PDA

View Full Version : Carburator Woes

sctiberio
07-18-2007, 03:03 PM
I finally got my 1991 sweet 16 up and running satisfactorilly after a year and a half. MOP I appreciate all the advice you have offered over the last year and a half. There is a minor carb problem, however.

I discovered a minor hesitation problem at arround 1,100 rpm when accelerating from idle. It is minor and sometimes bairly noticable. Could this problem be the accellerator pump or jet? I do recall the engine backfiring a while back while adjusting the timing. Could this have damaged something?

Also, I had the carb off and noticed that a chamber in the intake manifold to the port side of the carb barrels was full of a fluid that was either a mixture of oil and gas or just old stale gas. The only way for the gas to get into the chamber is between the gasket and the carb spacer/plate where there are some notches in the spacer plate. I don't know if the issues are related.

Lastly, last weekend I accidently ran the gas tank dry. When I finally re-started it, I ran very rough for about ten minutes, but finally cleared up. The minor hesitation problem was still there. I replaced the gas filters as a mater of course. I have a Racor spin on filter in addition to the factory filter and find it hard to believe that anything got past both filters. The Racor has a water bowl on the bottom of it and it was dry.

Any advice would be helpful.

mrfixxall
07-18-2007, 04:04 PM
First which carb are you running?

sctiberio
07-18-2007, 04:10 PM
The Stock Holley 2 Barrel. If you need model No., I'll have to get it off of the carb