PDA

View Full Version : ever felt an earthquake from a boat?

zelatore
07-20-2007, 12:04 PM
Well, I have now.

About 4:40 this morning I was asleep on my 32 Carver when a 4.2 earthquake hit just a couple miles from me. Normally, unless it's really big, you won't feel anything on a boat. This time it woke me up - felt like some big hand reached down and thumped the boat. Sort of 'BANG - bob, bob, bob'. Sure, I get knocked around worse every day wakes, but this was definatly no wake...the movement was to abrupt.

About the time that was over and I was thinking 'huh...I guess it was a quake' a couple transfomeres at the TV station accross the parking lot from us blew up and started a small fire.

All in all, an interesting morning.

Still, nothing like '89. A buddy of mine was on his 42 Californian when that hit. He said the water level in the harbor suddenly dropped as if the tide had went out a few feet in only seconds. Scared the crap out of a diver working on a boat next to him :eek!:

superhatz
07-20-2007, 09:06 PM
Yikes!

I felt a little one when I was stationed in Guam in the Coast Guard....we were tied to the pier on a 95 footer.

pmreed
07-20-2007, 10:04 PM
Back in 1970 or so, I lost a portable TV and some dishes to an earthquake in Long Beach, CA. I and two other guys off my ship, were renting an apartment while our ship was in the yards. We were shaking pretty good for several seconds, then a few much smaller aftershocks. It sure got my attention!! Never experienced one in the water though.

Phil