PDA

View Full Version : Classic Raceboat Association Donzi Classics Participation

rustnrot
07-18-2007, 11:21 AM
Attention Donzi Classic Owners,

There is a new boat club you may have heard me mention here before, called the Classic Raceboat Association http://www.classicraceboatassoc.com. They were the venue the week before the Mt. Dora Antique Boat Show this past spring '07 in Tavares, FL at Wooten Park on Lake Dora (by boat: on the right as you leave Gilbert Park in Mt. Dora but before the entrance to the Dora Canal).

Mike Yobe, a founding member of CRA and Tom D'Eath (retired Miss Budweiser driver, President of CRA) have decided to add a category to the CRA called "Donzi Classics". What this means is if you come to the show with your Donzi Classic (16', 18', 22') you can show the boat as well as run it on the same racecourse as setup and used by hydros, flatbottoms, Jersey Skiffs and other raceboats. Each class will have their own time slot to run the course. The Donzi Classics will be a separate class and will be on the course together, not intermingled with the other classes. I think this is very exciting news and is a great way to "burn gas and have fun"---CRA's mantra!

Here are some details you need to know.

1. There will be no boat entrance/show fee, however, you must be a CRA member. "One event" memberships will be available for a nominal charge (probably around $10). This applies to the driver and anyone that wants to be a passenger in the boat. Annual memberships are $55 each starting 2008 calender year. $25 for the remainder of 2007.

2. Safety equipment required includes a Coast Guard approved lifejacket, ("hi-impact" skiing type), a helmet, and a kill switch on the boat. Motorcycle helmets are OK. Most all of our Donzis are equipped with kill switches, the only exceptions I can think of being the vintage boats that have never been restored. Passengers must also have a helmet and life jacket as described. Obviously, other safety equipment as required by the Coast Guard, i.e. fire extinguisher, etc. must be present and operable. Each boat will be inspected for compliance.

Two CRA venues are upcoming:

November 9-11, 2007 at Polk City, FL called "Fantasy of Flight". Also in conjunction with classic cars and airplanes.

April 4-6, 2008 at Tavares, FL. This is the Second Annual event in Tavares. This year, however, it will be the week after the Sunnyland Antique Boat Show on Lake Dora (note name change as the Mt. Dora show has now moved to Wooten Park in Tavares, the same place as the CRA will be taking place but a week prior).

The website, http://www.classicraceboatassoc.com has more details of these venues, however, it is not up to date yet--the dates above for the spring CRA event at Tavares-- are as I stated above, not what is shown on the website in March 2008.

I hope to see you there, Tom Lang aka rustnrot

PS, if you need assistance getting or hooking up a kill switch I can help you out.

For more details please email Mike Yobe at yobeslanding@comcast.net. Mike lives in Tavares, FL year 'round and attends the CRA meetings as a founding member.

BUIZILLA
07-18-2007, 01:25 PM
I'm in, i'll try and bring two boats.

JH

why did the woody show move to Wooten??

rustnrot
07-18-2007, 01:41 PM
The reasons the Mt. Dora woody show moved to Tavares are several, but in a nutshell, the city of Mt. Dora CHARGED for police, fire, city services, etc. and recently imposed stricter rules on the show footprint, etc.

Tavares did a great job helping host last year's CRA event and PROVIDED city services at no charge. They are doing the same for the woody show as well as using city funds to redo the boat ramps and buy new docks for the show. Also Wooten Park is larger and easier for vendors to get in/out. In the end, it was a no-brainer to move the woody show there.

Sam
07-19-2007, 08:01 AM
Thanks for the info................great site.

Air 22
07-19-2007, 04:34 PM
I'm in, i'll try and bring two boats.
JH
why did the woody show move to Wooten??

Luck 7 Sand Bagger..You got a dual Donzi trailer.???.:bonk:
2 boats? u bastard...:):cool:

catch 22
07-20-2007, 07:31 PM
CUDAI need a co-pilot. I have a helmet, a lifeline and a kill switch that you could hold on to. What do ya think?:yes::yes::yes::yes:

Big Dog
07-21-2007, 09:27 AM
I run the Jersey skiff side of Classic Raceboat Association and also handle the membership for CRA. If you want to run other non race / demonstration events we have a full year of events on www.speedskiffs.com. Feel free to look over the web especially the calendar of events and skiff outings section. You are welcome to have fun with us and burn gas.
Marty

Cuda
07-23-2007, 08:09 AM
CUDAI need a co-pilot. I have a helmet, a lifeline and a kill switch that you could hold on to. What do ya think?:yes::yes::yes::yes:
I think I have Jim Sr's number here somewhere. I'd feel bad taking his seat. :):eek!:

rustnrot
07-26-2007, 08:37 AM
Gang, the www.classicraceboatassoc.com home page has been revised.
Scroll down and read about the Classic Donzi class. Remember this new class will be available for running this November 9-11, 2007 in Polk City FL at the www.fantasyofflight.com venue!
Also note that both the Mt. Dora woody show and this year's first CRA event will be shown on Comcast Southeast Sports on two different days in August -- I cut and pasted from www.csssports.com website below the first showing:
08-Aug Wed 1:00 PM 1st Annual Bernie & Jane Little Classic Raceboat Regatta from Tavares, FL
08-Aug Wed 1:30 PM Mt. Dora Antique & Classic Boat Festival

DonCig
07-26-2007, 09:52 AM
Very nice job and the event looks to be a great time; I just wish that I was a little closer so that I could participate.

