PDA

View Full Version : Any harm in using rams when dry

yeller
07-24-2007, 02:14 PM
I don't have time to finish my hydraulic steering install before I leave on holidays. Everything is mounted out back, just don't have time to install the helm. Is it ok to leave the rams on if there is no oil in them? I could take them off, but then I have to make up some plugs for the oil lines (as they pass through the transom below the waterline).
My concern is the lack of oil will cause premature wear on the seals.

Carl C
07-24-2007, 02:47 PM
I'm not an expert on this but if it were my boat I would not run them dry. Bust your ass and finish the job or take them off for now. JMO

MOP
07-24-2007, 02:59 PM
They normally have a little oil in them from dipping the piston in oil for assembly, I never did and I am sure no one else puts them together dry. play safe put a few drops in each end fitting to much and you will have a mess, note you can not cap the line ends they must be covered with clean cloth held with a rubber band not tape in case a little oil spits out. This is needed to breath/allow motion or you will not be able to turn the wheel very far.

Phil

blackhawk
07-24-2007, 04:16 PM
I don't have time to finish my hydraulic steering install before I leave on holidays. Everything is mounted out back, just don't have time to install the helm. Is it ok to leave the rams on if there is no oil in them? I could take them off, but then I have to make up some plugs for the oil lines (as they pass through the transom below the waterline).
My concern is the lack of oil will cause premature wear on the seals.

The hard part is done! Get that helm in there. :yes:

yeller
07-24-2007, 05:29 PM
Finish the install....finish the install. Damn, didn't any of you guys read the part that says I don't have time. :wink::biggrin.::biggrin.:

I phoned Mike at CP Performance and he said leaving them on would damage the seals.....so off they come.

I'd like to finish it, but the hose fittings they sent me are damaging the hose, so I have to take them to a shop and get the hoses made. The fittings are cutting into the inside of the hose on assembly. I leave tomorrow, so no time to get them done. Was hoping I could leave them on for the bling factor. :cool!:

MOP
07-24-2007, 09:10 PM
My bad thought you were hooked up inside the transom just no helm!!!