PDA

View Full Version : Don't drive like a tourist

Donziweasel
07-19-2007, 10:24 AM
Jackson Hole is a town of about 12,000. Over 3.5 million people will come through Jackson this summer alone. This post is for all who might be traveling to or through a tourist town this summer.

We love our tourists as our economy is based on them. We do not like some of the things tourists do, especially driving. When in an unfamilar town, you would think people would be more cautious and aware of the road. Not so for many! Tourists love to stop in the middle of traffic and look at the Tetons or the Elk Antler Arches on the town square or any of the things people like to look at. You should look at these things, just pull off the damn road! We have more accidents due to tourists not looking where they are going, trying to read a map while driving, or simply leaving thier heads at home. We have had 5 pedestrians hit this summer, with the latest a mom and her child in a stroller just yesterday. All were due to tourists not paying attention. Tourists run stop signs they don't see, don't see turn lanes, etc...

We will all be tourists some day, including myself. I simply try and respect the locals and be aware of my driving while in tourist destinations. My biggest pet peeve is that as soon as you leave Jackson city limits, the speed limit goes from 30 to 55. Tourists, due to looking at who knows what, don't see the change and will driver 25-30 mph for miles with a line of traffic 100 cars deep before realizing the change. I have personally dodged more accidents this summer than ever, and it seems that it is just a matter of time before I am tagged, hopefully while not towing the Donzi.

85% of the tourists do a great job and are considerate of watching where they are going, but the 15% of 3.5 million simply don't care. Please be careful when travelling this summer and be especailly considerate of the roads when visiting any tourist destination. Here endeth the lesson. Next lesson, driving mountain passes.

BUIZILLA
07-19-2007, 10:46 AM
85% of the tourists do a great job and are considerate of watching where they are going, but the 15% of 3.5 million simply don't care. that's 525,000 people that don't care.... BIG number of ignorant fool's...:convertib:

chappy
07-19-2007, 11:08 AM
We sometimes use the terms "Tourons" or "Citiots" when such actions warrant it.

Rich

Donziweasel
07-19-2007, 11:15 AM
We actually use worse words than that for tourists. Like I said though, I am not bashing tourists, just some of the things they do. If a tourist stops me and asks me a question, I am the first to welcome them to Jackson and answer thier question with a big ole smile. Just wish they would drive like they drive at home! BTW, don't even get me started on tourists driving like idiots while talking on cell phones!

Carl C
07-19-2007, 01:14 PM
Don't forget that these tourists are pumping big bucks into your community. I travel to Alaska every year to visit my family and I can tell you a thing or two about tourists! First of all the area must be made safe for tourism. There should be many pull-offs and scenic overlooks where folks can stop and take pics or whatever. On some of the scenic roads in Alaska there are signs that say "Delay of 5 or more vehicles unlawful - use pull-offs". In other words if a line of 5 or more cars are behind you then you must speed up or pull into the next pull-off or overlook. Whenever there is a moose or other wildlife on the side of the road you will see cars everywhere and people looking and taking pics. It goes with the territory! Tourists and oil finance Alaska! If you are fortunate enough to live in a beautiful tourist destination then I think you may need to be a little more tolerant or steps like those mentioned above should be implemented. I understand your frustration, just giving another viewpoint.:)

chappy
07-19-2007, 01:25 PM
Don't forget that these tourists are pumping big bucks into your community. I travel to Alaska every year to visit my family and I can tell you a thing or two about tourists! First of all the area must be made safe for tourism. There should be many pull-offs and scenic overlooks where folks can stop and take pics or whatever. On some of the scenic roads in Alaska there are signs that say "Delay of 5 or more vehicles unlawful - use pull-offs". In other words if a line of 5 or more cars are behind you then you must speed up or pull into the next pull-off or overlook. Whenever there is a moose or other wildlife on the side of the road you will see cars everywhere and people looking and taking pics. It goes with the territory! Tourists and oil finance Alaska! If you are fortunate enough to live in a beautiful tourist destination then I think you may need to be a little more tolerant or steps like those mentioned above should be implemented. I understand your frustration, just giving another viewpoint.:)

You may want to re-read the first post, it was directed at a small percentage of tourists, not the whole lot.

Rich

Donziweasel
07-19-2007, 01:27 PM
I feel I am very tolerant as I have not killed a tourist in 13 years.:):bonk: Your are very right about them supporting our community financially Carl. As I stated, I have nothing against tourists and I am the first one to welcome them to our valley. We do have pull outs, but why use them when you can just stop in the middle of the road and block traffic for 5-10 minutes?:):):bonk:

While I am making light of all of this in a way, hitting a mother and her kid in a stroller is what I consider totally wrong. All because he was looking at the mountains, not where the hell he was going!

I think you misunderstood me Carl. I do not dislike tourists and I extend every courtesy to our visitors. Just wish they would pay more attention to how they drive out here and extend us the same courtesy we extend them, as I would if I was in a tourist destination that is not my home.

