PDA

View Full Version : New to the board and to Donzi - looking for numbers and guidance

sofla_gofast
07-22-2007, 11:01 AM
I'm looking to by my very first Donzi. A 1987 29 Crossbow to be exact.
If the deal works out (getting his selling number down a bit), I should be flying through Biscayne Bay next weekend.
I was curious though, the owner stated that the Crossbow series was the predecessor to the ZX series which is what I was looking for. Although I do see some similarities on the surface, how do these era boats fare out below decks. (i.e. inherent stringer / transom issues? fuel tank issues?). I looked over the boat very well and can't find anything out of the ordinary for a 20 year old boat. Below deck looks clean and well taken care of, but I'm always cautious of what I can't see.
Also, with the twin 454's, what sort of numbers am I looking at? The owner states MPH's are easily in the 60's but I not all too sure of that.. There is no fuel flow meter attached so he can't provide accurate GPH/MPH readings. Anyone care to share their numbers on a similar rig?
Any help or guidance would be greatly appreciated.
Again, I hope this works out and I'm looking forward to being an active member on the board.
Thanks in advance.
Attached a few pics of her below.. I CAN'T WAIT !!
http://seeyouonawave.com/donzi/001.jpg
http://seeyouonawave.com/donzi/005_t.jpg

jdsdls
07-23-2007, 11:41 AM
Well if it an 86 or 87 and has 454 check the drives pprobalby has the Alpha drive and due a search on the board for the 454/ alpha combo.
It is a completey different hull then a ZX they have Steps in them.
Have it surveyed check the stringers 20 years of Salt water can add up.
Overall they are a nice boat I had a Z-21.

As far as fuel costs I would guess it will burn about 25-35 gallons per hour at a cruise speed.

Donzigo
07-28-2007, 09:07 AM
This looks like a great example of a Z-29 to me. It must have been well cared for.

The name "Crossbow", as I understand it, was given to the Z-33, in 1990, when OMC bought the company from the previous owners. The Z-29 was the predesessor to the Z-33, which performed much better with the 454 package. I have owned 2 Z-boats; and, I love the series. Here's a couple of opinions. They are my own and are up for challenge; but, you asked an open question, so I will speak plainly of what I know.

I wouldn't consider using this boat for long, unless it had a new fuel tank...........about $1,000. The original tanks were below present day standards for thickness. They were made in Perry, Florida. Unless this boat was stored inside every day of it's life, it will have fuel tank issues. If you look inside, it looks fine. All of the corrosion is on the bottom, which will be revealed when you take it out.

The 454 was paired with the Alpha drive in 1986/87 and it soon became evident, that the Alpha was a bit lightweight for this engine package and they changed that as new 1987/88 boats were built. The Alpha at that time, came with a 1:30 to 1 gear ratio, which was too low. Most of the first Alphas paired with the big blocks, eventually failed and were replaced with the present day 1:50 to 1 gears. Find out if your's has been changed.

The stringers was made of PT pine and back then, the factory often did not properly dry the wood in the shade before installation. That, with the water intrusion, has casued many of the Z-series boats to have rot problems. Any older boat can have stringer problems. Inspect the stringers with a balled pin hammer by tapping on the bottom of the stringers, bulkheads, gussets, and for sure the transom. I just repowered my Z-33 and had to re-build my transom. It is documented in my threads from a few weeks ago. I just did the work in July - 07. You'd be nuts not to repair a rotten transom.

Mu guess is that you will see speeds of 55 to 60 with this package. The reason for changing to the Z-33, was that the designers couldn't get the speed out of the Z-29 without it porpoising with the 454s. An owner of a Z-29 would be a better resource than me on this issue.

If I can be of further assistance, you may call me at 727-867-7020, in St. Pete, Fl.

I was on a cruise from Miami last week .......... got home yesterday .......... wish I had known.

Richard

gcarter
07-28-2007, 05:36 PM
Trueser's son Matt has one with two new SBC's and Alpha drives. You might PM Trueser about it.

sofla_gofast
08-01-2007, 09:41 AM
Well, to make a long story short, this guy wont come into my price range (15-17k) to work a deal. I'm now looking at a 33crossbow up in NY. She needs some interior work and some surface TLC, but the engines show perfect compression and new fuel tanks in 04. I'm going to have a survey done this time!!:bonk: Since I'm leaving a large deposit on a boat I can't make it up to see until mid-Aug, I think a survey would be the best way to go..
Anyone recommend a good trailer shop around long island? Hate to think what that's going to cost me - but hey, you only live once and you can't take it with you.. Right:confused:

Donzigo
08-02-2007, 07:52 PM
Good luck with your search. I love all Donzis and have no issue with what you buy; but, I really love my Z-33. Heck, I must love her ---------- I put new engines in a 20 year old boat ----------seems like I would gain entrance into the "Excentric Donzi Owner's Club"; but, then again, there are sooooooooo many other people ahead of me when it comes to Donzi excentricity.

37SR
08-03-2007, 01:21 PM
Is that the teal green one in New York?? There is a yellow Z-33 somewhere around Detroit advertised on another forum for $27k, looks like a really nice boat. We are looking to have one sometime before next summer, gotta replace the tow vehicle first:mad:.

Donzigo
08-03-2007, 05:55 PM
David & I just got back from doing a turn around the bay and we finally opened up those new 496HO bad boys I put in Big-D last month-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------all I gotta say is: WOW