PDA

View Full Version : Bravo I Shifting Problems

RedDog
07-22-2007, 10:49 AM
While at AOTH this May I developed erratic shifting problems during the poker run and then by the time of the raft-up it wouldn't shift at all (both forward and reverse). Looking under the hatch I found that a lock nut on the linkage was very loose. After tightening all problems went away.

Now yesterday I ran some friends around Norris Lake for 15 - 20 miles at 3000-4000RPMs. When we returned to the mothership it would not shift at all after I first hit neutral. I fiddled with the linkage for a while but all seemed in order. As I was getting towed back to the ramp (by a pontoon boat :bonk:) I would try and shift it occasionally. It finally went into gear so I dropped the tow line and for the rest of the trip back to the ramp and maneuvering around the docks / power loading onto the trailer it shifted just great.

So what's wrong?

Dr. Dan
07-22-2007, 05:33 PM
:wink:My Shift Cable had a slight untwisting inside the metal cable housing...it effectively acted like a small "Bubble in the Wire/Cable" it would collapse on itself and would not allow definitive shifts... in fact early signs were there the year before... by not allowing the Boat to run WOT.

As far as linkage I can't help you...but when I replaced the Shift Cable to the Drive...all my problems went away.

Running and shift smoothly since.

Good Luck

Doc :smash:

RedDog
07-23-2007, 05:27 AM
I mentioned the distances run yesterday and at AOTH because I wondered if a heat build-up could be related to the problem?

VetteLT193
07-23-2007, 08:02 AM
I just saw this post, and am having similar problems with my Minx / Alpha 1.

I'm really curious if heat has anything to do with shifting...

roadtrip se
07-23-2007, 08:48 AM
It is a wear point betwen the drive and the engine.

If you haven't replaced it, I would bet this is your problem.

Besides kinking up, they can strech after years of use

RedDog
07-23-2007, 09:47 PM
It is a wear point betwen the drive and the engine.
If you haven't replaced it, I would bet this is your problem.
Besides kinking up, they can strech after years of use

Pardon my ignorance - but I assume there is a cable that runs from the throttle control handle to the linkage on the motor and then a second cable that runs from the linkage on the motor through the transom to the drive? And the problem is the one that runs through the transom to the drive?

roadtrip se
07-23-2007, 10:10 PM
Pardon my ignorance - but I assume there is a cable that runs from the throttle control handle to the linkage on the motor and then a second cable that runs from the linkage on the motor through the transom to the drive? And the problem is the one that runs through the transom to the drive?

Transom to drive.

glashole
07-24-2007, 06:56 AM
have you changed the drive oil lately?

RedDog
07-24-2007, 07:06 AM
have you changed the drive oil lately?

At the start of the season - Merc Hi-Pro

RickR
07-24-2007, 01:40 PM
I would try adjusting the shift linkage first.:smash: When adjusting always put slight tension on the cable.
Hot drive oil (gear case) might be creating enough slop to prevent the clutch from engaging.