Carl C
07-19-2007, 01:50 PM
I guess it is a mixed blessing. On to the mountain passes!

gold-n-rod
07-19-2007, 02:15 PM
I'll come out of the closet and identify myself as a card-carrying tourist hater!!!!!

I refuse to kiss a tourist's ass regardless of how much coin s/he has to drop. My experience has been that most (not +/- 15%) could give a rat's ass about anything or anyone other than their own personal gratification. It's all about me, me, me!!!!!!!

Sorry to stereotype, but it seems like the richer they are and the bigger city from which they hail, the worse they are.

The last person to run a stop sign and hit me? A tourist
The last person to park his car on my lawn? A tourist
The last person to inturrupt my consultation with a hardware clerk? A tourist
The last person to completely block the grocery lane while they got "caught up"? A tourist

I've spent my last 20 years living in a "quaint little drinking village with a tourist problem!" Some day, I swear, I'm gonna snap! :eek:

Donziweasel
07-19-2007, 02:24 PM
I was trying to be politically correct, but, Randy, in many ways I agree with you. We love the tourists in June, we like them in July, we are tired of them in August, and there should be a hunting season on them in September. LOL Anyone up for a nice tourist hunt? I want to bag a rich one!

Last Tango
07-19-2007, 02:36 PM
The worst time to be on Florida Highways is in October and April. That is when the Snowbirds migrate.

mrfixxall
07-19-2007, 05:05 PM
I was trying to be politically correct, but, Randy, in many ways I agree with you. We love the tourists in June, we like them in July, we are tired of them in August, and there should be a hunting season on the in September. LOL

DW sounds like you need to start posting your thoughts on some of your busses lol.

need for speed
07-19-2007, 05:20 PM
:eek!: try south FL about DEC 12 ... they are all old and from every place in the U.S

Donziweasel
07-19-2007, 05:31 PM
Mike, you must be trying to get me worked up!:bonk: You want to know about busses, I'll tell you about damn busses! The only thing inherent to all busses, new or used, is that they will break, usually at the worse time. Last count I had 47 vehicles. I ordered a new 100,000.00 mid sized bus and it broke on the way from the manufacturer (Champion). I have had 8 busses break in a day. I don't run crappy equipment either, mostly 2003 and above models.

We can put a man on the moon, split the atom, extract energy from the sun, but we can not make a bus air conditioning system that runs worth a CRAP! Man I would like to punch the owner of Carrier or Transair or any of the others in the mouth!:mad: I run busses worth $500,000.00 AND I CAN NOT GET THE TEMP BELOW 120 DEGREES IN ONE! Oh well, I hope to be sold, retired and collecting various Donzis in a few months. Any takers?

http://rejh.com/properties/6.0232J/index.aspx

Buizilla, only one problem with you statistic, not all are driving, the kids and wife in the RV or car. I am going to try and find out how many vehicles come through Yellowstone and Jackson every summer. Also, if you rent an 40 ft RV and the only thing you have ever driven is a Kia, then PRACTICE, especially backing up, before you head out on your trip. I think this statement speaks for itself.

mrfixxall
07-19-2007, 05:50 PM
Mike, you must be trying to get me worked up!:bonk: You want to know about busses, I'll tell you about damn busses! The only thing inherent to all busses, new or used, is that they will break, usually at the worse time. Last count I had 47 vehicles. I ordered a new 100,000.00 mid sized bus and it broke on the way from the manufacturer (Champion). I have had 8 busses break in a day. I don't run crappy equipment either, mostly 2003 and above models.
We can put a man on the moon, split the atom, extract energy from the sun, but we can not make a bus air conditioning system that runs worth a CRAP! Man I would like to punch the owner of Carrier or Transair or any of the others in the mouth!:mad: I run busses worth $500,000.00 AND I CAN NOT GET THE TEMP BELOW 120 DEGREES IN ONE! Oh well, I hope to be sold, retired and collecting various Donzis in a few months. Any takers?
http://rejh.com/properties/6.0232J/index.aspx

DW ever see the back or the side of busses ( missing people, advertisements ect,,well you can put a slogan on some of your busses like you stated above about how to park and where to park and not to park in the middle of the streets bolcking traffic,,,,no harm ment......

Now about the a/c yes they suck suck suck,,,they expect that little compressor on the engine to run al those evaperators and condensors,,then the electric fans go out and their goes the high side pressures and the warm air from the evaperator.....my soultion go to a rv joint and get a couple heavy duty 12v batterys and then purchase a roof top a/c unit and a ac/dc converter...if that bad boy can cool my 38 foot monoco then it can cool your bus...
mike

goatee
07-19-2007, 06:57 PM
gold-n-rod,, your cracking me up man!!!
so now as a michigander man myself, i have to ask.

do you live in caseville?

gold-n-rod
07-19-2007, 07:19 PM
gold-n-rod,, your cracking me up man!!!
so now as a michigander man myself, i have to ask.
do you live in caseville?