Don

BUIZILLA
07-26-2007, 12:22 PM
I signed up for 2 years today :yes:

rustnrot
07-26-2007, 03:25 PM
Even though this is called Donzi Classic Class I know it goes without mention that the CRA would love to have a Criterion or two there also.

DonCig your screen name brings me to make another comment. While I am not the deciding authority, I would imagine the CRA would have no problem with a 20' Cigarette coming. Remember, these guys are NOT bureaucrats, they just want to have fun like the rest of us.

This whole Donzi Classic Class thing came up when Mike Yobe and I were riding back from the Gold Cup in Detroit. For the first time this year, they had the offshore boats join the hydroplanes at the Gold Cup. And it was a great success. And it was a very good thing to have done for on Saturday it was too windy for any hydro heats. So the offshores ran alot that day and entertained the crowd. So we thought why not Donzi Classics in the CRA for the same reasons? Next thing you know Mike mentioned it to Tom D'eath and a few cell phone calls later, it was a done deal!

I have heard rumor that Tom D'eath is trying to get several Unlimited Hydros there next spring in Tavares. Should be a great event.

rustnrot
09-07-2007, 09:21 AM
The "Roar and Soar" registration November 9-11 has just been posted:
http://www.classicraceboatassoc.com/calendarofevents.html
Note that you have to be a member (still $25 for remainder of year) but there is no registration fee for the show itself once that is paid. Also note free drinks and food for participants.
Gotta love this. On the registration form, after you "total" up all the FREE stuff, it says the cost to participate is:
Spray Water
and Burn Gas

rustnrot
09-12-2007, 08:48 AM
Here is a preliminary flyer that will be put out by the Classic Race Boat Association!

rustnrot
09-13-2007, 05:11 PM
Yes....and this goes for any of you guys...call Mike Yobe who lives in Tavares, FL and is on the board of directors. His cell is 352-455-6271 or email him at yobeslanding@comcast.net. He checks his email fairly regularly but he ALWAYS has his bluetooth phone with him....

BUIZILLA
09-13-2007, 05:54 PM
I had to send several emails to the club administrator before I got a reply, and they cashed my check about 6 weeks or more after I mailed it, he had a BUNCH of forms and checks then... just received my membership card last week, #232

Budmann
09-13-2007, 06:15 PM
Check and
Reg. sent!! Looks like it would be a fun thing to maybe blend a SEADOG event into.

Bud

rustnrot
10-04-2007, 06:42 PM
With just a little over a month away, on Nov. 9-11, I thought I would bring this to the top.

www.classicraceboatassoc.com

rustnrot
10-24-2007, 08:30 AM
I thought I would post an update to this. My wife and I are in Tavares, FL till mid-Nov and I went to one of the CRA meetings last night. I am just a member, nothing more, so I feel I can comment more frankly than if I was a "stockholder". Let me just ramble to give you all a flavor...
This is a new group so I ask you all to be patient with them as I know you are. Tom D'eath runs a great meeting and the responsibilities appear well delegated for this upcoming event but it is a first time at this venue and I would expect some pains from that. You may recall that Tom D'eath brought the Detroit Gold Cup back from the dead a few years ago.
There are only two Donzi's going to this event so they are letting them run with one of the other classes.
I'd bring my Donzi to Tavares next April instead. Turns out the lake level where they are having it is so low that even the Jersey Skiffs will not be able to be beached, they will have to anchor out between heats, docks either do not exist or are not available due to water level.
There will be about 30 boats of all sorts at this event, probably half are skiffs. Mike Yobe will be the Pit Boss and I will be his assistant and also setting up the race-course.
I expect this to be a fun weekend if any of you want to come by and check it out. There is an admission fee of $27 (normal fee to get into Fantasy of Flight museum) that also covers the boat races, car shows, etc. I was also told that alot of motorcycles are coming also.
http://www.classicraceboatassoc.com/
http://www.fantasyofflight.com/
For those coming to Tavares next spring, I am skipping the wooden boat show and concentrating on the CRA event below.
The 2nd Annual Bernie and Jane Little Memorial Classic Raceboat Regatta
April 4th - 6th, 2008
Make your hotel reservations now at the Best Western of Tavares - Call Nick 352-253-2378

BUIZILLA
10-24-2007, 08:52 AM
Tom, for the Taveres event, maybe some pit space can be dedicated for Donzi owners and their rigs??? For sure, I am bringing the Critter, and a motorhome. I will skip the Dora event. I am pretty confident Scott and Bud/Jack/Jody will also bring their motorhomes. This would mean we would need a little ramp tractor to launch our boats...

maybe we can make this an official Seadog's event on our calender??

thanx

rustnrot
10-24-2007, 03:01 PM
Jim, good ideas. As I go thru this I will keep those things in mind. I know they are very sensitive to the needs of motor homes; at the event this November they said they had lots of hookups available for motorhomes.

