PDA

View Full Version : Water Ingress in Cuddy

LSUTIGERS74
07-18-2007, 01:10 PM
I have a 1990 30' Black Widow. When the boat is trailered and it rains, I tend to get a little water coming into the cuddy cabin. This is due to the boat sitting forward just a little bit on the trailer, therefore the rain water will not run out the back bilge plug. In the engine compartment there is a roughly 1" hole located at the front, center bottom just below the engine firewall behind the rear seats. Where does this hole run to? Is it common when a boat sits forward for water to run into the cuddy? Is this a ballast system built into the boat to keep the boat from sinking if it takes on too much water? These all may be stupid questions but it is bugging the hell out of me!!

Any response would be greatly appreciated.

With Regards,
Scott

jdsdls
07-18-2007, 01:15 PM
I beleive there is a 1" PVC pipe that runs under the cockpit to drain the cabin out. If the boat is pitched toward the cabin the bilge water will run down it into the cabin. Some times it gets clogged with sand and junk and does not drain the cabin, use some house wire 12 gauge as a snake and run it down the pipe to clean it. Thats how it was in my Z-21.
I always liked the Black Widow how is it in rough water?

LSUTIGERS74
07-18-2007, 07:57 PM
Thanks for the tip, I am glad it is just a 1" pipe and not a complete resevoir underneath the cockpit. I have seen some one elses black widow that actually appeared to have a bilge hose running through that area. And was wondering if that was for pumping water from another water retaining area.

As for running in rough water, I really have not had it running in too rough of water. The roughest it has been in is 1-2 out in the bay in Destin, FL. Right now it is not running in any rough water b/c I am have a blown stbd engine and am in the process of renovating.

Once again thanks for the info.

Scott

Donzigo
07-19-2007, 09:32 AM
I have had two Z boats. There is a 1 ich PVC pipe running below the fuel cell to the back in the center of the bulkhead. Put a hose in the pipe and turn it on wide open. The water will blow out any debris in the pipe. It usually gets clogged up with carpet lint.

Richard
727-867-7020

joel3078
07-19-2007, 11:05 AM
Walmart and local hardware stores have these. 2-3 bucks as I recall. They work great for clearing out the drain holess in your home AND on your boat. White flat plastic about 2 feet long with barbs on the rod. The barbs pull out hair, leaves, carpet fuzzy, etc. Run this back and forth thru the drain hole a few times and then shoot garden hose thru the drain hole. Cheap ass fix, easy to store, works well.

joel3078
07-19-2007, 11:09 AM
Standard fold over drain plug just happens to fit on the water drain hole in the black widow cabin. The drain hole on mine is just on the inside of the cuddy door on the floor. Put a plug in, keeps stuff out of the hole and keeps water from hull coming up into cabin area. Easy to remove for draining, cleaning, etc. if need be.