PDA

View Full Version : Proper torque on Edel intake....

Donziweasel
07-25-2007, 09:38 AM
I am about to re-seal my intake and forgot proper bolt torque. I know I sound retared, but not use to this type of engine. What is the proper torque for an Edelbrock Performer intake.

Rootsy
07-25-2007, 09:47 AM
depends upon type of bolt... for a grade 5 3/8-16 with 2 x thread diameter of engagement shoot for 25 - 30 ft-lb with a calibrated torque wrench and oil for lubricant on threads...

http://www.imperialinc.com/pdf/A_FastenerTorqueCharts.pdf

BUIZILLA
07-25-2007, 09:53 AM
:boggled::boggled::lookaroun:

Donziweasel
07-25-2007, 10:13 AM
Thanks Jamie, haven't gotten a bolt out yet, but head is 1/2. Still marking ingnition.

mrfixxall
07-25-2007, 10:24 AM
Thanks Jamie, haven't gotten a bolt out yet, but head is 1/2. Still marking ingnition.

Dont torque the intake to 25 to 30 ft lbs,,i do them weekly.....gm reccomends 12- 15 ft lbs and make sure you use the proper thread lock/sealer on the bolts or they will loosen up.....peasons their so light on the ft lbs pressure is because the intake gasgets are plastic with o rings around all the ports so if you over touque them they will leak....gm has a new style gasget with metal rings around thew bolt holes to prevent the gasget fron getting crushed..also clean the area where you apply the ultra black in the front and the back of the intake wit hlaquer thinner or non clornated brake cleaner,the serface must be oil free.. put the bead on first and continue the bead up to the intake bolt holes in each corner,, now set the gasgets in place ( they should lock into the little tabs off of the head gasget) now touch up the four corners on the block with more ultra black and let it set up for 5 min like buiz said...now install the bolts with the proped thread lock/sealer on the bolts and touque in a cris cross pattern starting with the inside bolts first....you have to touque the intake bolts several times,,you will see that they will be a little loose after each torque secquence...

good luck