PDA

View Full Version : HP 500 refresh

Cuda
07-19-2007, 07:46 PM
It looks like work is finally picking up, so maybe I'll have the extra bucks to start on the HP longblock that I bought just before work went in the sh!tter.

I had planned on just pulling the heads, and installing new springs. Now I'm thinking it's not a whole lot of work to put in a new cam while I'm at it. Without starting a pissing match, what would be the best cam to install? I'm not looking for the last bit of horsepower out of it, reliablility means more to me. Should I just reinstall a new stock HP cam, if so, what cam is it?

I was inspecting the cam today. All the lobes show minimal wear, except on has more wear than the others. Should I replace all the lifters as well, or just the one that is showing wear? I don't plan on running the piss out of this engine. It's going to go in a 22 Donzi Classic, with a Trs drive.

Should I fool with trying to port the heads, or just bolt them back on after a thorough inspection?

Everything else will be stock HP 500, including the Dart intake, Holley 800 carb, and TBIV ignition. The exhaust will be going out Dana exaust, which is already installed on the present 454/330.

mrfixxall
07-19-2007, 08:31 PM
Cuda if your going through all that then i would do a complete freshing up, you have all the time to do it so why not...i would stick with the stock cam its pretty healthy but also replace all the lifters,usually one starts to go then its not long before the rest start showing ware..

i would disassemble the whole motor and just check it out,clean everything have the block zero decked this will bump up the compression 1/2 a point which is good for 40 to 60 hp then have all the pieces hot tanked install new cam bearings and main and rod bearings..just blend the intake and exhaust bowls but dont do a full blown port job because you may raise the cc's on the heads and that will pur your engine into a higher operating range..mabe go to a 2.21 intake valve and that should put you close to 600 dependable hp. on 93 octane..let me knoe if you need a good machine shop, i have a kid in tampa that is real good and he knows his chit..

BUIZILLA
07-19-2007, 08:37 PM
let me knoe if you need a good machine shop, i have a kid in tampa that is real good and he knows his chit.. Scotty is in Tarpon Springs area... if that's who you are referring to.....

Dr. Dan
07-19-2007, 09:07 PM
Scotty is in Tarpon Springs area... if that's who you are referring to.....

Tarpon, Tampa, Tampon....what's the difference... damn Buick Motor Heads!:spongebob:

Good Luck... take some pics along the way....

Doc of Stock Hp 500's

Cuda
07-19-2007, 09:25 PM
Tarpon, Tampa, Tampon....what's the difference... damn Buick Motor Heads!:spongebob:
Good Luck... take some pics along the way....
Doc of Stock Hp 500's
Can I be an honorary Evil Triplets if I get it in the boat?:)

mrfixxall
07-19-2007, 10:01 PM
Scotty is in Tarpon Springs area... if that's who you are referring to.....

Buiz no,,chris nelson, nelson competition engines....727-321-5756..

But he wont be back til next week, hes in chicago with us racing at route 66.

I will be their fri and sun

http://fasteststreetcar.com/event4.php?id=info

Cuda
07-19-2007, 10:37 PM
Buiz no,,chris nelson, nelson competition engines....727-321-5756..
But he wont be back til next week, hes in chicago with us racing at route 66.
I will be their fri and sun
http://fasteststreetcar.com/event4.php?id=info
Is that the same as Nelson Brothers? My buddy, Chuck, had them build him a couple engines. He still swears by them.

Cuda
07-20-2007, 08:12 AM
This is the Nelson Brothers that my buddy uses.

Nelson Brothers Automotive
(727) 531-6421

12253 62nd St # A
Largo, FL 33773

RickSE
07-20-2007, 10:00 AM
The heads may be CNC ported already. I believe the newer EFI's are but not sure on the older HP's. I'd disassemble the heads and check if the runners need blending, especially removal of any casting flashing behind the valves and in the runners. This can make a huge difference in the cylinder head flow. Leave the chambers as cast. Also if their not CNC'd I'd port match the intake runners to the intake manifold.

Otherwise I agree with mrfixxall. If there is minimal wear in the clyinders then just clean it, re-ring & re-bearing it.