PDA

View Full Version : It's been a while.... And guess what I have a question

SideshowRob
07-24-2007, 04:53 PM
Wow I haven't been on the site for a looong time. Stupid work :mad: As well as computer issues etc...
It gets worse too. July 22/ 2007 was the first time we put the X in the water :bonk: So busy.
Anyways it was bug removal day as the carb has just been rebuilt. Works much better now. Still rough at idle, but I'm also cleaning out some old gas.
SS prop on with new cone (thank you Poodle)
Trim tabs aren't working, but I'm on my way to look at that
Here's my question now, and I'm also about to go check this too.
Volvo 280 outdrive; drive isn't locking onto the bolt when in the down position? Has anyone had this problem? Is there a diagram of the mechanism somewhere I check to make sure I'm not missing something?
If anyone has seen this or has an idea, it may save me a little time.
Thanks in advance.... Hopefully everyone is getting out on the water a little more than me :cool:

Sideshow

maddad
07-25-2007, 06:18 AM
The retaining pawl is a PITA to readjust when damaged. 280 legs are all over the place and cheap or free.
If moving the sleeve on the thrust rod can't get it to work for you, hunt down a leg that works.

MOP
07-25-2007, 06:25 AM
I think you are talking about the reverse lock not holding? First get someone to operate the tilt so you can see if it moves freely and tha pawls fully engage, the can be adjusted up by the yoke that may fix it. If not check to see if the release rod on the left side of the drive in free and not binding, if it is check where it come through the yoke to see if it is sticking there. make sure both spring are in place, if you loose one it will not hold. If you have worked the tilt under power many times the hole where the rod comes through will get a bit closed off with aluminum binding the rod. If all of that seems Ok you have two options replace the pawls or try filing the area where it grabs the pin just enough to stop it from slipping off, not to much or the drive will not kick up if you hit something.

Phil

vonkamp
07-25-2007, 04:02 PM
Here's an IPB that may or may not help.

Good to see you here again Sideshow. Are you going to come out of disguise with the Simpsons movie coming out? :hyper::hyper:

MOP
07-26-2007, 08:07 AM
Vonkamp thanks for posting the mid section! Part# 44 must move freely, drive down it should have no contact up top allowing the pawl to engage, drive up it should push the pawl clear of the pin. If that is Ok then you need to fiddle with the pawl itself.

Phil

SideshowRob
07-26-2007, 06:20 PM
Well after a bit of fiddling and observing how the lock works, I was able to get it to hold. I'm thinking the problem may lie in the motor because I can get it to lock, but it won't unlock, it sounds as though the motor is struggling, so perhaps there isn't enough power to lift the drive off the lock? I haven't looked at the motor yet, for now I have no issue ulocking it manually at the launch. It's time to burn some gas. Trim tabs were a wiring issue, so things are slowly progressing.
Thank you all for the advice.
Unfortunately I cannot change my profile pic at this computer (laptop is down :confused:) DOH!!!!

MOP
07-26-2007, 10:13 PM
When you push the tilt switch the button on the rod is suppose push the lock out of the way of the pin, there should be very little distance from the tip of the rod end when the drive is fully down. Now if that looks Ok then good chance it is the clutch in the tilt assy slipping, that requires a tear down and cleaning and re lubing of the trim assy. The motors are not very powerful they require much power to turn the worm gear. To remove it you need to first remove the shoe on the outside it has a steel clip/washer with the tab bent to retain it, it can still be a bit of a pain to unscrew. The inside the transom is easy, once off you will see it is a simple affair to get apart and back together. Look at # 5 it engages in #6 they have it to protect the motor, when the drive is in the up position and all is setup correctly you can actually jump on the drive and push it down. Hope some of this helps!

Phil