Other coast, other lake, but I'd guess Caseville is just as bad. My experience is with Frankfort, west of Traverse City on Lake Michigan. We draw a hoity-toity crowd, mostly from Chicago, Cleveland, St. Louis and Indy.

I've had a place there since 1987 and lived year-round there for about 10 of them. I'm back to being a part-timer, but my hatred burns on!!!!!!!!!!!!! :mad:

goatee
07-19-2007, 07:26 PM
lmao!!!!!! caseville is a VERY small town right on the tip of the thumb
population mmmmmm maybe 2000. but on the 4th of july and labor day its more like 20,000.

im laughing because my second guess was travese!

gold-n-rod
07-19-2007, 07:46 PM
lmao!!!!!! caseville is a VERY small town right on the tip of the thumb
population mmmmmm maybe 2000. but on the 4th of july and labor day its more like 20,000.
im laughing because my second guess was travese!

Yupper, Frankfort is prolly 1500 year round and five times that in June, July and August.

It used to be a "regular" town. You could go to an auto parts store, buy work boots or gloves, visit several hardware stores, etc. Now, it's all coffee shops, boutiques, fudge shops, surf shops and gourmet ice cream shops. Grrrrr. I hate "fudgies!"

mrfixxall
07-19-2007, 08:14 PM
coffee shops, boutiques, fudge shops, surf shops and gourmet ice cream shops.

This would be a good thing,raises your property values,keeps people employed and most of all it keeps all the locak kids off your back:wink:

gold-n-rod
07-19-2007, 08:52 PM
coffee shops, boutiques, fudge shops, surf shops and gourmet ice cream shops.
This would be a good thing,raises your property values,keeps people employed and most of all it keeps all the locak kids off your back:wink:

Call me old fashioned, but I remember when gas stations, Five & Dimes, drug stores (not Rite Aids), shoe stores, grocery stores, car dealerships (not mega malls), hardware stores (not Home Depots), jewelry stores, diners (not Mickey D's), the Western Auto store, the magazine stand/candy shop, the theatre (not the megaplex), the hobby shop, and etc. would "raise your property values, keep people employed and most of all it keep all the local kids off your back!"

[off soapbox, taking my Geritol]

RickSE
07-20-2007, 10:14 AM
Here's what out of towner's have done to us. First one blew through a red light totalling my wife's 68 Cutalss. Second one blew through a stop sign at 55-MPH doing $18,000 in damages to our 1-year old 2500HD.

I hate tourist here. They clog our streets and resteraunts all summer long and wreck my freakin cars. :mad:

Donziweasel
07-20-2007, 10:30 AM
The only reason I have a kinder attitude towards them is becuase my business services the tourism industry exclusively. Without them I would have no business, literally. If I wasn't involved in the industry, I would probably want to kill every tourist I see!:mad:

Sorry to here about you rig and Cutlass Rick. The truck can be replaced, but man, the Cutlass is another matter. :mad:

When I first moved here from Charleston SC in 1994, Jackson was a town of 6000, not 12,000. Teton County was 15000, not 30,000 like now. Our old Soda and Pharmacy went under as have many other small local businesses. Now we have the Gap, Polo, and other high end stores. The joke around town is that the billionaires are buying out the millionaires. Too bad, Jackson use to be a pretty quiet place.

RickSE
07-20-2007, 11:07 AM
Sorry to here about you rig and Cutlass Rick. The truck can be replaced, but man, the Cutlass is another matter. :mad:...

The Cutalss lived on and went to a new owner thanks to a parts car off the Navajo Reservation and a lot of hard work. Plus it funded the purchase of my wife's replacement car, a 1965 Cutlass Convertible. The truck had to live on since my insurance company would not total it and we still have it today. :mad:

Our biggest influx of people can't really be called tourist. We're so close to Phoenix that we get all kinds of them up here on the weekends since they seem to feel this is their summer and winter playground. I just wish they wouldn't bring their cars up here. I think it would be cool to live in a bike only city or at least have certain parts of the city as no-cars. I've heard one of the Colorado cities encourages this by having loaner bikes scattered throughout the city.

Donziweasel
07-20-2007, 11:59 AM
Was the replacement a 442 or were they not out yet? Memory makes me think the 442 came out in 67, but probably wrong.

BUIZILLA
07-20-2007, 12:01 PM
purty sure it was 1964 they came out, I ran a '65 442 4 speed that had a 330...

RickSE
07-20-2007, 02:33 PM
Was the replacement a 442 or were they not out yet? Memory makes me think the 442 came out in 67, but probably wrong.

No, just a plain Jane 330 Cutlass Convert. We bought it unrestored and I spent 4-years putting it back to original condition. Buizilla is correct, 64' was the first 442 year, but minimal 64's out there.