BUIZILLA
10-24-2007, 03:36 PM
I know they are very sensitive to the needs of motor homes; at the event this November they said they had lots of hookups available for motorhomes. welp if that's the case, have them get a 300kva residential rental powerplant, with about TEN 30 amp pigtails :yes:

Budmann
10-29-2007, 05:14 PM
I will be there with bells on!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Bud

rustnrot
10-30-2007, 08:12 AM
I'll listen for the bells... Seriously though, did you register and are bringing a boat and if so what is boat's name...I got a week old list and there is a Donzi named Blazer...yours?

rustnrot
11-15-2007, 08:07 AM
This show was partnered with a Florida attraction called Fantasy of Flight, located off I-4 about a half hour or so east of Orlando in the town of Polk City, FL. The festival itself, first annual for Fantasy of Flight was called “Roar ‘n Soar”. There were 2 hours of boating in the morning and 2 hours in the afternoon. Along with the boat racing was a water ski show, radio controlled planes (even a couple of jets), vintage plane flying, a car slalom course, and a static car show. Admission to the museum was also included.

As far as the boating is concerned, the worst problem was the low level of the lake and getting some of the boats launched (some of the large Gentleman’s Runabouts could not be launched), on the small lake adjacent to Fantasy of Flight, called Lake Agnes, where we setup the boat race course. Jersey speed skiffs and hydros that could be crane launched had no problem.

The race course was setup as about a 1.25 mile oval. One of the vintage hydros easily reached 130 or so mph on the straights. Some of the skiffs went 80 or so. While supposed to be “exhibition” racing, don’t tell that to the Skiff Guys. They wore themselves out. There were EMT’s present and 3 rescue boats on the course.

Friday Nov. 8 was spent setting up, those that had motor homes towing boats arrived, and we setup the race course. I saw two Donzi’s there, one was Mike Yobe’s old mahogany decked one (could not be launched) and the other a white - red either 16 or 18 that I only saw on the trailer on Saturday, never launched. If the Donzi’s had been in the water, they were going to be “raced” in the General Class, I believe.

The Fantasy of Flight people were glad the boats were there and I expect the CRA to be back again next year. In my opinion, if the lake level is any lower than it is now by this time next year, the boating will have to be cancelled. If you were a member of CRA and brought your boat, you had free admission to the event and museum.

The next event of the CRA is April 4th - 6th, 2008 in Tavares, FL on Lake Dora. This event will be all-boating and therefore, will be more run-time for the boats since there will be no competition from other events. Lake Dora is much bigger and deeper and Tavares is installing new docks and extending the ramps this winter at their waterfront park, called Wooten Park. (For those of you who have been to the wooden boat show at Mt. Dora, Tavares’s Wooten Park is on the right, just before you go thru the Dora Canal into Lake Eustis).

As far as the Donzi’s are concerned, CRA can accommodate whoever wants to participate. Keep in mind, however, if only a few Donzi’s register they will probably be run together, regardless of size. On the other hand, if you know some of the Skiff Guys and get them to agree and want to race against them for whatever reason, I imagine that can be arranged but I am thinking out loud here. If a lot of Donzi’s register, separate classes can be arranged.

There were more Jersey Skiffs there than anything else. Mainly this was because the Skiff Guys had a representative that lived locally near Tavares and could participate in detail with the planning and recruiting of Skiffs. I think a “Donzi Rep” would help, however, I see this as being someone who lives locally and can attend a couple of the CRA planning meetings and also knows the Donzi Guys here online and elsewhere. While I do not live in Florida, I do know this online community fairly well and also know the CRA members fairly well also. I may be willing to step up and do this but I think it would be better if someone local to the area did it.

Finally, I know several of you were planning on coming to this but because of the lack of organization in processing membership cards by the CRA did not come. I hope they fix this in the future, and I expect them to, as they all seem to be a great bunch of folks that only want to have fun on the water without all the bureaucracy of the APBA.

BUIZILLA
11-15-2007, 08:59 AM
If you were a member of CRA and brought your boat, you had free admission to the event and museum. Tom, didn't you tell me last Friday afternoon that even if I came we were not allowed on the staging grounds unless I had pre-registered, and also then HAD TO PAY the $27 museum fee anyways even though i'm a paid CRA member, and I still HAD TO WALK IN, no boat or motorhome unless pre-registered?? i'm 99.9999999999999999999% sure that's what you said. I do appreciate your trying to help me, don't get me wrong, but today's info is not what I was told.

JH

rustnrot
11-15-2007, 09:12 AM
JH, everything you just said is true. CRA membership alone was not enough to get in to the event/museum. To get in "free", you had to do all 3 of these:

1. Pre-register in advance for the event (no cost to CRA members)
2. Bring a boat to the event
3. Participate in the CRA event