'll answer any questions you might have.

Again, welcome. Where in Michigan are you located and where do you boat?

m3goblu
07-25-2007, 04:46 PM
Thanks for the welcome and Tony's link!

Located in Grand Rapids and boat out of Grand Haven. Trailering up north this weekend to do the chain-of-lakes to cheboygan.

No worries sliding the screen name comment as football is just around the corner. :cool: :tongue:

Donziweasel
07-25-2007, 08:26 PM
Welcome to the madness.

http://www.donzi.net/forums/showthread.php?t=45432&highlight=oxidation

Lenny
07-25-2007, 08:53 PM
All gel should be "similar" in thickness. In the older boats it would pile up in the corners and where gravity permitted when spraying out a mold.

Gel DOES NOT flex like the substrate (the glasswork foundation itself) and that is why, in simple terms, it cracks if too thick. (short of a collision etc etc etc.)

You should be fine to wet sand it, or do a compound job with Finese etc, just do NOT be too gung ho.

The thickness should be "about" 20-23 mils.

Cuda
07-25-2007, 10:17 PM
Try some Aqua Buff 1000 and then 2000, with a high speed buffer. The results are nothing short of amazing. It's about ten bucks a tub.

m3goblu
07-26-2007, 01:44 PM
Thanks guys, that's the info I needed.

The sides waxed out great but the deck and transom need some work. I'll get started on that once it cools off a bit. Last night I installed a grab rail along the back seat base, mounted a fire extinguisher and replaced the blower....starting to make progress on my hit list. Next, is a stereo.

You guys have a great forum and I sure appreciate all the help.

Tony
07-27-2007, 03:22 PM
football is just around the corner. :cool: :tongue:

Convenient of you to mention football, in the wake of about a decade of total MSU basketball dominance! Hockey? Usually about even but this year we went all the way, that was a blast. Plus, hope springs eternal as our gridders have a new coach...that always keeps us conversationally entertained in E. Lansing.

With all that said...I have no problem with a Wolverine who has a connection, themself or immediate blood, to the stinkin' school. I tire of the legions of wanna-be fans who buy a hat and/or cheap jacket from a gas station, couldn't tell you the name of two streets in A-squared, have no conception of what else the school is about, and are about 2.5 gpa away from entrance requirements...those are the yahoo's I don't do so well with, conversationally.

Anyway, sorry for that, but I think it is well said so I will leave it. I just hope you belong to the first of the above mentioned U-M camps, otherwise it is foot-in-mouth, again, Tony!

Yes, I can talk to you at length about severe oxidation on these boats, and specifically the thickness (and fockin' hardness!) of our gel. Shoot me an e-mail with your cell # and we can talk.

Welcome to the board!

Pismo
07-27-2007, 08:47 PM
Sorry but I found Aquabuff 2000 to be useless. Did not try the 1000 tho.

m3goblu
07-30-2007, 01:00 PM
You can keep your shoes on Tony. I went to school there way back in the day when you could bring a keg into the Big House as long as it had a ticket, Bo ruled and Anthony Carter made all our dreams come true. Those were some pretty good days! :wink:

But there is no way am I going to bring up anything but football. With my memory I can barely remember the fab five and there hasn't been much to cheer about since...:(

Appreciate the offer to talk gel! I'll pm you my info now.

BigGrizzly
07-30-2007, 03:58 PM
Dreams do come true, and this proves it.