PDA

View Full Version : Help! Help! Carburator Woes

sctiberio
07-22-2007, 09:18 PM
Does Anyone Recognise This Problem With My Sweet 16. Idles Fine. At 1100 Rpm It Hesitates And Will Stall Unless You Gun It. If You Gun It It Will Hesitate But Work Through It And Plane Out, But Top End Is Low. It Will Only Go About 39 Mph!

wagspe208
07-22-2007, 10:53 PM
Carb type?
Holleys can be air bleeds. Choke set up properly? Did you make any changes?
Wags

Rootsy
07-23-2007, 06:16 AM
change the plugs lately?

sctiberio
07-23-2007, 07:53 PM
It Is Definetly An Intermitant Problem. The Plugs Were Ok About 4 Hours Ago. It's The Stock 2 Barel Holly Carb, (as Far As I Know!). I've Never Made Any Alterations To It. Today I Had The Problem Starting Out, But After A Half Dozen Times Accelerating From Idle, It Worked Fine.

It Is Definetly Not Bad Gas. It Is Also Definetly Not The Motor Runnung Hot.

sctiberio
07-23-2007, 08:07 PM
By The Way, This Is Old Fart Boat Mechanic's Old Boat, (two Owners Ago). Ashly, If You're There, Do You Know Of Any Modifications?

Also What Do You Mean When You Say Holly's "bleed"? Do You Mean That They Leack Vaccume Somewhere?

wagspe208
07-23-2007, 08:32 PM
The air bleeds are the two screws on the side of the metering block. They help control off idle mixture as it transitions to the main circuit.
Wags

wagspe208
07-23-2007, 08:33 PM
As an inconsistent problem, make sure the float level is correct. Make sure the needle and seat are clean, no sticking.
Wags

mrfixxall
07-23-2007, 08:40 PM
the air bleeds are in the air horn in the carb they are tward the front of the air horn some look like little screw in jets or their pressed in (made of brass) get some carb cleaner and stick the little red tube in the little hole and clean them...if that dont take care of the problen then replace the accellerator pump..

wagspe208
07-23-2007, 10:42 PM
Duh, my bad... that'll teach me not to give short answer again.
Wags
And I doubt if his 2BBL has screw in bleeds. LOL

mrfixxall
07-24-2007, 08:59 AM
Duh, my bad... that'll teach me not to give short answer again.
Wags
And I doubt if his 2BBL has screw in bleeds. LOL

wAGS I DOUBT TOO THAT IT HAS SCREW IN BLEEDS BUT IVE SEEN THE HOLLY 590CFM? WITH THEM FOR THE LATE MODLE ROUNDY ROUND CARS..

MOP
07-24-2007, 12:59 PM
Same carb years back same prob! Turned out to be a small amount of water in the bowl, but surprisingly very little in the seperator. I pulled the bolw and cleaned things up and usde the update blue gaskets, probably worth getting a new gasket and taking a peek inside.

The Old Fart Boat Mechanic!

sctiberio
07-25-2007, 09:11 PM
Thanks, I'll Check Out Both.

I Doubt It's Water In The Bowl As The Problem, When It Does Occur Can Last Quite A While, (10 Or 15 Minutesw Or So).

It Could Be The Pump Jets, But I Do Notice That When The Problem Is Occuring, If I "pump" The Throttle, The Motor Does Surge. So The Pump Is Working, Although Not Necessarily At 100%. This Makes Me Think It's Not Getting Enough Gas.