PDA

View Full Version : Pulled intake, please take a look at pics.....

Donziweasel
07-25-2007, 10:56 AM
Pulled the intake, first pic is on rear of what looks to be screwed up gasket. Second in water in the front, but I think it was from the water jackets. Does the gasket look screwed in the rear? I don't think it is wise to go any further till I get your opinions. I had to leave last year when I was working on the engine and one of my mechanics/freinds did the intake.

mrfixxall
07-25-2007, 11:09 AM
THATS COMMON,,,THEY ALL COME APART LIKE THAT.. Its because the gasget sticks to the intale..DW now that you have it apart lets see the bottom of the intake,also it would be a good time to install one of thease
http://store.summitracing.com/partdetail.asp?part=MOR%2D25050&autoview=sku

BUIZILLA
07-25-2007, 11:19 AM
DW, the intake was just over torqued, and the bottom of it in the end rail area wasn't perfectly dry when installed, you can see the little pockets in the silicone and thats from a dirty or oily surface.... no biggie.... now inspect every intake port for a vaccum leak at the gasket area...

Donziweasel
07-25-2007, 11:27 AM
Jim, do you think I had a vacuum leak in that area? Man, if so, then I feel like I am finally getting somewhere. Manifold looks really clean- here's a pic of the underside-

Donziweasel
07-25-2007, 11:32 AM
Here are pics of both sides. Don't really see any leaks, other than where it came apart.

BUIZILLA
07-25-2007, 12:00 PM
FOUND IT !!!

weasel, call me

305 592 7070

Cuda
07-25-2007, 12:10 PM
Man, those are some BIG pictures. I have a fast connection, but it took too long to download. I think you need to reinstall the intake, but first put in a oil splash guard to keep the hot oil off the intake manifold. Torque the intake in the proper order, even though it's impossible to get a torque wrench on some of the bolts, a calibrated elbow will work fine. The splash guard is a stock GM part.

Donziweasel
07-25-2007, 12:59 PM
Buizilla may have found the problem. Working on it, but in essence, gaskets do not fit. Will update later.

MOP
07-25-2007, 01:28 PM
Just eye balling the pics it looks like the manifold was not seat square to the surfaces, the angle on those Vortecs you would think they would set in straight, it looks as if a few of the ports were sucking from the crank case. A lot of care and eveness is needed to seat it right, follow the bolt pattern in several steps so as not to pull it down cocked.

Phil

Donziweasel
07-25-2007, 01:38 PM
Through Buizilla, if you look closely, you will see that the gaskets do not match up. If you look at the thin rails between ports, gasket is off center. New ones did the same thing. Also, gasket has different side clearance on each port. It seems that valves are also too tight. Intake was also torqued too tight in some areas and not enough in others, probably did a wrong tightenting sequence. Poor engine..... I will hpefully get it right. Ordered new GM spec gaskets and getting away from Fel-pros. Hopefully will match up better.

mrfixxall
07-25-2007, 01:59 PM
Through Buizilla, if you look closely, you will see that the gaskets do not match up. If you look at the thin rails between ports, gasket is off center. New ones did the same thing. Also, gasket has different side clearance on each port. It seems that valves are also too tight. Intake was also torqued too tight in some areas and not enough in others, probably did a wrong tightenting sequence. Poor engine..... I will hpefully get it right. Ordered new GM spec gaskets and getting away from Fel-pros. Hopefully will match up better.

Yep gm only,,the new ones have steel or alunimum around the holes so you cant over torque them..the intake shouls share the same hole (no rubber between them) in the gasget,,example 1+3 same hole 3+5 same hole ect..also looks from the amount of threads on the rocker studs the rockers a little tight..

Donziweasel
07-25-2007, 02:34 PM
THEY ARE THE WRONG F*&*^%*% CYLINDER HEADS! All this time, money and wasted effort. I am soooo pissed I am not sure what to do. They are the DART version of the GM Vortec! Completely different ports. AGHHHHHHHHH....................................... ..:mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::ma d::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad:

mrfixxall
07-25-2007, 03:56 PM
THEY ARE THE WRONG F*&*^%*% CYLINDER HEADS! All this time, money and wasted effort. I am soooo pissed I am not sure what to do. They are the DART version of the GM Vortec! Completely different ports. AGHHHHHHHHH....................................... ..:mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::ma d::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad:

Dw,,a vortech head is a gm product only and i believe they are the only ones that have the rites to the design...from what i can tell from the pics it looks like you have the gm performance 209cc vortech heads with a 1.550 valve spring package..get the gm gasgets and try again if they dont fit one way flip the gasgets over and try the that way..edit,,,,you need to go to gm and order the 89017465 gasgets,,,their made for those heads and the intake port holes are as big as 2 ports...

mrfixxall
07-25-2007, 04:12 PM
gm part # 89017465 trust me thease are the ones you need..

Donziweasel
07-25-2007, 04:19 PM
Thanks Mike, but they are the wrong heads. Part my fault, part Summitt Racings. Thier website says "Vortec Heads". I did not notice when I ordered that they were Summitt heads, not GM Performance which is what I wanted. The ports are different, plus it is a cheap piece of S*&T head. Summitt does not specify that not only is this thier head, but a dart head at that. If you look closely at the ports, they have a semi-circle on top and the ports are simply a little different. I tried placing new gaskets over them with the same results. Ordered new GM gaskets and heads. Almost a year down the drain of messing with this boat. I could probably make it work, but still not the right head for my application. Pic of new gaskets in place-

RickSE
07-25-2007, 04:55 PM
I only used Mr. Gasket standard nitrile rubber & fiber gaskets with aluminum intake manifolds. These are the grey gaskets w/o sealant around the ports. I buy the small runner gaskets and hand cut the gaskets to match the runners. I seal the gaskets with GM tac sealant around the intake ports and silicone around the water ports. Like the others I also do not use the rubber or cork end gaskets and use silicone.

The ultra seal type gaskets work good with steel intakes but I hate them with aluminum intake manifolds. They always seem to eventually leak, especially with motors that sit without running for extended periods of time.

mrfixxall
07-25-2007, 05:06 PM
I only used Mr. Gasket standard nitrile rubber & fiber gaskets with aluminum intake manifolds. These are the grey gaskets w/o sealant around the ports. I buy the small runner gaskets and hand cut the gaskets to match the runners. I seal the gaskets with GM tac sealant around the intake ports and silicone around the water ports. Like the others I also do not use the rubber or cork end gaskets and use silicone.
The ultra seal type gaskets work good with steel intakes but I hate them with aluminum intake manifolds. They always seem to eventually leak, especially with motors that sit without running for extended periods of time.

Rick for a standard sbc head i agree but thease are vortech style heads and require a differant style gasget..the vortech gasget is alot thicker and are probably twice as thich as the regular sbc gasget..

DW all i see where the water port not rite,,,good luck with the next step..