PDA

View Full Version : Drive Experts, Outdrive Questions for you.

DonCig
07-21-2007, 09:42 AM
I am just about ready to drop my 18 back in the water and I wanted to ask a few questions on outdrives before I start dialing in the drive on the boat.
I have a Bravo 1 XR upper and an IMCO Shorty Lower.
The Bravo 1 XR was initially a 1:36 Drive, but a new 1:50 lower is on its way to me. As I understand it the XR uppers are all the same and you only change the drive ratio in the lower unit.
Can I mount the IMCO 2" shorty that was built for me by IMCO as a 1:65 lower to the XR upper?
Going back to the water with the following combos to see which one will be the final selection:
Blackhawk 1:50 with some reduced diamater props. I have not given up on this drive because it occured to me that my high speed bow steering could have been tab induced. So I raised the tabs to eliminate this variable. I never had this issue at 70 mph, but it definately reared its head at 84 mph.
Bravo 1 1:65 with an IMCO 2" Shorty, I also have a 2" spacer so I can play with it at 2 propshaft dimensions.
Bravo XR with 1:50 drive ratio and a standard XR lower.
Thanks in advance for your advice.

yeller
07-21-2007, 12:30 PM
Interested in your results. Keep us up to date.

BTW: Got your Powell pics in the mail couple days ago....Thanks Don. Haven't had a chance to look at them yet, going to do that today. :beer: