PDA

View Full Version : How Much Power Will You REALLY Add Putting Headers On a 496 HO?

Carl C
07-19-2007, 06:04 PM
I keep reading claims of 30 to 100 horsepower just from headers. If this much power is so easy to make then why don't the motors come stock with headers? Does anyone know of a good header that will bolt on to a stock Q&Q plus. Would this be good for 2 mph on top end? Thanks:alligator

blackhawk
07-19-2007, 06:36 PM
On a STOCK 496 I would say 15-20hp for most aftermarket exhaust and a little more for true headers. I think some independant dyno shops were claiming 40hp with the CMI Headers.

But you will also lose 80lbs or so. So, with a 30hp increase and a 80lb decrease you MIGHT see 2mph.

blackhawk
07-19-2007, 06:39 PM
These are from Full Throttle Marine's website.

Carl C
07-19-2007, 07:22 PM
Those charts show an increase of only 15.9 hp over an unmuffled stock HO, pretty disappointing. I can't use CMIs because I've decided to keep the Q&Q for longer cruises. Is there a true header that will let me keep that?

BigGrizzly
07-19-2007, 08:20 PM
Yep that is about it, but fuel economy will benefit too. There is a lot more the dyno doesn't tell you. The weight savings etc. the 502 will benefit. more with exhaust than the 496.

Dr. Dan
07-19-2007, 08:58 PM
Those charts show an increase of only 15.9 hp over an unmuffled stock HO, pretty disappointing. I can't use CMIs because I've decided to keep the Q&Q for longer cruises. Is there a true header that will let me keep that?

:eek!:Carl... I have not heard that you can not use CMI's with the Q/Q, you may not like the final price... but I believe they can be had. Why don't you get ahold of Undertaker... he will give you his most recent experience in "Header Logic" and take it from there. IMO you get what you pay for, if long term you are thinking of doing some sort of performance upgrade to that motor...then a good set of headers will not be a waste of money. But if you are after only 2 mph... I would suggest you get into Prop Testing... its a heck of alot cheaper and could easily net you 2 mph...especially if you have not experimented with alot of diff pitches and configurations.

Johnny Revlon picked up some mph by running a labbed prop, and he is psyched about the gain... we will be doing real world testing at Lake Winni nest week. But my point is... short of a displacement change... a prop might be a better start to your quest...then when its all dialed in...then start the Headers...etc. ...then ya get to get a new prop..all over again.

Doc :wink:

Cuda
07-19-2007, 09:28 PM
I agree with the Good Doctor. If you aren't doing some major mods internally, I can't see justifying the price for headers, and I've seen a LOT more threads on boating boards about leaking headers, than I ever have leaking exhuast manifolds. I think the general consensus on the boating boards (and I read them all) is about 30 horse gain max.

gold-n-rod
07-19-2007, 09:39 PM
My GLM's saved me 100# (OK, I didn't replace one of the dual batteries, but still......). That's equal to a small passenger.

I'm betting that headers on a 496 won't gain you much more, if that. And the GLMs are cheaper by a mile.

Cuda
07-19-2007, 09:54 PM
My GLM's saved me 100# (OK, I didn't replace one of the dual batteries, but still......). That's equal to a small passenger.
I'm betting that headers on a 496 won't gain you much more, if that. And the GLMs are cheaper by a mile.
So are the EMI's for a 496, and I doubt there will be much, if any, difference in performance. You could buy three or four sets of EMI's with the same money. If I'm not mistaken, the 496 comes with aluminum exhaust, so the weight savings would not be there. I've also read the stock 496 exhaust is a pretty good system. Some people remove the turbulators, which is supposed to give an extra ten horses, but opens the engines up for condensation to allow rust around the valves. I could be wrong about the 496 being aluminum.

Cuda
07-19-2007, 09:55 PM
However, if you're just looking for bling, there's not much that can top a set of shiny headers under the hatch. :) That's just a steep price for bling most people never see.:eek!:

Carl C
07-20-2007, 07:23 AM
First of all, I'm not trying to rehash an issue I discussed here a while back. I now realize that I won't get a huge speed increase from bolt-ons. I am thinking of headers and a labbed prop for a consistant speed increase of 3 mph. Any more will be a bonus. I must keep the Q&Q for long shoreline cruises; I cruise over 4,000 rpm, no mufflers and after about a half hour your head starts to hurt from the noise. When on the small lakes or around other boats I let her roar. When idling into a harbor I let her rumble. When cruising I quiet the exhaust and we can actually talk while cruising 65 mph. The stock exhaust is aluminum and I don't expect a weight reduction. I cannot gut the boat for weight saving; I take it off-shore. I don't see any way the CMIs will work with Q&Q; the pipes are too long. Unless there is a second version available. Doc, I will contact Undertaker if he knows about this. Meanwhile if anyone knows of a true quality header that will work with Q&Q I'd be interested in that. Then I'm thinking of a labbed Mirage plus direct from Mercury, up one pitch. Thanks.:alligator

roadtrip se
07-20-2007, 07:28 AM
Carl,

I have been utilizing CMI tails modified for Corsa Q&Q diverters with my CMIs, since 2002. They work just fine. You are welcome to look it over before the MADCOW run.

Carl C
07-20-2007, 08:31 AM
Carl,
I have been utilizing CMI tails modified for Corsa Q&Q diverters with my CMIs, since 2002. They work just fine. You are welcome to look it over before the MADCOW run. I'm very interested in that. Thanks. If for some reason I don't see you there (weather?) I'll be in touch for more info.:)

BUIZILLA
07-20-2007, 08:36 AM
Carl,
I have been utilizing CMI tails modified for Corsa Q&Q diverters with my CMIs, since 2002. They work just fine. You are welcome to look it over before the MADCOW run.
are these open divertors or flapped divertors??

there is a guy on OSO with monumental 500EFI issues with the same setup and shorty tails and flapped divertors....

undertaker
07-20-2007, 08:37 AM
Well since my name was mentioned a few times in this thread I will give you my two cents.......as you all know I installed the new Dana Marine 496 exhaust had a few gremilins at first, and NO support from Dana Marine but now she runs pretty strong, I went up to a 26P Turbo TXP prop from a 25 Turbo gained about 2 mph still need to test a few more props, (can run a solid 75-76 GPS mph all day) BUT I have a whole lot more midrange torgue. The Dana's have the bling factor and are priced reasonable and they will hook up with your quick & quiet.........BUT if I had to do it all over again, I would have bit the bullet and went with the CMI'S they have BLING, and are a true header, and have had very few gremlins with them, they are not cheap but like Doc said you get what you pay for.
Carl CMI'S will match up with your Q&Q you need to purchase a additional kit to have them match up with you Q&Q.

Cost CMI = about 6000 installed

Dana = about 4000 installed

Carl if ya want to talk anymore about exhaust shoot me a PM or feel free to give me a call on my cell 484-614-7311....

blackhawk
07-20-2007, 08:47 AM
Cuda brought up a good point, I believe the stock 496 manifolds are aluminum.

The exhaust tested at Full Throttle was the Dana manifolds with Vortex risers. CMIs will give you more, but get your wallet out. I think you can get the Danas for under $2500 with the Vortex risers. The CMIs are closer to $4k.

undertaker
07-20-2007, 08:56 AM
My stock manifolds were aluminum....so really no weight savings... with my Dana's

Dana exhaust installed on other boats have had great top speed gains from other posts on other sites, but on a MY 22 classic what I noticed the most was the midrange torgue, motor feels a lot stronger in that area.....:)

Undertaker:pimp:

Carl C
07-20-2007, 09:29 AM
I just talked with Donnie at Offshore Performance Specialties and was quoted $4,650 for CMI kit with Corsa diverters for the Q&Q. I'm thinking this could be money well spent. I appreciate all of the info and especially Todd pointing out that he runs CMIs with Corsa diverters. I did not knbow about that.:)

undertaker
07-20-2007, 09:44 AM
Carl that is a great price for the CMI'S with the Q&Q kit....I would jump on that.... I was told install time with the CMI'S is a full 8 hr day...good luck keep us posted...and again feel free to pm or call me if ya have any questions.

Undertaker:)

Carl C
07-20-2007, 10:51 AM
Carl that is a great price for the CMI'S with the Q&Q kit....I would jump on that.... I was told install time with the CMI'S is a full 8 hr day...good luck keep us posted...and again feel free to pm or call me if ya have any questions.
Undertaker:)Done deal!!! Total price $4,650 plus shipping from Florida! They should go out today so I should have 'em next week! I'll get them on and then address the prop issue. Stay tuned for updates!:yippie::uzi:

RedDog
07-20-2007, 10:53 AM
Done deal!!! Total price $4,650 plus shipping from Florida! They should go out today so I should have 'em next week! I'll get them on and then address the prop issue. Stay tuned for updates!:yippie::uzi:

Is it like waiting on Christmas morning as a kid?

I'm envious :wink:

undertaker
07-20-2007, 11:57 AM
Done deal!!! Total price $4,650 plus shipping from Florida! They should go out today so I should have 'em next week! I'll get them on and then address the prop issue. Stay tuned for updates!:yippie::uzi:

VERY NICE!!!!:propeller::propeller::propeller:

.......are you doing the install yourself???

Carl C
07-20-2007, 12:44 PM
Thanks guys, yes I'll put them on. I worked on cars for years so have lots of tools. I won't have time next week but they will be on the following week! They should add a couple mph:crossfing: and will dress up the motor nicely. Now to get rid of that cheesy plastic motor cover..........Maybe copy Doc's battery install...........

Dr. Dan
07-20-2007, 10:17 PM
Thanks guys, yes I'll put them on. I worked on cars for years so have lots of tools. I won't have time next week but they will be on the following week! They should add a couple mph:crossfing: and will dress up the motor nicely. Now to get rid of that cheesy plastic motor cover..........Maybe copy Doc's battery install...........

:wink:Carl... I purchased my CMI's from Donny.... he took good care of me...couple of glitches on the Custom Tails...but he made it more than right in the end.

Also...my boat came with a shelf installed from the factory in front of the engine, when I bought the boat the very first items I purchased was a Battery Switch and the Dual Battery. I would warn you that there is no clearence in the front ...and it makes working in that area tough.

I am actually going to move them eventually off to either side....but still near the bulkhead, this will give me alot more clearence to work on the front of the engine or under it for that matter.

Good Luck, I love my CMI's .... if done correctly I think you will be very happy! Take lots of pics... there are alot of curious Donzi Owners out there.

Doc

LKSD
07-21-2007, 01:20 AM
Carl congrats on the Cmi.. That was a good $$.. If you are mechanically savvy you should be able to put them on, it's just a pain in the A$$ and take some time on the 496's especially trying to work on one in a 22c where it is tight to get at some stuff.. :) Jamie / Lakeside

Carl C
07-21-2007, 06:47 AM
:wink:Carl... I purchased my CMI's from Donny.... my boat came with a shelf installed from the factory in front of the engine, when I bought the boat the very first items I purchased was a Battery Switch and the Dual Battery. I would warn you that there is no clearence in the front ...and it makes working in that area tough.
I am actually going to move them eventually off to either side I appreciate that info. I thought you put them there to lower and center the weight. I already have duals.......hmmmm..maybe some yellow billet battery boxes. Also note that I did not buy them from Teague due to the way they misrepresent them with claims of 60 hp and 6 mph!:toiletpap

If you are mechanically savvy you should be able to put them on, it's just a pain in the A$$ and take some time on the 496's especially trying to work on one in a 22c where it is tight I'm just thin enough to crawl into the engine "room"; now getting out's another thing. Almost got stuck in there a couple times!:eek!:

LKSD
07-21-2007, 09:04 AM
I'm just thin enough to crawl into the engine "room"; now getting out's another thing. Almost got stuck in there a couple times!:eek!:

Lucky you.. :) My phat azzz wont fit down there anymore, thus one of the other reasons for the zx for us.. I do miss the 22c though, I wish I could have kept both..:yes: :) Jamie / Lakeside..

Dr. Dan
07-21-2007, 09:04 AM
I appreciate that info. I thought you put them there to lower and center the weight. I already have duals.......hmmmm..maybe some yellow billet battery boxes. Also note that I did not buy them from Teague due to the way they misrepresent them with claims of 60 hp and 6 mph!:toiletpap
I'm just thin enough to crawl into the engine "room"; now getting out's another thing. Almost got stuck in there a couple times!:eek!:

:bonk:Carl , mine had one battery on that shelf originally parallel to the Bulkhead, when I added the 2nd I chose to orient them the way they are now, the Boxes were from Eddie Marine, who are terrific to work with. I also have had very good service from Teague. There are alot of good aftermarket shops... sometimes ya have issues... sometimes they are manufacturer related... other times they are related to bonehead Service or Sales Personnel. Stuff happens... its how they deal with the issues that are truly important, sometimes in the process ya run into people who are less than ethical and that is unfortunate.

Good Luck with the install....

Doc of Diplomatic Aftermarket Confluence :cool!:

undertaker
07-21-2007, 09:19 AM
Carl my battery boxes are Eddie Marine also....Red of course:):):)... I know you are budgeting for this but most likely you will need to upgrade prop right away because with the new exhaust you will be on the rev limiter hard, I was with my Dana's.

Again good luck with the new exhaust and post many pics....:yes::yes:

Undertaker:cool:

Carl C
07-21-2007, 06:34 PM
Carl my battery boxes are Eddie Marine also....Red of course:):):)... I know you are budgeting for this but most likely you will need to upgrade prop right away because with the new exhaust you will be on the rev limiter hard The prop is in the budget, the bling may have to wait. I'm still under 5,000 rpm on my very best runs of 75.5. At a normal max of 73.5 I'm about 4,850. I will be happy if this puts me on the limiter. Now running 25p Mirage +. Thinking 26p labbed Mirage + from Mercury and getting the rpms up over 5,000. Isn't the limiter at 5,100? Is there a better top end prop? A really fast (85) 22 on my lake runs a 4 blade cleaver. Also, Bob Teague's reputation is unimpeachable but he promises 4-5 mph on a 25' Shockwave and his ad claims almost 60 hp. Let's just say he's a little creative and ambitious in his marketing.

undertaker
07-22-2007, 08:28 AM
IMO on these 496HO motors you do not what to run them above 5000 RPM if you do not have to why work the motor hard when it is not necessary IMO, yes the limiter is 5150 but IMO you what to be around 4800-4900RPM with new prop.... with my exhaust I turned my 25P Turbo hard on the limiter it actually made the warning buzzer come on, tried a 27P TXP could only turn it 4600 72MPH, I am now running a 26P TXP at 4900 76 MPH GPS (light load).

Since you like the mirage+ prop I would try a 27P mirage, Jaime wanted me to try one on my boat BUT I do not like the mirage+ on MY boat so I stayed with the TXP, would like to try turbos 4 blade Fusion prop and see how that runs on my boat.....:)

As I am sure you know you need to try props and see what works best for you...keep us posted:):):)

BigGrizzly
07-22-2007, 10:12 AM
I run over 85 with a 29 TXP, I also don't like the M+ and I do extensive prop testing. In my case I tested them on the same day within 20 minutes of each other. I have done same tests on other boats as well, on some hulls they work great on others the don't. Propping is more than speed, its handling too! I can lab my props and go a little faster, but something else suffers. Besides after 86 mph you use up real estate in a hurry. It happens all the time I put one of my props on a boat and bottom end improves and handling improves but it is one or 2 MPH slower than their Labbed prop. For me adding 1 or 2 mph is easier than labbing a prop. I have spent more time propping my boats than most people do building a high performance engine. My results speak for them self. You are correct Teague is good but does advertise creatively well, but no more than any other go faster. At least he can back up some of his claims consistently

undertaker
07-22-2007, 10:15 AM
Grizz what pitch Fusion do you think would work on my boat??? I agree the correct prop is more than just top end you also need the good handling that is way I am running a TXP handles great and still runs pretty strong, the mirage not so..., I am ok with losing 1-2 mph with a good handling prop.....you can always put get more Hp to pick up that 2 mph you lost.

Undertaker

PS Carl not trying to hijack thread:):):):)

BigGrizzly
07-22-2007, 10:27 AM
It is a guess but I think a 26 Fusion would give you about 4800 in calm flat water and about 4800 in rougher water ie. the shore at your dads place. We can work something out. feel free to call. Lets let the prop do the talking.

undertaker
07-22-2007, 06:04 PM
Thanks...I will be in touch after Lake Winni:):):)

Carl C
07-22-2007, 06:26 PM
BigGriz, I don't have the issues with the M+! The boat handles like it's on a rail and I have to TRY to make it porpoise! I don't know of a faster prop and I don't want to change the handling either. How do you get the props to test? Anyway I'll start a new prop thread after I get the headers on and see where my rpms are.

Undertaker, I think I'd like to top out at 5,000 or just a hair more; I won't spend a lot of time there. My cruising speed last week was about 4,200. No hijack, this is just talking now since my question was answered and I'll start a new thread later for prop and rpm opinions.:alligator

roadtrip se
07-22-2007, 09:21 PM
Carl,

The Mirage+ comes in odd sizes in your range, 25, 27, and a 29. No 26. And don't let a prop shop try to talk you into upping or downing pitch. It doesn't work. I have a down-sized Mirage 29, a "28", that makes a nice decoration on my mantel at the lake place. Better to buy the right pitch prop to start with.

I've run all three. The 25 with my 502 package. The 29, heavily labbed with a lot of cup taken out, is my fastest prop with the 500. Also very interesting at top end on occassion. The 27 is dramatically smaller in diameter, 14 3/8, than the 25 and the 29. It is the worst handling prop I have ever tried on the 500-powered boat.

I love the TXP. It jumps pitch in one inch increments. I ran a prototype 26 at AOTH and now own a 28. There is a 25 in the garage to try on the Scorpion 18. Love it. Make sure you request that Precison welds, or otherwise plugs, the ventilation holes shut, if you decide to order one. I would go with a 26 and swap up or down, if needed.

I also really like the Hydro Q4. Try a 24 or 25 and see what you think. I own two for big water boating. I will most likely be running the 28 on Lake Michigan in a few weeks. No lean, great bite, and nice mid-range. It mimics the old cleaver props, somewhat, with the straight edge which is why I think our classics respond well to them. I need to try the Fusion again, but it plowed my nose the one time I tried it at AOTH a few years ago. Of course, so did the Bravo One, but one will be on my doorstep in the next few days to try again.

You are really going to like the CMIs.

Carl C
07-23-2007, 07:06 AM
Todd, thanks for the info. Is the TXP a Turbo? Is it a round ear three blade? Is it available labbed from the factory? I don't think I'll pick up enough rpms to go up two pitch sizes. I don't know how to get these props to test; especially labbed ones.:confused: I should be with you on Lake Michigan 8-12. The CMIs will be on but the prop issue may take a while to figure out. I don't want to shell out a couple grand to find out that I made the wrong choice. I will be having an essentially new (30 hours) 25p M+ for sale soon.

undertaker
07-23-2007, 08:14 AM
Todd, thanks for the info. Is the TXP a Turbo? Is it a round ear three blade? Is it available labbed from the factory? I don't think I'll pick up enough rpms to go up two pitch sizes. I don't know how to get these props to test; especially labbed ones.:confused: I should be with you on Lake Michigan 8-12. The CMIs will be on but the prop issue may take a while to figure out. I don't want to shell out a couple grand to find out that I made the wrong choice. I will be having an essentially new (30 hours) 25p M+ for sale soon.

Carl, Poodle or Griz can hook you up with a TXP (Turbo) give them a call...I run a 26P TXP....and am going to try a 26P Fusion....:)

Undertaker

undertaker
07-23-2007, 08:16 AM
Carl,
The Mirage+ comes in odd sizes in your range, 25, 27, and a 29. No 26. And don't let a prop shop try to talk you into upping or downing pitch. It doesn't work. I have a down-sized Mirage 29, a "28", that makes a nice decoration on my mantel at the lake place. Better to buy the right pitch prop to start with.
I've run all three. The 25 with my 502 package. The 29, heavily labbed with a lot of cup taken out, is my fastest prop with the 500. Also very interesting at top end on occassion. The 27 is dramatically smaller in diameter, 14 3/8, than the 25 and the 29. It is the worst handling prop I have ever tried on the 500-powered boat.
I love the TXP. It jumps pitch in one inch increments. I ran a prototype 26 at AOTH and now own a 28. There is a 25 in the garage to try on the Scorpion 18. Love it. Make sure you request that Precison welds, or otherwise plugs, the ventilation holes shut, if you decide to order one. I would go with a 26 and swap up or down, if needed.
I also really like the Hydro Q4. Try a 24 or 25 and see what you think. I own two for big water boating. I will most likely be running the 28 on Lake Michigan in a few weeks. No lean, great bite, and nice mid-range. It mimics the old cleaver props, somewhat, with the straight edge which is why I think our classics respond well to them. I need to try the Fusion again, but it plowed my nose the one time I tried it at AOTH a few years ago. Of course, so did the Bravo One, but one will be on my doorstep in the next few days to try again.

Todd, plug the ventilation holes shut was is the advantages, on my 26 TXP they are NOT plugged shut......thanks

Undertaker

undertaker
07-23-2007, 08:16 AM
Carl,

Todd, plug the ventilation holes shut what are the advantages, on my 26 TXP they are NOT plugged shut......thanks

Undertaker

roadtrip se
07-23-2007, 08:28 AM

Undertaker answered how to start testing from Precison/Turbo.

The TXP is a round-eared three blade. One other nugget, Undertaker and I agree that the 26 is the place to start.

We need to discuss the merit's of labbing. Wouldn't start out with labbing in mind.

Most prop houses and dealers, including Hydromotive, will allow you to swap props as you narrow into a size from the results of testing. This is within reason. Don't expect to swap something you have had for six months. You are going to make UPS happy during this exercise.

Get those headers on and we will see you in a few weeks.

roadtrip se
07-23-2007, 08:37 AM
Todd, plug the ventilation holes shut was is the advantages, on my 26 TXP they are NOT plugged shut......thanks
Undertaker

Ed, plug them up and try it. You should see more punch out of the hole
and maybe a little better mid-range. If you don't like the results, easy enough to pry the 5200 off.

These things are outboard props and they do better with a little ventilation.
Especially with the shortie, all it did for me was pro-long plane off time.
I see no benefit to a ventilated prop on a Classic hull.

If you like the results, then I think the rubber Merc vent hole plugs should work as a more permanent solution.

undertaker
07-23-2007, 09:21 AM
Thanks will give it a try.....:):):)

BigGrizzly
07-23-2007, 09:45 AM
Actually Precision will charge a restocking fee as will most places. this is due to the fact that people try props than buy from someone else. Being a dealer and tester for Precision and part of their PRO staff, I do work closely with them and they would rather their dealers do the selling. It takes too much time and man power to deal with the public. They have two lines of props. High performance and std props. Not everybody is a High performance dealer. Both Poodle and I are High performance dealers. The HP dealers carry the TXP Fusion OS! and OSll props. At this point I am George's largest stocking dealer. There is something you should know. Merc has a variance in their blades of 1/2 inch. this means that a 25 inch prop can have one or more blades range from 24.5 to 25.5 inches, which is one reason that some are good and some are not on a particular application. Road trip is correct on prop shops adding or decreasing by a inch or so. A prop company will not give their pitch blocks out to dealers. There is also a heat treating process involved. Re pitching is not a good idea. Now for plugging the holes. I do make plugs and use them on occasion, especially on shorty drives. Since the highest sales volume by a long shot is the bass type boat and high performance OB market it doesn't make sense to make a run without holes. On deep drives it makes just a little difference on acceleration. Depending on silent choice or not this speed difference is negligible. Your boat seems to be running as fast and as stable as anyone. In a nut shell If you are happy with you have keep it. after the exhaust etc. than lets play prop the boat.
I make aluminum plugs, however Marine-tex works fine for a little while, some people have even used duct tape for a short tine. Catch 22 has used corks once. If you plug them it won't be any worse than before, regardless, I have never had to remove them. another note for the four stroke OB guys they don't like vent holes.

Dr. Dan
07-23-2007, 10:25 AM
:wink:Griz,

I can take some plugs... the cheap Miami Thrift Shop I got my TXP's through probably sold mine on the Black Market?:spongebob:

I will PM u my address and info and ya can let me know the damages.

Doc :beer:

Carl C
07-23-2007, 11:06 AM
Thanks for the info. Although it's a little early this will give me stuff to think about. I do not want vent holes. I want a factory labbed prop because I have been warned about having them labbed by prop shops. I really didn't want to switch to a Turbo but may have to if there is no 26p M+. Headers on first, then I'll sort this out.:cool:

roadtrip se
07-23-2007, 01:03 PM
Thanks for the info. Although it's a little early this will give me stuff to think about. I do not want vent holes. I want a factory labbed prop because I have been warned about having them labbed by prop shops. I really didn't want to switch to a Turbo but may have to if there is no 26p M+. Headers on first, then I'll sort this out.:cool:

Gee, appears as if I created a bit of a "hole" controversy. As Griz said, it may make no difference to the guys running normal drives. Easiest way to find out is to goop up the holes and go run them.

Carl,

I was going to wait to talk over the labbing concept for when I saw you at the MADCOW rally. Ordering a "factory" labbed prop is kind of like ordering a plate of eggs and the waitress brings you scrambled eggs every time, when you might want your eggs sunny-side up.

Labbing is an art and a science, that a reputable blade shop will perform based on feedback from you running a prop on your boat and you telling them what rpm, handling characteristics, and top end numbers you are looking for. How the heck can you order a "factory" labbed prop when they have no idea what it will do on your boat and what sort of labbing needs to be done?

Griz will tell you that a prop shouldn't be "labbed" if it is properly manufactured in the first place. To some extent, I agree with him. I didn't go the labbed route until AFTER I knew exactly what I wanted out of a specific prop.

As for reputable lab houses. I know of three that people have used here and like. I have personal experience with Matt and Julie at Throttle-Up and have used them for five years for tuning and labbing. Others take their stuff to Brett at BBlades and then of course there is Mercury in Fondulac. As for the others, you normally get what you pay for and the reputation you are worried about.

undertaker
07-23-2007, 02:54 PM
:pimp:
hmm, thought I ordered them with the vent holes plugged..?? Crap, now I have to go check my inventory...
I'll find out if the Merc plugs fit.. If so I'll order them in and send em to ya...

Poodle, sorry but my new TXP has vent holes could you maybe send me some plugs to and put it on Dr. Dans bill:):):):)

Undertaker

Pismo
07-23-2007, 03:42 PM
What hub does a TXP take? Same as a M+? Thanks

Carl C
07-23-2007, 04:20 PM
I was going to wait to talk over the labbing concept for when I saw you at the MADCOW rally. Yes, we'll talk about it then and I will have a better idea of what I need. I will be there Sunday unless the weather forcast is horrible. I'll also want to talk to Mad, prop guru, Poodle.

blackhawk
07-23-2007, 10:40 PM
Yes, we'll talk about it then and I will have a better idea of what I need. I will be there Sunday unless the weather forcast is horrible. I'll also want to talk to Mad, prop guru, Poodle.

Carl good idea! Don't put the cart before the horse! ;)

If you're running 73-74 at 4850 now then using the same prop at 5050 rpm you will pick up 2 mph.

blackhawk
07-23-2007, 10:44 PM
And I respectfully disagree about labbing. There are SO MANY boats out there that there is no way a handful of props can work on all of them.

For example, Brett at BBlades does great work with Bravo props. Just tell him what your boat is doing and what you want it to do. I've talked to a few people that have said he added considerablely more bow lift with less trim.

Just an example. Throttle Up does great work as well.